Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-18-2014   #1
Bobbyd38

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic
Swap Orig 5.0 for 5.7 - impact on Value?

I just purchased a mostly stock 1988 5.0L GTA Convertible with 10,800 original miles. I'm considering pulling (but keeping & preserving) the original 5.0L and installing a warmed up 5.7L for the extra performance. Given the low milage and rarity of being a convertible, I'm looking for opinions on what this may do to the "future", and I stress future because I plan to keep it a while, value of the car?

Thanks,
Bob
Bobbyd38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #2
86TA355SR

Re: Swap Orig 5.0 for 5.7 - impact on Value?

None of us can predict the future collector's car market.

Plenty of high mile coupes are available to put a beast motor in. Given the low miles and your car being a convertible, I'd leave it alone if it were mine. But it's not, so your choice.

Congrats on the car, let's see some pictures. Trans Am Nationals is this weekend, just a reminder.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014   #3
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

I would keep it original. low miles vert... nuf said
Old 08-19-2014   #4
Bobbyd38

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic

Yeah, you guys are right, thanks for the advice.

Bob
Bobbyd38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014   #5
TTOP350

You could put in a 5.7 and no-one would ever know, if done properly.
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014   #6
TA PARTS PLACE

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 3.8L V6 Turbo

That would be a mistake to change engine...there's a 350 convert for sale by me...

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/ch...s-am-S503.html
Old 08-24-2014   #7
TTOP350

That vert at GWCCs also has a SLP cold air kit on it.
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015   #8
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOP350 View Post
You could put in a 5.7 and no-one would ever know, if done properly.
Except the RPO sticker would show that a 5.0 engine was the original one that the car was assembled with and the sticker in the engine compartment that give details about timing and engine size would say 5.0 and the car vin number has an F for the engine digit.

Would the larger engine cause the body to flex since it is a convertable?

Yumiko
Old 02-06-2015   #9
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
Except the RPO sticker would show that a 5.0 engine was the original one that the car was assembled with and the sticker in the engine compartment that give details about timing and engine size would say 5.0 and the car vin number has an F for the engine digit.

Would the larger engine cause the body to flex since it is a convertible?

Yumiko
responding to a 5 month old post...lol back from the dead it is now
Old 02-06-2015   #10
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
responding to a 5 month old post...lol back from the dead it is now
Please do not say dead, that is bad luck I think. Well, this thread may be 5 month old, but it is on the most recently listed of things to read here.

Yumiko
Old 02-06-2015   #11
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Please do not say dead, that is bad luck I think. Well, this thread may be 5 month old, but it is on the most recently listed of things to read here.

Yumiko
LOL ok Yumiko. I wont say that word. welcome back!
Old 02-06-2015   #12
YumikoGTA

Quote:
LOL ok Yumiko. I wont say that word. welcome back!
We are having a rain storm right now so I am not doing my usual things outside today. So instead I have time to visit on this forum today. I have so many hobby outside but cannot be outside today. It is forecasted to rain for the entire weekend, so I will have a lot of time to do things indoors.

Yumiko
Old 02-06-2015   #13
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
We are having a rain storm right now so I am not doing my usual things outside today. So instead I have time to visit on this forum today. I have so many hobby outside but cannot be outside today. It is forecasted to rain for the entire weekend, so I will have a lot of time to do things indoors.

Yumiko
well enjoy it. Kinda nice to be on at the same time.. normally not due to time difference. cold here.. 27F right now. started my baby up yesterday at lunch.. it was so cold but so nice it started up very very quick. turned right over! it was 10F yesterday
Old 02-06-2015   #14
YumikoGTA

Quote:
well enjoy it. Kinda nice to be on at the same time.. normally not due to time difference. cold here.. 27F right now. started my baby up yesterday at lunch.. it was so cold but so nice it started up very very quick. turned right over! it was 10F yesterday
I can not even imagine how cold that is. I have been in cold weather before, but I do not think it was like what you mention. Where I grew up and where my parents still live, it only snows around once or twice every few years, because we live not too far from the ocean. Since South Korea is not so far from there, I have visited that country before and it is much more colder there than where I live with my parents.

