Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-09-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

87 GTA Hard Start

I have an 87 GTA that is fairly stock. I have an intermidiate hard-start problem. It does not occur all the time. When the engine is hot or it is hot outside mostly. Never occurs when the temperature is cold or the car is cold. Have replaced fuel-pump, fuel-pump relay, cold-start valve, spark-plugs, wires, used factory and after-market computer chip and still have the problem. At first thought that it was not getting enough fuel but now I am leaning to the idea of too much fuel. I can sometimes smell strong fuel vapors after the hard-start. I have headers with emissions removed and mass air-flow screens removed but did the modifications around the same time so I have no idea if one or the other may have contributed to the problem. The problem is more of an annoyance than anything...anyone with similar problem or suggestions for pin-pointing the problem? My father is a mechanic wuth 20+ years experience and is running out of things for me to replace on the car!---Need help. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: 87 GTA Hard Start

Though I do not know much about your question. I just wanted to say to you, that I too have this problem with my Daily Driver, and it is a Mercury Cougar 93. I was told that when the engine is warm, the fuel is in a vapor lock in the intake system (on the GTA it would be the TPI ).

My Cougar has a 3.8 with a Fuel Injection system, that appears to be a similar concept the the TPI setup of the Chev. world...
Old 05-10-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

I can just laugh at myself.. Yeah right like the Fuel in in a vapor lock in the TPI intake... I think what I was trying to say.. is the Air that is in the intake located above the engine.. gets so hot after sitting for just a few.. that the hot air is causing it to start hard...
Old 05-11-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

Hard Hot Starts

This sounds a little like a problem I had two weeks ago with my 89 GTA. I drove across the city parked the car and tried to start it 20 minutes later. Cranked and cranked the starter to no avail. Tried three hours later with no success. Engine smelled a little like gasoline from flooding. Tried a day later with the engine stone cold and it turned over.

Took the car to my mechanic who installed an ignition module and pick up for $166.50 Can and 1.5 hours labour and the problem was fixed. The part, he advised, was temperature sensitive and is a common problem on these types of engines. Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 05-11-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

87 GTA Hard Hot Starts

Hey, I own a 87 GTA with the 305TPI, car has 129K on it. The car starts fine when cold, but when hot it has a really hard time, sit there cranking and cranking. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 05-11-2000   #6
REMOVED USER

hard start?? no start......

I recently bought a 87 gta with about 119k. the car will not run off its own fuel supply. I can get it to run spraying starter fluid into the intake, but it doesnt appear to be getting any fuel. So far I have drained the tank, removed all of the obstructions to lower the gas tank, any thoughts other than fuel pump or fuel filter failure??? some fuse or vale switch that I am unaware of???? Wishful thinking , any help would be great.. post it or email me at boles944@hotmail.com. thanks DB
Old 05-14-2000   #7
REMOVED USER

Re: hard start?? no start......

Well DB,
it sounds like fuel problems to me.If it will start on starting fluid its probably the fuel pump.Sometimes if you hit the gas tank with a rubber mallet the pump will work.Can you hear the pump kick on when you turn the key on the on position but not trying to start the car? If you cannot hear the pump its more than likley the pump.Have you replced the pump??If you have and still don't hear the pump,you probably have an electrical problem.First thing I would do is turn the key to on position and see if the pump turns on.Don't worry you will hear it come on!Hope this helps.I need some help to,so check me out on 88 GTA true or not.on the title page.Thanks!

Shiloh
Old 10-17-2009   #8
cody1989GTA
89' 350 TPI mustang killer

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

sounds like u need a new father!haha
cody1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote