Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-09-2002   #1
dougdez
execute order 66

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
91 cd player in an 88gta

i was wondering if anybody knows if an 91 grand prix cd player would work in an 88 model gta? and still allow the wheel mounted controls work as well. the grand prix that i removed this stereo from also had controls on the wheel. and also how do i unlock the cd player? does anybody have some info here? thanks douglas p.s. here's a pic of the stereo
dougdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002   #2
Dj92GTA
GTA Member

you unlock it by hitting the mute button on the steering wheel radio controls... i think.. been awhile since i had my 89... it should work from the grand prix as they probably used the same comms protocols... just pop it in and try...
Old 12-10-2002   #3
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Doug, I have the same U1A CD player in my GTA right now. On those systems, you did not hit the mute button. Instead, the security was either turned on or disabled as per the owner's discretion. The way to deactivate the secrity system would be to enter the security code that was chosen by the owner. The code would be entered much like setting the clock. Otherwise, if the right code is not entered, then the security system would reman active and would not allow the system to function. I suggest getting on the phone with whoever you bought the stereo from and seeing if they have the code somewhere. Good luck.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002   #4
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

If memory serves me here (back me up, Fred....), the later model CD players use a different style plug for the steering wheel controls to connect to the back of the stereo.

The '88 uses a 2-wire plug and I believe the later models used either a 4 or 5-wire plug instead.

Trust me, if this unit had worked in an '88 GTA with the remote radio controls.... Fred wouldn't have a Delco CD player right now.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002   #5
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Yes, you are correct Frankie, the plug on the back is not a two-wire connection.

The CD player works great!! Got it in there just in time... I'm doing my stereo system this spring...

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002   #6
dougdez
execute order 66

hey guys ,here's why i asked if the radio would work. my friend has an 90 model grand prix turbo.his car has steering wheel mounted controls,although the wheel is different the radio is the same as my 88 gta. see picture. i got this cd player from an 91 model grand prix which has the same steering wheel,,the plug in harness is the same ,,except the smaller harness has 5 wires as to where the cassette has only 3. now i'll bet there is a simple way to make this work,,,right? or has anyone tried this already? does anyone know what each wire on the smaller harness is for? this may still only be a shot in the dark,but i was hoping i could have a factory pontiac cd player and make the gta steering wheel controls work also. any help would be awesome,,,thanks douglas
Old 12-31-2002   #7
dougdez
execute order 66

cd player

ok guys does anyone have a few idea's here? im sure there has to be a simple solution to making this cd player work with the steering wheel. anyone? anyone?
Old 12-31-2002   #8
SLZ

Im doing this swap in my 89 Formula 350. Im using the same CD player as is shown in the pic as well as the updated steering wheel /controls shown in that GP. However the wheel Im using is from a 90-91 Bonneville SSE because the back of the wheel is round to match our columns. The wiring harness for the 88-89 style controls in the column and the 90-91 Bonneville SSE are different. As of this point the CD player wont run off the 88-89 controls because of a difference in protocol. You have to run the setup that Im trying to get done. The 90-91 SSE column wiring is different than the 90-91 GP style due to the column construction so thats why Im going with the SSE style. Theres 5 wires that run from the column to a circuit card at the base of the column and from there they somehow interface with the CD player(same goes for 90-91 tape decks). Where Im at right now is getting this tied into the CD player. I need to go to the library and look thru the 90-91 SSE service manuals(Helms I believe) and look at the wiring schematic on how its done. Hope this helps in some sort of way. STEVE Z aka SLZ

Check out http://www.z-mods.com for all kinds of cool stuff on my Firebird and Turbo T
SLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002   #9
SLZ

Ill attach a photo of what the setup looks like in the car at this time. By the way, does anyone have a 90-91 SSE leather steering wheel in great shape(in grey or black)? I have one but its worn but its the best that I could do to get this project going. Thanks, STEVE Z

Check out http://www.z-mods.com for all kinds of cool stuff on my Firebird and Turbo T
SLZ is offline   Reply With Quote