I start my GTA still every once per month and even in the winter times when it is the coldest here in California, it starts very nice and I let it run for about twenty minutes each time with the heat on. It is very comfortable to sit in there with my eyes closed and the heater. Very cozy. Of course garage door and side door is open so exhaust can escape. But that GTA really runs so nice, even when it is not out too much. Love to close my eyes and think about all of the places I have gone to in it and all of my friends that I had in it. Many good memories for sure. But only when I am sitting in it while running it. When I am not in it, I do not think too much about it.

Yumiko
Old 02-06-2015   #15
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
I can not even imagine how cold that is. I have been in cold weather before, but I do not think it was like what you mention. Where I grew up and where my parents still live, it only snows around once or twice every few years, because we live not too far from the ocean. Since South Korea is not so far from there, I have visited that country before and it is much more colder there than where I live with my parents.

I start my GTA still every once per month and even in the winter times when it is the coldest here in California, it starts very nice and I let it run for about twenty minutes each time with the heat on. It is very comfortable to sit in there with my eyes closed and the heater. Very cozy. Of course garage door and side door is open so exhaust can escape. But that GTA really runs so nice, even when it is not out too much. Love to close my eyes and think about all of the places I have gone to in it and all of my friends that I had in it. Many good memories for sure. But only when I am sitting in it while running it. When I am not in it, I do not think too much about it.

Yumiko
yeah I stayed warm in it yesterday. it was nice and turned on the radio. doesn't match my Bose in my everyday car but nice none the less. I roll it back a bit to move the tire location and stick the rear out the garage door (open as well...) and just listen to the exhaust. so nice. I also think about taking my son and daughter in it.. picked my daughter up from High school one day (college now) and she was embarrassed that I was going to pick her up but when she heard all the questions from her classmates about it and how cool it was and if they could ever get a ride (most were guys) and my daughter is half Chinese so very pretty she started to like it a lot more I take it home during the summer. and enjoy it a few times with my son and daughter. its always special.
Old 02-06-2015   #16
YumikoGTA

Quote:
yeah I stayed warm in it yesterday. it was nice and turned on the radio. doesn't match my Bose in my everyday car but nice none the less. I roll it back a bit to move the tire location and stick the rear out the garage door (open as well...) and just listen to the exhaust. so nice. I also think about taking my son and daughter in it.. picked my daughter up from High school one day (college now) and she was embarrassed that I was going to pick her up but when she heard all the questions from her classmates about it and how cool it was and if they could ever get a ride (most were guys) and my daughter is half Chinese so very pretty she started to like it a lot more I take it home during the summer. and enjoy it a few times with my son and daughter. its always special.
That is a nice story and it makes me remember when I bought my GTA, some people were telling me that it was like the car on tv. I did not know what tv show that was but they mentioned Night Rider as the title. I never watch tv that much so I did not know what that one was. But funny that recently I saw some old show on tv and it was that show. I do not think my GTA look like Night Rider car. They must mean the brand of it because that is the only real noticable thing that they have in common. But can you believe, Trans Am has not been made already for thirteen years now. I remember very well when I went to the Pontiac dealership in my area to look at that brand new yellow 2002 Trans Am. I would have bought one except they did not have it with a hard top. I do not like convertable and I do not like t-top. The guy say maybe they would have one but I do not think they even made it.

Also your story about your daughter is interesting to me too. It makes me remember a very long time ago I had a friend who had a two small kids, she was a few years older than I was, when I was in college. So I was out of classes for the day and she was getting a job interview and wanted me to watch her children. So when her son who was around seven years old at that time saw my car, he would say that"Yumiko has a race car" to all of his friends. He used to call it my race car. This is the same boy who I learned that every time I bring him in my car, when he sit in the front passenger seat, I would have to remove the fuse for the electric front seat articulation system before I pick him up, because he would just press the bottons continuously because he thought it was really exciting to pump up the air in the seat and then let it out. He would constantly do that so, I remove the fuse. I did not want to be mean to him but I did not want the seat articulation to stop working.

OK, back to this primary topic So if you change the motor with larger motor on convertable GTA, would this cause any problems with the flexing of the body from the extra torque from the larger motor?

