Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > NON-GTA SPECIFIC > GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA)

GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA) Use this forum to discuss topics of a more general nature.... it can be auto-related on not. Your choice. But above all, please be adult and responsible in your postings.

Old 07-11-2009   #1
Brett89GTA
F-Body Member

Personal GTA anniversary next month

It's hard to believe, but next month marks 15 years that I've had my GTA.

I didn't start out looking for a GTA; I just wanted to replace the '82 Citation I had suffered with through college. I already had a '79 T/A (celebrated 20 years with that one last November). I was looking for an El Camino to haul parts, but I couldn't find a clean one. I looked at a few Monte Carlo SSes, but they also had issues. I was cruising a local car lot one night after work, and happened to find a gunmetal '89 GTA with the 5.7L/700R4 and 52,000 miles. I had always liked GTAs. A friend of mine worked at a dealership while we were in college, and I remember drooling over one they had on the lot. As a poor student I had to let that one go. This gunmetal GTA was nice, very tempting, and within financial reach.

I decided to test drive the GTA. The salesman let me take it out by myself; I'm not sure if he was foolishly trusting or very shrewd. I took it out on a back road about a 1/2 mile from the dealership and stood on the accelerator. The car catapulted forward, smoke pouring from the rear tires and skating slightly sideways. I was hooked, and put down a deposit that night.

About a week later I took the car to the local dragstrip for test & tune night. The car was bone stock at the time, and I'd read the period magazine road tests; I was expecting a low 15 second ET at best. Was I ever surprised when it ran a 14.59 on the very first pass. I eventually whittled that down into the very low 14s with only minor changes. The car was raced pretty much every week for the first three years that I had it, and easily dealt with the average Mustang.

The car was retired as my daily driver about 7 years ago. I still drive it to work occasionally. It's been a lot of fun, but over the last couple of years I've considered selling it. This usually happens over the winter when I don't drive it, and then I'm hooked all over again in the spring after the first drive on a nice day. Two Firebirds really don't make sense for me anymore, as I now have two small children. I've thought about selling the GTA and picking up a '60s/'70s Olds or Pontiac full-size convertible, something that I can take the whole family out in. The sensible thing to do would be to use the money to finish the '79 T/A that's scattered in the garage, patiently waiting for me to have the resources (time & money...mostly time) to piece it back together again.

My five year old son would be royally POed if I sell the GTA. He loves both Firebirds, but hardly ever rides in the GTA since car seats don't fit so well in it.

No decisions concerning its future for now...I drove it to the POCI/GTOAA joint convention today, and enjoyed the trip.
Brett89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #2
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Personal GTA anniversary next month

Speaking of that, back at the end of June, it was my 15th year with my GTA. I do not plan on selling it at all. I do plan on one day getting either a TTA or a 99-01 LS1, Firehawk or TA eithier one will be ok. I just love driving it tooooo much to even consider selling it. They will probably have to take it out of my cold dead hands. I cant think of another car I have ever enjoyed driving more than this one.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #3
Mongoose
Future GTA Owner

Hang on to it, once the boy gets old enough/big enough to go without the car seat you'll be glad you did. My daughter is 15 now and still loves to go cruising with Dad whenever possible. I'd thought about selling the car some years ago and she cried when she found out. I'm glad I didn't.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #4
Brett89GTA
F-Body Member

Right now part of the problem is resources. Between saving for college for two kids, saving for retirement, home projects, etc. it seems like it's going to be tough to have time and money for two toys.

Last edited by Brett89GTA; 07-13-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Misc revision
Old 07-14-2009   #5
FearThisGTA

Then just drive it and enjoy it until you can mod it, or restore it.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-17-2009   #6
Brett89GTA
F-Body Member

I guess a decision has been reached. Or should I say, a decision was reached for me. My wife & 5 year old son have informed me that they want the car to stay. I didn't bother voting, as I was clearly outnumbered. My 8 month old daughter is too young to vote. I wasn't unhappy with the outcome, anyway.

I happen to live in the Dayton, OH area. I've been going to the TransAm Nationals for 20 years, ever since I bought my '79 T/A. In all that time, I've never entered the show. I've been in the Tipp City cruise-in a couple of times, and entered the drag race for several years too. I even took the runner-up spot at the drags one year. But...never the show. I think that might change this year.

I spent a good chunk of my weekend cleaning the car. I'm planning to spend most of the next two weeks getting it ready. I won't win anything, but that's OK. I'm just looking to have some fun. The only thing that will keep me away is rain. I'm not spending two weeks cleaning the car to have it ruined by rain.
Old 08-18-2009   #7
FearThisGTA

Congrats, glad you are gonna keep'er.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-18-2009   #8
unholy 89

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 305 TPI 5-Speed Manual

good choice!

Bryan