Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-10-2001   #1
f-crazy
GTA Member

tail lenses

i didnt have n e luck were it was at so maybe yall will see it here?

tail lenses
the 92 gta tail lenses are blacked out the 91's are not...i know there arent really any differences between a 91 and a 92 so is it possible to put the blacked-out tail lenses from a 92 on a 91??
i really like the look of them blacked out....what are the other differences between a 91 and a 92??.. besides far greater rareity
and also how the hell do i get my wheels to really shine (the chrome part) im gonna repaint the lace gold this winter or maybe black i dunno yet...but i wanna get the outter to really shine and i havent been able to yet..... thanks guys
"crazy"
f-crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001   #2
tommydodso
GTA OWNER

i would not paint the rims black some where on the message boards they talked abled about the paint code for the gold crosslace. i would look on here first and paint them gold if anything. what color is your car. the black rims only go with certain ones in my opinion.but to each his own. the polish for the wheels try "mothers" you can get it in autozone i work there part time. it is really good. i have not put none on in a long time. if i get the chance i will look for the gold color code and post it here.
hope this helps.
tommy
88 flame red 350 5.7 flame red digital dash
tommydodso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
The correct gold color for the GTA rims is Code 52... it is listed in most paint stores' books as a GM wheel color. Good luck!

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001   #4
f-crazy
GTA Member

the car is bright red....as is most gtas....okk that covers the paint for the wheels and the polish.....what about the tail lenses??
*looks over at frankie*
Old 12-11-2001   #5
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Actually, the 1991 taillamps were the blacked out ones, if memory serves. The 1992 models had the red P-O-N-T-I-A-C in the center sections, according to my information.

The 1991 lamps should be easier to find, since many more cars were built during that year. The 1991 GTA that I had a shot at buying last year had the blackout lenses on it.

But, yes, as far as fitment goes.... either year's lamps should interchange....

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001   #6
f-crazy
GTA Member

the 92's looked like they were tinted....like u said with the red pontiac across the center but the lenses werent smoked like the 91 they were almost like they had headlight covers over them to completly black them out
heres a 92 http://www.1le.org/Leo92ta1le2.jpg
the lenses are tinted which is what i like....i could buy those from the dealer right??
Old 12-11-2001   #7
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Talking

Hey F-Crazy, I think the reason why those tail lenses look "Blacked Out" is because the picture was taken during a dark cloudy day. I've seen my GTA from the same angle when it was dark outside and it looked exactly the same way.

-Fred

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001   #8
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

I almost forgot...

Also forgot to mention earlier... The "PONTIAC" logos on the rear tail lenses of the '91-'92 cars easily fade away. I've seen a lot of '91 Trans Ams with no PONTIAC on the tail lenses. Since they fade so easily, most owners just strip it all off. Mine is also fading but I haven't stripped it all off since I'm gonna get it re-painted, and I want the shop painting it to have a reference of how it's suposed to look like.

-Fred

Old 12-12-2001   #9
f-crazy
GTA Member

damn i was looking so forward to having blacked out lenses lol....
what about the reflector right abover the lenses?? ive seen som pictures were they looked like they light up but it may be light i dunno....i guess i just had the midset of them blacked oout that im looking for n e reason to keep this going lol...but seriously i havce seen some pictures on a sunny day were the lenses were in fact blacked out....i will look for these pictures and post them here...
ok as far as wheel polishing goes....i cant get them to shine like new...i can get them really clean but they still got what looks like film on them...and the lace part....i used a toothbrush to clean that but that took about 45 mins/wheel n e suggestions??

i locked my keys in my car today *smacks forehead* lol
thanks guys
ill keep you posted about the lenses
"crazy"
Old 12-12-2001   #10
f-crazy
GTA Member

i forgot.....what the red pontiac between the lenses painted or a sticker???
i really want that back because u cant really telll what it says unless you know what it says or u get real close...and would that light up at night were youd see "pontiac" between the lenses
Old 12-12-2001   #11
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Talking Tail Lenses

Yeah it's cool, I'd love to get a 2 piece set to completely black out the tail lenses if I could ever find any. Anyway, the PONTIAC logo was painted on the tail lens. I believe it was more of a dark orange color. Besides, after this whole Ram Air mod I'm planning, I won't be able to afford much of anything in the near future anywayz... so no taillight blackouts for me And no, unfortunately they don't light up, but maybe you can get creative and rig a lighted setup? Anywayz, good luck with that.

-Fred

Old 12-14-2001   #12
Tonyrodz
GM Enthusiast

Question Lighted Pontiac

I've always wished I could figure out a way to get that P-o-n-t-i-a-c to light up myself. Remember the later fieros had them lit? Wonder if someone could graft that on??
Tonyrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002   #13
f-crazy
GTA Member

tail lenses

ok guys how does this sound
i take the lenses out and with a razor blade "trace" the outline of "pontiac" leaving a space were the light would shine through...then id take a peice of red transparent plastic a adhere it to the back of the lenses...thebn id splice a light or something into the wiring so when i turn the lights on itll light up....this will also look red when the light are not on....
does n e obne know if the brake lights and the lights are on the same circuit??..that would be cool if it lit up when the lights were off when i stepped on the brakes...kinda like the 3rd brake light above the hatch
how does my idea sound???
let me know guys
"crazy"
Old 01-14-2002   #14
f-crazy
GTA Member

no response??
Old 01-16-2002   #15
f-crazy
GTA Member

either yall dont know about what im trying to do or you just dont feel like responding...i dunno which one but i was kinda looking forward to seeing some sort of response as to if this would be something that would work..but i havent done it so thats the point of posting here to get opinions on certain issues...either way im going to do it, but i was just looking for some assistance maybe someone who has electrical knowledge...
WHEN i get this to work yall who want that pontiac emblem lit up..i will be giving out instructions
later
Old 01-21-2002   #16
f-crazy
GTA Member

still no response
lol
figures
Old 01-24-2002   #17
f-crazy
GTA Member

everyday i see more people who have viewed this post but noone responds..lol *shakes head*
Old 01-24-2002   #18
Tonyrodz
GM Enthusiast

Arrow

Ok buddy--hmm--I think you have the right idea there--it'll be like the later Fiero GT's--when the pontiac lit up--but-once you cut it out maybe you should clear it somehow--to fill in that gap you'll have once it's cut out--so nothing collects in it. On ebay I found vinyl lettering that looks exactly like the letters that rub off of the lights, but I'm not sure on the size--they don't give the size.
Have you started on it yet? I think we'd all love to see pics of the finished product!
Old 01-24-2002   #19
Tonyrodz
GM Enthusiast

Forgot--I'm not sure about the circuits for the lights on the T/A's--but if you wanted to you could always splice into the license plate light--so the pontiac will light up once you put the lights on(at night).
Let us all know if you're gonna do this.
Old 01-24-2002   #20
f-crazy
GTA Member

i never thought about the license plate light...thats a good idea!
thats why i havent started it yet..people throw around there ideas on top of mine and it helps thank you....
could i splice it into the plate light and to the brake lights as well so when i stepped on the brakes it would light up as well
i will defintely take some pics of it when im done...i have a good feeling about this and im sure it will look bad ass
thanks buddy =)
"crazy"