Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-13-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

Replacement radio with cd player

I have an 89 GTA, but the radio signal keeps fading in and out. At some points I can get all the stations, then at other times I can only get 1 local station. I've checked all the wiring to the antenna and everything seems to check out. I have the original radio with cassette player and steering wheel controls. I understand that there was an option to put a cd player in GTAs. Is it possible to put a factory cd player that came in GTAs and still get the steering wheel controls to work? Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2001   #2
REMOVED USER

yeah

I'm not entirely sure if any of them came with cd players from the factory given the years of production for these cars ... but I do know that someone ... I'll try and find out who ... makes a little gizmo that will allow your steering wheel controls to work with an aftermarket cd-player if your interested.

Gaillen
Old 07-14-2001   #3
REMOVED USER

Re: Replacement radio with cd player

My '89 came factory with a CD player and I have no radio controls in the steering wheel , thats how GTA's with CD came. As for the CD working with your controls not sure if it will work but like Gaillan said there is some sort of box out their somewhere ?? Do you have a Fact. CD player to hook up ??
Old 07-15-2001   #4
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

<< My '89 came factory with a CD player and I have no radio controls in the steering wheel , thats how GTA's with CD came. >>

Bingo! Indeed, these 1989 CD-equipped GTAs did NOT use the steering wheel controls (SWC), but instead the standard T/A leather wrapped wheel.

I have one of these U1A CD players in my red '88 GTA, and the unit I have does have a connection on the back for steering wheel controls, but the SWC plug is different. The U1A CD unit has a 5-pin hookup, whereas our cars use a 2-pin plug. 89GTAwCD, does your radio have this SWC port on the backside of it? The radio I have is a model 1990 unit. My dealer thinks if I can locate the proper SWC plug for the back, we can trace out the wiring and get the wheel controls to work with this Delco CD radio as well.

Yes, there is an interface that will work with our cars' steering wheel controls; made by PAC, it is a three wire hookup, and I am in the process of trying to hook one up in the Notchback at the present time. You MUST have a wireless remote-equipped stereo for this interface to work. It "teaches" the wheel controls the functions from the radio's wireless remote control, so the programmable functions will no doubt vary from radio to radio.

I will definitely post more as I get more into the installation.....

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001   #5
REMOVED USER

I found out a few interesting things talking to a tech at mnrelectronics.com. He told me that the 89 GTA steering wheel controls were unique to the 89, and the electronic architecture would not allow the use of any other factory head units. I too am going thru a similar situation. I wanted to keep a factory look, and contacted mnrelectronics for a newer unit with cd. I was impressed with their knowledge and the willingness not to sell me something I didn't need. I have talked to the folks at PAC, and they said that the 89 needs the SWI-7 steering wheel control interface. All one has to do is purchase a head unit with a wireless remote. So, I finally found a head unit that will match the red interior lights. I hope to get to pick up a Kenwood V 6017 or the V 7017 this week. Crutchfield.com has some good pics of the head unit.

Frankie, I have one of the plug-ins that you are talking about, but I don't believe it will work, as per the tech guy I was talking about. If your guy can prove him wrong, please let us know, as the plug-ins you are talking about are abundant in the salvage yards on just about any Grand Am's or Grand Prix's.
Old 07-16-2001   #6
REMOVED USER

reception

I've found that quite often, the antenna is to blame even when there are no visible indicators. If the radio fades in and out inconsistantly, I'd put money on it being the antenna. Even after 3 radio swaps in my 86 Sport Coupe, in the rural area I live in, some days my radio reception is terrible. In my IROC, it's always consistant (though not stellar by any means). My IROC suffered the same inconsistancy until I put the new antenna in.

Also keep in mind that for the average radio listener, the stock unit will often provide better clarity than an aftermarket piece when poor signal strength is present. Aftermarket radios tend to maintain stereo separation, whereas a stock radio will gradually blend the signal to mono, which can substantially reduce static.
Old 07-18-2001   #7
REMOVED USER

Re: reception

Not sure Frankie , it's stuffed in the dash. I did buy a spare Fact. CD player from a guy selling one on ebay saying it was from a GTA. I'll have to look at that one :rollin:

Old 08-14-2001   #8
REMOVED USER

hummmmm....

So, would we be interested in selling this spare CD Player????

Jay