Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-22-2002   #1
Gaillen
GTA Member

AC removal

Anyone out there willing to help me? Need some good advice or details on how to remove my AC, or all my heating/cooling stuff from the engine if anyones done that too. I've never used the heating or cooling and I could really use the interior and engine bay space. Any help is much appreciated.

Gaillen

'87 GTA Porsche style mirrors
700R4, 305, T-tops.
1500w Stereo system, nothing but top of the line.
Gaillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002   #2
Ozzy88GTA
Old Timer

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic
I've never had to remove any of that stuff but it should not be hard. The AC system needs to be evacuated by a repair shop since they have to recover the R-12. After that it's just a matter of unbolting everything. The ducts, cores and other AC and heat controls are not so easy to remove since you have to practically take the dash appart.
As far as the heater hoses, if you are going to keep the oil cooler then you'll have to re-route the hoses to feed the cooler. If not then be sure to allow some way for the water pump to have some flow when the thermostat is closed. Some people put a small hose between the head and the pump(non-stock pump).
After removing the AC compressor you'll have to use a shorter belt too.
That's just what comes to mind for now. As always on any project, it's hard to cover everything.
Later,
-Ozzy
Ozzy88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote