Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-31-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

A/C Retrofit kit-134A

I am about to convert my car to R134A.I bought a retrofit kit,which has 3 cans of 134A,a can of oil,adapter
fittings,and charging hose.I also bought a manifold gauge set,and a vacuum pump to do the job right.
The car('88 GTA)has a small leak where the lines go into the compressor,which I will fix first.
Has anyone done this to their car?Was it difficult?Does it work good?My local A/C shops have told me it
will cost hundreds of dollars to have them fix it with R12.I have spent $120 for all the stuff I listed.
Please let me know.
Rob
Old 09-01-2000   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: A/C Retrofit kit-134A

Rob, my black notchback has been switched over to R134, but I had the work done instead of doing it myself. My car had a bad condenser, and I swapped it over to the new freon when I had the repairs done. I'll be having my red GTA converted too next year, most likely....

It sounds like you have all the stuff to do it yourself, but seriously think about replacing the A/C dryer as well, along with the orifice tube filter. These two changes were also recommended to me when my car was retrofitted, and the parts don't cost a lot.

My car is doing great now; in fact, it cools at 26 degrees at the A/C vents.... which will basically run you out of the car! With the job done correctly, I think you'll be plenty happy with the results.....

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

I had the same retro done on my car this spring, leaking compessor. I posted my question in the tech forum and received several excellent responses. Last time I looked it was still available. I would however have a professional do the job. Any remaining R-12 in the system could cause either you or the environment some harm. My retro works well, perhaps not as well as the original, but good enough to handle 90 plus days with cooling to spare. Good Luck.
Old 09-03-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

Thanks for the advice.I borrowed some books from the library
to refresh my memory a bit,as I studied HVAC in my auto mechanics class in high school.

Rob
Old 09-12-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

After much research,I sucessfully converted my car to R134-A
I appreciate the advice I got here,except for the people that told me to have a pro do the job(do you people own A/C
shops?).I did the job in under 3 hours by myself.I replaced
all the o-rings,accumulator,orifice tube,etc.It blows cold air,and nothing blew up.
If anyone else is interested in doing this for their car
but are nervous,get books from the library or buy one.
Half the fun of having one of these cars is fixing and maintaining them ourselves,right?

Rob