Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-22-2001   #1
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Help Me Please I need good advices..help

This question I have may be for Mr. Frankie. I've been working on my engine for a while. I have all of the engine parts out of car. I did very nice job sandblasting exhaust manifolds and repainting with 1500 Degree paint, etc. My question is: I now am at a fork in road. I wonder, should I rebuild original engine or should I replace original engine with replacement engine from GM Dealer. First, Please let me know if this original engine matters to be in car for highest collector prices. Or does it not matter. GM have replacement motor brand new, made back in 1987. I fear that getting rid of original engine might be big mistake. Is it like Mopar where everything is date coded? Thank you for your informations. Yumiko - Happy Thanks Giving everyone
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Yumiko, you bet it will matter in the future if your GTA has the original engine in it. For any type of collector car, that is the first thing a prospective buyer will want to know. If these cars indeed become collector cars in the future, it will pay to have the original engine in there.

Yes, the engines are stamped with part of the VIN to tie the two together. The transmission is also stamped with a partial VIN. These stampings are what constitute the important "numbers matching" criteria.

It would be easier and quicker to just put a new GM engine in there, but you'd lose the originality of the car. If you elect to take that route, be sure to keep the original engine so you will have it in the future.... if you're interested in keeping your GTA for the long haul, that is.

Good luck!

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001   #3
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Skull & Crossbones Thank you so much

Thank you so much for your advice. I appreciating that. I think now that you confirm originality, I will continue my plan to rebuild original engine. Yumiko
Old 11-25-2001   #4
Red88GTA
GTA Member

I see you are planning a rebuild also. I just finished mine.. I also rebuilt my original engine. It is bored .30 over, but one cylinder had to have a sleeve put in it. ARGH!. Unfortunately, I too wanted too keep my engine original to the car. The GM dealership wanted $1800 just for the bottom end and I couldn't justify that. I found a place in Dallas, TX that has a direct replacement 300 horsepower engine for $1850, but I still was able to rebuild my engine, including all sensors, injectors services, all new cooling system and etc (including that fuel pump you helped me with) for the same amount of money. I chickened out though, I had an experienced Chevy guy do the bottom end and the heads for under a $1000 with a 1 year warranty.
Red88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001   #5
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Cool Good Informations!!

I'm glad that fuel pump is finished. It is a terrable job I would have to say. Thank you for the information about rebuilding engine. What conditions were your cylinders in when you take of the heads? Were you able to feel some piston slap in cylinders? Mr. Frankie mention to me about some numbers on original block and on transmission. Would you or anyone know where these numbers can be located? Please let me know because I am very interested to see for myself.

I have a friend at GM dealership and he get me some really great deal (prices). Even though with "discounts", it still is costing me some moneys "big time!" I just spend this sunday sandblasting all of brackets that hold the power steering, A/C, air pump, and alternator units to engine block. I painted these brackets with really nice color gloss black paint that can take high temperatures. Prior I took apart all of the exhaust manifolds and sandblasted them too. I then painting them with 1500 degree flat aluminum color paint. I then reassembled them (heat shields, O2 sensor, and the smog tubes). I replaced all of the bolts with brand new bolts and washers from the dealership. I painted these bolts and washers with cast iron color (1500 degree paint). I also replaced the black valves that are attach to the smog tubes, one on each side. I sandblasted the intake manifold and took a wire brush and SOS pads to cleaned out all of intake ports. No traces of dirt at all. Before I do this, the inside is full of carbon buildups and oils. I also redo the valve covers. I used paint stripper to get all the old finish off the original one. I scrubb them with SOS pad.I painted them with 500 degree aluminum gloss paint color. I finish them with original valve cover gaskets from the dealership (rubber - not after market cork). I am looking at parts right now. How shall I say....they look very sweet!
I doing all of the cosmetics right now. I will bring heads and block in to get redone at another time. I am sort of skeptical thinking when I think about the block and heads. I want to find a shop that can give me good quality services. I already removes just alittle bit of the excessive materials in the exhaust port sections of the heads. I show block to my friends and they cannot believe that my cylinders show no sign of "piston slap" at 250,000 miles. Is this normal? I'm not too keen with making race car out of this but I do want my stock GTA to look like show car and also remain a stock GTA.

Anyway, I have to be taking some photos now of all my engine parts on dining room table. I must add these shots to my "baby pictures" collection. Thank you. Yumiko
Old 11-26-2001   #6
Red88GTA
GTA Member

This engine I did actually had excellent oil change and care history. The problem is that when the one head cracked, it let water on top of the pistons.. The water sat so long that it formed rust, and one cylinder just couldn't be fixed. I have some pictures that are just disasterous looking.

I too did alot of painting and alot of replacing. The manifold, I took to the engine shop and when they dipped it, it came out clean inside and out. The runners I did myself. The exhaust manifolds had to have new heat shields put on them. I plan on taking the runners back off later to get them to the "chrome" look. But the only thing I wish I had patience to do was paint the engine bay, which would require lots of disassembly. I just want this thing to drive then I plan on dissassembling sections and refinishing and etc.

Don't know where all the numbers are and what to look for. This is the only area I never took time to learn on the car
Red88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001   #7
gtayumiko
GTA Member

First, I am sorry to hear about your brother in Colorado was it? Sorry to hear of your losses. I have same a 87' GTA and I also bought it when brand new in dealership. What color was your brother's GTA? Mine is burgundy with saddle tan interiors. Yes, I fall in love with car when I first see it at dealership. Actually I see one white 87' GTA in Japan before I come to America the same year. But I didn't paying attention to GTA in Japan at the time, only Nissan Skyline and Fairlady Z (In America the Fairlady Z is called Nissan 300 ZX) It all the same except steering wheel on opposite side of car.

I too have been contemplate painting engine compartment. You are right when you mentions the amounts of working involved with those jobs. I don't know if I have enough bravery to remove wires and all the electrical components to get clean painting without any over spray. I'm still contemplate about it. I was looking at all of the hot air/water hoses and the brackets last night. I'm getting sorts of scared if I can put all back in right fashion. I don't want to forget how it come apart.

Anyways, thank you for the information and suggestions. Too bad that one of your cylinder rusting out because of the water damage. But you must have fixed o.k. so that is good result. And really sorry about your brother, if I am not mistake it is your brother right? Sorry about that one o.k. Yumiko
Old 12-17-2001   #8
NCMCSS
GTA - F-Body Member

Engine wear

I just took my engine apart from my '87. It has 243,000 miles on it. The crank shaft was bad and needed a new rod too. The block showed minimal wear only .005 wear. They bored to .020 over. It is costing alot but I beleive my shop is good. I deal with some NASCAR related shops and they sent me to this shop.
You can probably talk to a local race shop and team for where they get engine or block work done.
HTH
NCMCSS is offline   Reply With Quote