Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-01-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

A question for my t/a brothers

Ok heres my problem, what do u think (88 gta 350). In the morning my car starts right up. After getting gas or running in the store for a quick sec, the car starts up. But if i let it sit for like more than half and hour and i go to crank it, it cranks and cranks for like 4 or 5 seconds until it finally starts. When it starts, it idles very low at first and then gets up to normal idling speed. Here are some suggestions made to me: fuel pump (new), fuel filter (new), tune up (complete tune up done), fuel injector cleaner (used), alternator (less than a yr old), battery (new). A mechanic at work told me i should clean my idle air control valve, and getting my injectors cleaned was also recommended. How much would it cost for both of those and what do u guys think? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

O-rings

I kinda had the same problem with my '85 305 TPI and I was told the o-rings on the injectors needed replaced.

Hope this helps :-)
Old 12-15-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

don't u guys have any suggestions for me

I'm about to go to the pontiac dealer and have my fuel injectors cleaned for $120. Please any suggestions?
Old 12-15-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

Anyone?

I'm about to go to the pontiac dealer and have my fuel injectors cleaned for $120. Please any suggestions?
Old 12-16-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

Re: A question for my t/a brothers

You have leaking injectors. I had the same exact problem in my 88 GTA 5.7L. Replace all 8 of them with new ones. It's expensive to do, but it is the only way to fix the problem. You could do just the injectors that are leaking but you really should replace all of them because you cannot only take out one injector. If one injector comes out they all have to come out. Just to make sure, does your car idle funny after the hard start?? If so, that is definitely the problem.

Joe
Old 12-19-2000   #6
REMOVED USER

actually....

my car doesn't idle funny at first. Like i said before it idles very low and then it goes up to normal idle speed. But after idling for 5 minutes or so, the car does idle high and low. It has the rough idle really right when the engine warms up.
Old 12-23-2000   #7
REMOVED USER

Re: actually....

hi. If your car idles low in cold weather and stalls it could be a coolant temp sensor. That happened to my 88 gta. Also my gta still idles low for a second before it gets up to normal speed when started in cold weather. I think you can test ignition modules and coils. I would try that in case there is a problem with spark. hope I can help..
Crystal
Old 12-28-2000   #8
REMOVED USER

tuning

Mine did the same thing before I rebuilt the motor. Not trying to scare you, the car just had a lot of miles on it. Even after a tune-up, and injector cleaning, it still did the same thing. If you have tried these things already, usually a difficult start COULD be an indicator of low compression or a stretched timing chain. These are extremes however, but I did have the same problem and one thing that did help it before rebuilding was that I replaced the ignition with a Crane HI-6S CD ignition kit, 8mm wires and new plugs and rotor. This did seem to help it out.

Chris