Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-20-2002   #1
underdave

91/92 gta questions

how rare is a '91 or '92 gta with 5.7L, auto, and t-tops? i've been looking at classifieds and autotrader.com for some, but they seem to be pretty rare. am i gonna have a hard time locating one?
underdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002   #2
OkadaKimC
B-Body Member

NO T-Tops were available for the GTA starting in 91. One sign of a fake or a chop job done on one. If Y84 (GTA Option) is on the SPI then it's a chop job.
OkadaKimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002   #3
mGiTkAe
GTA Member

you couldnt get a 5.7 with t tops but you could get a GTA with t tops had to go to a 5.0 lb9 option
mGiTkAe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002   #4
underdave

Angry

that's so stupid.
boy, GM sure does know what they're doing, huh: no t-tops with a 350, no more firebirds or camaros ever, what's next, a car with only three wheels?
Old 03-22-2002   #5
mGiTkAe
GTA Member

im not too sure but it think you could get a formula with t-tops and a 350 in 91/92 correct me here guys.....
i had one of those 3 wheel thingys when i was 4 lol had to pedal fast to run 1 hour and 10 minutes in the quarter mile lol
mGiTkAe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002   #6
underdave

the sad thing is that a 3 wheeled car would probably look better than the freakin aztek and vibe that are out now. i'm embarassed to have those things names "Pontiacs."
Old 03-22-2002   #7
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
You'll have a very hard time finding a 5.7L/T-top 1991 or 1992 GTA.... because only a handful of '91s were built and no '92s. For whatever reason, some early 1991 GTAs did slip through with the 5.7L and the T-tops. I have never seen one in person, but I have seen several RPO verifications. The two options are specified on the order sheets as not available together for both '91 and '92 though.

T-tops in GTAs in '91 and '92 were officially offered only on cars with the LB9 engine.

The Formula model was available wth the 5.7L and the T-tops in 1992.... but only on cars built using the PW7 diamond-spoke rims. Go figure....

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002   #8
patrickm

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankieRider2
You'll have a very hard time finding a 5.7L/T-top 1991 or 1992 GTA.... because only a handful of '91s were built and no '92s. For whatever reason, some early 1991 GTAs did slip through with the 5.7L and the T-tops. I have never seen one in person, but I have seen several RPO verifications. The two options are specified on the order sheets as not available together for both '91 and '92 though.

T-tops in GTAs in '91 and '92 were officially offered only on cars with the LB9 engine.

yeah, basically if you could find a dealer who was willing to special order and pay him some extra cash, it could be done. for the right amount of money, almost any of those "N/A"s can be overturned.

Quote:
The Formula model was available wth the 5.7L and the T-tops in 1992.... but only on cars built using the PW7 diamond-spoke rims. Go figure....
i think that had something to do with the suspension and body flex. i just realized the full extent of body reinforcement on the 92's when i swapped the gfx on my convertible TA back to the 85-90 type, and there certainly are some differences from the 87 TA and 88 GTA i'd had. (though you'd think this would ALLOW them to mix a weak roof and a 5.7 like they used to instead of disallow it...). but the point is they got more serious about issues like vibration and structural integrity during the last 2 years of production.
patrickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002   #9
gtayumiko
GTA Member

I looking every week in many used car papers and I have never seen a GTA, period, for sale in any of these papers. Last time I see GTA for sail was in 1998, if it was really GTA. So a 91 or '92 gta with 5.7L, auto, could be rare but.....you may be asking to find alot because to find any GTA at all for sale is not easy anymore like a few years ago. Sure, I see many for sale on this site, but, I never see any for sale in my area. And I also do not see too many on the road either.

I was at my favorite junk yard this weekend to brows around and check to see if anything new coming into GM junkyard. I saw two 2002 Firebirds in there that burn up. Other than that, no parts at all for GTA. It has become "slim pickings" and I am hoping that I do not need anything for my GTA. Yumiko
Old 01-03-2003   #10
Sauron91GTA
GTA Member

Location: Garland Garland Garland Garland Garland Garland Garland

I have a 91 GTA with L98\T-Tops..It's a CC (or is it ASC?) conversion though...
(Hey, at least it's a professional conversion! =P)
Sauron91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003   #11
92GTA

It was C&C that did the T-Top conversions, ASC did the 'verts.