Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > NON-GTA SPECIFIC > GENERAL TECH (NON-GTA)

GENERAL TECH (NON-GTA) Got a technical question or problem with your non-GTA vehicle but want the expertise of the GTA community? Post your non-GTA technical questions here!

Old 04-14-2013   #1
87tunedport

EGR valve

would a faulty EGR valve cause my engine to run hot? i know it takes burned gases and sends them back into combustion chamber to lower combustion temps and reduce the formation of NOx. if its not functioning properly or at all temps are gonna be higher right? i think someone modified it so it wont work. i have a metal pipe on my catalytic converter that looks like it was crimped shut and im not sure if that where a tube for my EGR goes. ill try to get a pic tomorrow, but does anybody have any help for me?
87tunedport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #2
merc3065

Re: EGR valve

EGR pulls exhaust gasses from the crossover ports in the heads.
It should have a temp sensor (black wire) and a vac line.

If it's not working it will throw a code, I can't recall which one at the moment.

The tube on your catalytic converter is for clean air to be pushed into it during start up from the A.I.R. system. By putting clean air into the catalytic converter, it will heat up faster and allow it to burn off/convert the exhaust gasses properly.

By having it capped off, you probably dont have the AIR system(smog equipment). If your manifolds/headers dont have little tubes coming off them, you more than likely do not have it hooked up or installed anymore.

I can't say that it runs hotter or cooler when it's operating other than it is used for emissions purposes mostly.
Old 04-15-2013   #3
89JerseyGTA

I had egr codes on my 5.7, didn't run hot, just very rough.
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)
89JerseyGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #4
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom

I had mine programmed out...

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #5
87tunedport

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
EGR pulls exhaust gasses from the crossover ports in the heads.
It should have a temp sensor (black wire) and a vac line.

If it's not working it will throw a code, I can't recall which one at the moment.

The tube on your catalytic converter is for clean air to be pushed into it during start up from the A.I.R. system. By putting clean air into the catalytic converter, it will heat up faster and allow it to burn off/convert the exhaust gasses properly.

By having it capped off, you probably dont have the AIR system(smog equipment). If your manifolds/headers dont have little tubes coming off them, you more than likely do not have it hooked up or installed anymore.

I can't say that it runs hotter or cooler when it's operating other than it is used for emissions purposes mostly.
ok thanks for the info yes i was told the smog pump was removed. i really didnt know much about the egr system or setup other than it sent burnt exhaust gasses back into combustion chamber to reduce NOx formation i appreciate the info sometimes i do get a SES light but seldom.
Old 04-20-2013   #6
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I have a 1987 GTA with the 350 engine and in my situation when the EGR valve stay open, it will overheat, but it also made the service engine soon light turn on. But also remember that when this happened to my GTA, it was completely original.

In my GTAs situation, the mechanic that changed the head gaskets in 1993 forgot to reconnect the temperature sensor wire that comes from the sensor on the EGR valve. So I do not know the exact specific information, but the computer would keep the EGR valve open because it was not receiving the correct temperature reading from the sensor, since it was not connected. My engine would be hot during this time. I took many photographs of the engine before the mechanic did this work and so I reviewed all of them and discovered that this wire was not properly connected. So after reconnecting it my self, the engine started to run cooler and the service engine soon light stopped coming on when the engine would get at a specific temperature.

Now you must understand that this is the way it is designed while it is in the original configuration from the GM factory. Since there are many things about your GTA that have been altered, it may be a different situation in your case. My GTAs entire smog system was correctly installed. Your GTA is not the same so I would not know about your situation. Good luck.

Yumiko
Old 04-27-2013   #7
87tunedport

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
I have a 1987 GTA with the 350 engine and in my situation when the EGR valve stay open, it will overheat, but it also made the service engine soon light turn on. But also remember that when this happened to my GTA, it was completely original.

In my GTAs situation, the mechanic that changed the head gaskets in 1993 forgot to reconnect the temperature sensor wire that comes from the sensor on the EGR valve. So I do not know the exact specific information, but the computer would keep the EGR valve open because it was not receiving the correct temperature reading from the sensor, since it was not connected. My engine would be hot during this time. I took many photographs of the engine before the mechanic did this work and so I reviewed all of them and discovered that this wire was not properly connected. So after reconnecting it my self, the engine started to run cooler and the service engine soon light stopped coming on when the engine would get at a specific temperature.

Now you must understand that this is the way it is designed while it is in the original configuration from the GM factory. Since there are many things about your GTA that have been altered, it may be a different situation in your case. My GTAs entire smog system was correctly installed. Your GTA is not the same so I would not know about your situation. Good luck.

Yumiko
ahh i see. i was just exploring a possible cause for running hot (pointer on the digital temp gauge reads 3/4 up the gauge
Old 04-28-2013   #8
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

These birds always run hot due to the signature of the front ends having no vents alllowing fresh air to pass through the radiator. My first check would be if you still have your 3 piece air dams that mount underneath. They are known to break off from parking too close to curbs and the concrete stops in parking lots.
Old 04-30-2013   #9
87tunedport

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarch View Post
These birds always run hot due to the signature of the front ends having no vents alllowing fresh air to pass through the radiator. My first check would be if you still have your 3 piece air dams that mount underneath. They are known to break off from parking too close to curbs and the concrete stops in parking lots.
no it was broken off but previous owner rigged up some sort of plexi glass dam
Old 10-21-2013   #10
86TA355SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89JerseyGTA View Post
I had egr codes on my 5.7, didn't run hot, just very rough.
I am interested in the rough running part. I have a 'miss' in my 91 through idle and all RPMs. Doesn't matter if it is hot or cold.

It is driving me nuts because there is no reason for it. I have checked the fuel system (new pump, filter, lines, injectors), replaced the ignition (plugs, wires, cap, module and have excellent spark), timing is correct, and tons of other stuff.

I may just put an EGR valve on it over winter and see what happens. This car has had this issue since I bought it in '95! I hardly ever drive it so it isn't a big deal, but it is driving me nuts trying to figure it out....
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #11
89JerseyGTA

Egr can make rough running, its like a giant vac leak. They do go bad.
But by rough I mean grizzly bear under the hood rough ... not just a miss.

Any codes ?

After 2 egr valve replacements, mine still throws the SES light (32) when cold, but not hot. I did change the CTS, now I am going to try the IAT under the plenum. See what happens, just had plenum off, not motivated to do it anytime soon.
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)
Old 10-22-2013   #12
86TA355SR

No codes and it doesn't run rough like you described.

I think I am going to put one on it anyhow, it is the original and couldn't hurt. After all, it is 22 yrs old...
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #13
89JerseyGTA

Can test it before you unbolt it. Squeeze it up from bottom, put finger over the vac hose nipple, if it drops back down .. then bad.

If you do replace, don't put crappy napa one in.
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)
Old 11-29-2014   #14
89JerseyGTA

All done !

New EGR
Used Solenoid
New EGR temp sensor
Reman Bosch III injectors 22lb
New stock FPR
New TPI gaskets
New IAT

Car runs great now. Found that when I went to change the Throttle body gasket, all 4 bolts were finger loose, spun them out with fingers.
So I think I was losing vacuum and egr wasn't liking it, old egr seemed fine, but put new one in anyway.

Took out for a nice ride today.

So thanks for all the help, car starts up real nice now and runs smooth with all new injectors.
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)