Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-22-2007   #1
paformula

Question power antenna wiring? need help!

I'm trying to get my power antenna to work. The problem is in the wiring for sure, since I can make the antenna work by putting direct power to it. Otherwise all you hear is a clunk from the antenna motor when you turn the key to ACC. I have an Alpine head unit and there is no voltage from the blue wire for power antenna. Should there be 12V there for the antenna to go up? All I have is a test light, no voltmeter yet. I noticed there was 12V at the orange wire at the relay. Oh, also I tried a new power antenna relay, no change.

Ideas?

thanks in advance
paformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #2
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: power antenna wiring? need help!

Hmmm stereo's is not exactly one of my specialties, sorry.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #3
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

GTA Year: 1988

I'm using a '92 shop manual here. Not sure if there was any change between years, but:

At the relay the pink wire should have a positive 12 volts when the radio is turned on. The black wire is ground, and the orange wire is the positive 12 volts that should be "hot" at all times.

Basically, the orange wire powers the antenna, and the pink wire turns the relay on.

To test with a test light, turn the key to ON and turn the radio ON. Hook one end of the test light to the ground, then the other end to the pink wire. You should have power to the test light.
Old 03-22-2007   #4
gtayumiko
GTA Member

This problem with the wires may be a little more complicated then that. You see, depending on if you are turning the radio on or off, the wires use both positive and negative currents. I will look at my GM Service Manual and find the diagram with some instructions to be certain of this. Yumiko
Old 03-22-2007   #5
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
This problem with the wires may be a little more complicated then that. You see, depending on if you are turning the radio on or off, the wires use both positive and negative currents. I will look at my GM Service Manual and find the diagram with some instructions to be certain of this. Yumiko
gtayumiko, the reverse effect is in the power antenna motor itself, not in the relay, nor in the radio.

The pink wire turns on the relay. With the relay on, the orange wire then can supply the voltage to the power antenna.

Last edited by JeremyT; 03-22-2007 at 09:48 PM.
JeremyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #6
gtayumiko
GTA Member

This is what my GM Service manual explains.

There are three wires: Green, Grey, and White.

To raise antenna - green is positive and grey is negative
To lower antenna - white is positive and green is negative

I guess what you will need to do and the safest way so you do not burn out the antenna is perhaps get a volt meter and check each wire one at a time while you turn the stereo on and then off. Note what currents each wire has when the stereo is turned on and off. Turning it on, the antenna should go up. Turning off, it should go down. But remember that the stereo has to be the type that has this fuction where it sends currents to an antenna motor. I know some aftermarket stereos do not. And some only do it if you have the radio on and not a tape or cd in it. Hope that this helps. Yumiko
Old 03-22-2007   #7
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

gtayumiko, that's actually in the antenna motor itself, not the relay or radio.

It sounds like his problem is even getting power to the relay.
Old 03-22-2007   #8
gtayumiko
GTA Member

I am not a stereo person either so I really do not know much about it, especially when you need information about electical stuff. Sorry But I tried helping.

Anyways, where do the three wires come from that eventually connect to the antenna motor? I always thought that they come from the stereo itself since the motor is activated by turning on or off the stereo. And the one wire that is orange that paformula mentioned as always having 12v. I think this one is to connect into the stereo and this one supplies power to the radio for the clock and preset stations so when you turn off the car, power will still go to the radio to keep all this in the memory. If you disconnect the stereo completely or if you disconnect the car battery, you will loose the clock setting and preset stations. Having the orange wire connected to the stereo will keep current to it even when you turn off the car. Hope this helps. Yumiko
Old 03-22-2007   #9
paformula

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyT
gtayumiko, that's actually in the antenna motor itself, not the relay or radio.

It sounds like his problem is even getting power to the relay.
I think you're right Jeremy. I just went out and put the test light to the pink wire at the relay and there was nothing. I didn't even hear the antenna motor clunk. There is no power(or not enough) coming from the blue wire lead right out of the Alpine connector. Maybe it is the head unit, like gtayumiko says.

I must say, thanks for all the fast replies. I posted on thirdgen.org last nite, and not one reply.
Old 03-22-2007   #10
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
I am not a stereo person either so I really do not know much about it, especially when you need information about electical stuff. Sorry But I tried helping.

