Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 02-01-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

A FELLOW GTA BROTHER IN NEED

I PURCHASED MY 1988 GTA 6 MTHS AGO AND HAVE BEEN SLOWLY MAKING REPAIRS, (WHEN THE MONEY IS THERE). I NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU GUYS, THE CAR HAS BEEN IDLING ROUGH, AND SEEMS TO HAVE A HEAVY PEDAL, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN, (SLOW TO RESPOND), WHEN THE ENGINES COOL IT SEEMS TO RUN BETTER, AFTER WARM-UP IT SEEMS SLUGGISH. HERE ARE SOME ITEMS ALREADY DONE:

1. NEW MAF UNIT
2. NEW WATER PUMP
3. NEW FAN AND MAF RELAY
4. FLUSH AND CLEANED RADIATOR AND BLOCK
5. INSTALLED 180 DEGREE THERMO
6. NEW CAT. CONVERTOR AND MUFFLER

MY QUESTION IS WHAT WOULD CAUSE IT TO RUN SLUGGISH, ALSO AFTER THE INSTALLATION OF THE 180 THERMOSTAT AND PURGE OF SYSTEM, AT IDLE IT STILL RISES ABOVE 220 DEGREE MARK. SECOND, AND I KNOW I HAVE POSTED THIS QUESTION BEFORE, BUT FOR SOME REASON AFTER THE CAR REACH A CERTAIN TEMP. AND I SHUT IT DOWN I HEAR A HIGH PITCH WHINING NEAR THE FUEL TANK THAT GOES AWAY WHEN CAP IS OPEN AND PRESSURE IS RELEASED. I HAVE HAD THE FUEL PRESSURE CHECKED AND IT IS 37 PSI AT IDLE. PLEASE ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED.

THANKS ROBERT
Old 02-01-2001   #2
REMOVED USER

idle

I wouldn't worry about the high pitch noise from the tank. Your fuel pressure is good. What about a tune-up?? It is possible that your injectors need cleaned or even replaced. Your new thermostat won't do anything for keeping the temp down because your stock fan switch turns on the fan at about 220 degrees. If you are going to run that thermostat and want to keep down the temp, you either need to replace the fan switch with a lower temp one or even better, put in an aftermarket computer chip. For example, the Hypertech Thermomaster chip has different parameters in it for turning on the fan at about 160 degrees. I would go this way because it is a lot easier than replacing the switch in the engine itself plus the chip is good for about 20 horsepower.
Old 02-01-2001   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: idle

I agree with silverado73 on this one..... I have the ThermoMaster chip in the red GTA, and the temp is outstanding! It too used to hover around 220 degrees, but not anymore.

I am running the TM chip in conjunction with the fan switch, and highly recommend it for those with temperature woes.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001   #4
REMOVED USER

Re: Idle

I would have to agree with them. The fan will kick on when the factory chip is programmed to. Get an aftermarket chip. Also, the next time you change the thermostat, use one with the pre-drilled holes in the lip. I didn't think it would make any difference until I got one. It's still in the car and I went through thermostats like crazy the first few summers I owned the car. A tuneup does sound like it's in order. Change the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, etc. Use some good fuel injection cleaner or fuel system cleaner. I use one or the other at every oil change.
Old 04-08-2001   #5
REMOVED USER

Re: Idle

I have had a surge at idle that I just fixed. it turner out that I had 5 bad injector. all of them had bad resistance. a very quick check is to remove the connector and measure the ohms between the two pins they should be 15 ohms or very close to it. they should all be the same or you will have uneven fuel flow into the engine causing a surge that is most noticeable at idle