I would not change the motor because my idea is to keep everything all original as possible.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 02-06-2015 at 05:14 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015   #17
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

i think it would impact value as most things away from stock do...
nice story too by the way yeah i wouldnt want to break those actuators
Old 02-08-2015   #18
Kevs87ta

GTA Year: 1990
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I just quickly scanned through this post, but I will throw in my 2 cents here. My car is 1 of 105 that came to Canada. I also wrestled with the idea of keeping it original. I did keep my block and had it rebuilt into a ZZ4 engine. I argued the point of keeping it original. Then I was asked, are you planning on selling it? My answer was absolutely not. So then the question was. Then what are you worried about? You can take a car and make it better and not hurt the value of it. If you are worried about it, then keep the original engine in storage. The sky is the limit. My friend has a 1992 GTA convertible, he removed the 305 and put in an LS1 with a T56. As most of you know, that is a very limited production car. The car is still a beautiful car and he loves driving it. So, it really comes down to what the owner of the car wants to have, an all original car or a car that he/she is excited to jump in and enjoy it. So many people that want an all original, low mileage car don't truly get to enjoy it,they worry about putting miles on it or afraid of it getting hurt. Cars are meant to be driven, no fun admiring it from a distance...but hey, to each their own.
1995 LT1 Camaro
Kevs87ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015   #19
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevs87ta View Post
I just quickly scanned through this post, but I will throw in my 2 cents here. My car is 1 of 105 that came to Canada. I also wrestled with the idea of keeping it original. I did keep my block and had it rebuilt into a ZZ4 engine. I argued the point of keeping it original. Then I was asked, are you planning on selling it? My answer was absolutely not. So then the question was. Then what are you worried about? You can take a car and make it better and not hurt the value of it. If you are worried about it, then keep the original engine in storage. The sky is the limit. My friend has a 1992 GTA convertible, he removed the 305 and put in an LS1 with a T56. As most of you know, that is a very limited production car. The car is still a beautiful car and he loves driving it. So, it really comes down to what the owner of the car wants to have, an all original car or a car that he/she is excited to jump in and enjoy it. So many people that want an all original, low mileage car don't truly get to enjoy it,they worry about putting miles on it or afraid of it getting hurt. Cars are meant to be driven, no fun admiring it from a distance...but hey, to each their own.
umm.. as a low mileage car owner I can truthfully say I enjoy every mile I put on it (3K so far) and I promise I enjoy them more that those who drive daily and they are more special to me and I remember them more clearly. When the car goes to a show it is an event with my kids and friends.

If he has a low mile vert and he mods it and racks up the miles that is his choice but I dont agree with it nor do I like it. if he will never sell it (and I mean we all have that intention - who really sells their car one day right?) but if he does he will regret modding it and racking up the miles I think. IMO only..

Last edited by 1badGTA; 02-09-2015 at 08:46 AM.
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015   #20
Kevs87ta

GTA Year: 1990
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Well, I am not saying that it is a bad thing keeping a car stock, and I am sure that everyone enjoys their cars to various degrees. I have been into these cars a very long time and involved with various clubs over the years. To some, it's just a car, to others its the best car...lol I myself like the stock look of the GTA's, they are very sleek looking. I love the way the TPI looks too. So when it came to rebuilding my engine, I retained the stock appearance, even though it now has aluminum heads and upgraded internals. The original heads are in my garage even though I have no use for them. I like the fact that I still have them, if needed. Now as for Bobbyd38, he wants to know if he should or not. By putting in a warmed up 350 TPI, no one but him will know the difference. It will look like a stock engine, only he will have that little bit more performance that he is looking for, whether he makes it into a trailer queen or drives the car like he stole it. As for resale value, I can't see it hurting it. As well, if he ever does want to sell it, he can always reinstall the original engine or offer to sell it with the car. It's entirely up to him, but when you ask a question, you will get conflicting answers. There is no clear cut answer to this question but there will always be pro's and cons...Bobbyd38 just have to weigh them all out...
Once again, this is just my 2 cents , not trying to offend anyone....
1995 LT1 Camaro
Kevs87ta is offline   Reply With Quote