Anyways, where do the three wires come from that eventually connect to the antenna motor? I always thought that they come from the stereo itself since the motor is activated by turning on or off the stereo. And the one wire that is orange that paformula mentioned as always having 12v. I think this one is to connect into the stereo and this one supplies power to the radio for the clock and preset stations so when you turn off the car, power will still go to the radio to keep all this in the memory. If you disconnect the stereo completely or if you disconnect the car battery, you will loose the clock setting and preset stations. Having the orange wire connected to the stereo will keep current to it even when you turn off the car. Hope this helps. Yumiko
The orange wire to the relay should be hot at all times. When the pink wire to the relay becomes "hot" (due to the radio being turned on), the relay contacts will close and basically "tie" the orange 12+ volt wire to the dark green wire. When the radio is turned off, it turns off the relay by removing power to the pink wire. When this happens, the orange 12+ volt wire then supplies voltage to the white wire.

I guess I should correct myself. The relay does do some of the reverse, but the power antenna motor itself has the switch also plays a role in working correctly and grounding the motor correctly. Sorry for that error.

I believe the problem in this case is that the pink wire to the relay, which is connected to the radio, is not being used. Therefore, the antenna will always remain down.
Old 03-22-2007   #11
paformula

The orange wire is hot even with the key off. Do you think it would be safe to run a jumper from the pink wire at the relay to the blue wire terminal at the radio? At least to determine the problem...?
Old 03-22-2007   #12
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

The orange wire should be hot at all times, so that is correct. If you shut of your vehicle that had the radio on and the power antenna up, the power antenna needs to retract - and it does.

Since you are using an aftermarket stereo, I have to ask what blue wire terminal is the aftermarket stereo using? As gtayumkio mentioned, you may have an aftermarket radio that does not have an output wire that provides a 12volt source only when the radio is turned on.
Old 03-23-2007   #13
paformula

I am using the blue wire that is labeled for power antenna. There is a blue/white wire for remote lead that I left unhooked. The head unit is an Alpine 7870, about 6 yrs old.
Old 03-23-2007   #14
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

When you turn the radio on, do you see 12+ volts at the blue wire directly from the radio? In simple terms, I'm asking if the radio is even outputting 12+ volts when it should. Testing directly at the wire is best to eliminate a possible connection issue to the relay.

Know that would help isolate the issue.

I'm not quite familiar with the GTA radio wiring. I'll look it up in my shop manual latter. Are you sure you hooked up the blue wire from your radio, to the correct wire on the harness side of the vehicle?
Old 03-23-2007   #15
paformula

The test light dos not light up when probing the blue wire directly from the radio. And the blue wire from the radio is connected to the blue wire on the adapter harness. Some voltage must be coming from it though cuz if I disconnect it, the antenna does NOT make any noise at all.
Old 03-23-2007   #16
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paformula
The test light dos not light up when probing the blue wire directly from the radio. And the blue wire from the radio is connected to the blue wire on the adapter harness. Some voltage must be coming from it though cuz if I disconnect it, the antenna does NOT make any noise at all.
Do you not have a pink wire at the vehicle's wire harness side that would attach to the radio? I don't have a good wire diagram.
Old 03-23-2007   #17
paformula

Yes, there is a pink wire. Here are pics of what I'm dealing with, the last 2 are from the '87 service manual:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...3-23-07004.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...3-23-07007.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...3-23-07008.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...r-ant-sch1.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...r-ant-sch2.jpg
Old 03-23-2007   #18
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

This is what I don't understand:

Quote:
And the blue wire from the radio is connected to the blue wire on the adapter harness.
This sounds wrong. I would *think* that the pink wire at the vehicle harness should be connected to the blue wire of the radio. The pink wire at the vehicle harness goes to the power antenna relay. It needs 12+ volts when the key is turned on and the radio is on to allow the power antenna to actually function. You stated that the blue wire from the aftermarket radio is labeled power antenna. From the wiring diagram, the blue wires at the vehicle harness side are for the speakers. That's why I *think* it should be the way I provided and that it sounds like it's connected wrong.

I would ask to know why you have blue wire to blue wire, before suggesting you do anything that might damage something.

However, if you are getting nothing from the radio's blue wire when you turn the radio on, I suspect you're still going to have a problem as it sounds like something is wrong with the radio. I will attempt to lookup the radio and see if I can provide further help.

Last edited by JeremyT; 03-23-2007 at 10:53 PM.
JeremyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #19
paformula

The blue pwr antenna wire connects to the blue wire of the adapter harness and then connects to the pink wire of the vehicle harness.
Old 03-26-2007   #20
paformula

Just an update: I'm pretty sure I figured it out. Yumiko actually was close. The alpine CD player was the problem, it apparently wasn't putting out enough volts to trigger the relay. I swapped it with a Fosgate and the antenna worked. I hope it stays working...