Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA ONLINE FOR SALE ADS

GTA ONLINE FOR SALE ADS Use this forum to "discuss" GTAs that are advertised for sale online at various used car sites.... eBay, AutoTrader, etc.

Old 05-22-2018   #1
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Here's an 87' but somethings different

I ran across this one on my weekly online GTA search. Looks really nice but wondering what type of mirrors these are. Anyone know what type of mirrors these are and if they are supposed to be on this car? I've never seen mirrors on a GTA like that before. The ad says paddle mirrors. Is this correct?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Tra...QAAOSwGkVa-hS~
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018   #2
DynoDave

Re: Here's an 87' but somethings different

Yes, they call those paddle mirrors. They were developed for export, as many european markets required a mirror that would break away if it hit a pedestrian.

They were an option here...had their own RPO...but not all years. Couldn't really tell you more.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018   #3
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

The rarest option I see that it has is the 15" wheels. -lol
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018   #4
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
Yes, they call those paddle mirrors. They were developed for export, as many european markets required a mirror that would break away if it hit a pedestrian.

They were an option here...had their own RPO...but not all years. Couldn't really tell you more.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I learn something new about these cars every day. So since it apparently was for the European market, how many of these were exported to Europe?

Also would that mean this one was supposed to be exported to Europe, or was in fact exported but then shipped back to the U.S.?

Last edited by JonBlake; 05-23-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2018   #5
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
The rarest option I see that it has is the 15" wheels. -lol
LOL The rims look bigger then 15" to me, but I also noticed that mentioned in the description as well. The person doing the write-up probably doesn't know any better. Pretty sure those are the 16" stock rims though.
Old 05-23-2018   #6
GTABill

Hmmmm.............I will have to go and check that out this weekend. I will be at Fast Lane helping judge the Memorial Day show and I'm sure they'll have it out for showing.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018   #7
DynoDave

The paddle mirrors had their own RPO, and could be ordered here in the States for a time. But they are fairly uncommon. I don't think they were available all that long.

But while developed for export, they were available domestically.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018   #8
GTABill

Well they did have it out.......not worth the asking price. Very nice but for that price the paint better be perfect and its not. Lower front ground effects have some small gouges and motor is dirty awith the intake showing some pitting. Nice but should be asking $10 k less IMO.

Old 05-29-2018   #9
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABill View Post
Well they did have it out.......not worth the asking price. Very nice but for that price the paint better be perfect and its not. Lower front ground effects have some small gouges and motor is dirty awith the intake showing some pitting. Nice but should be asking $10 k less IMO.
Wow, you able to see it first hand. Thanks for the report. Just curious, what's the pitting that you mention with the intake? On what part of the intake? And is that a common issue with these?
Old 05-30-2018   #10
GTABill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlake View Post
Wow, you able to see it first hand. Thanks for the report. Just curious, what's the pitting that you mention with the intake? On what part of the intake? And is that a common issue with these?
Pitting may not be the right word, but the center part of the TPI has got spots on it that are darker in color simulating a pitted look. Although the center part of the TPI is a coarse raw aluminum, it should still be the same hue in color as the runners. I know mine is. Now really all that needs is probably a good scrubbing with an all purpose cleaner, but if they are thinking about getting anything close to that price, I would think they would sweat all the small details to present the best example they could. Honestly, had I taken mine out to the show and parked it next to that one, I would have won the better engine bay lol.

Old 06-20-2018   #11
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABill View Post
Pitting may not be the right word, but the center part of the TPI has got spots on it that are darker in color simulating a pitted look. Although the center part of the TPI is a coarse raw aluminum, it should still be the same hue in color as the runners. I know mine is. Now really all that needs is probably a good scrubbing with an all purpose cleaner, but if they are thinking about getting anything close to that price, I would think they would sweat all the small details to present the best example they could. Honestly, had I taken mine out to the show and parked it next to that one, I would have won the better engine bay lol.
I see. Thanks for the clarification.