Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > NON-GTA SPECIFIC > GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA)

GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA) Use this forum to discuss topics of a more general nature.... it can be auto-related on not. Your choice. But above all, please be adult and responsible in your postings.

Old 12-30-2011   #1
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

GTA Twenty Five Years Ago

Today I was thinking about the end of this year soon approaching. I began to realize that those of us who have 1987 GTAs, our GTAs will be twenty five years old now. Wow unbelievable. I remember it so clearly that many years ago. The technology is what was in my mind a lot when I thought about my GTA in 1987 compare to now. For some of you that were not old enough at that time, the GTA was a very sophisticated vehicle twenty five years ago. It had everything power like windows, locks, air adjustments in the front seats, and the pull down electric hatch mechanism. The automatic tilt rear view mirror was a pretty advanced mechanism. I had many friends who seen it move while in my car really was impressed with that and I had never seen something like that before. It was usually a manual tilt mirror that you had to move it by your hand. Another thing that was really interesting was that the warning alarm if you leave the lights on and turn off the engine and open the door. It seems very standard today, but twenty five years ago, not too many other cars had that feature, and so it was not uncommon to see cars with their lights left on during the day by accident.

When I purchased my GTA, the dealership suggested an alarm system for my GTA. They told me that they would have an installation of the alarm done because only they could do it, or my GTA warrantee would be voided if the alarm was installed by some other place. So they had a Quantum car alarm installed in my GTA. To have a remote push button thing on my keychain that unlocked and turned on the interior lights, have an impact sensor, blinked the exterior lights and chirped when locking the car by remote, this technology was so advanced twenty five years ago. Hardly anyone had such a remote alarm system in their cars at that time. The function that I really liked was the panic feature. If I wanted to, I could push in the lock/unlock button on the remote for three seconds and this would trip the alarm. This feature was in case someone was around my car and I wanted them to get away from my car and me. This specific alarm had a ten key keypad, the dealership had the installer mount that keypad directly under the emergency brake handle. With the keypad I could set the parameters of the alarm. I also could set it to a special valet mode, I could also create access codes for additional users so in the event that someone else was going to drive my GTA, like a boyfriend or friend, I could give them an entry code of their own. My entry code was the master so I was the only one that could set the parameters of the alarm. When I would press the alarm button to lock or unlock my GTA from a distance away from my car, it would chirp and flash the exterior lights. People who saw it do this would really be amazed at this technology. In todays world, it is just an average thing, but twenty five years ago it was very impressive.

I also remember twenty five years ago how most of the cars usually had only a drivers side exterior door mirror. To have both door mirrors was a special option in most cars at that time, but was standard for the GTA. The GTA also had the fog lights that were basically built into the body style of the front of the car. I remember many cars twenty five years ago, if they wanted fog lights, they would have to purchase them and then install them under the front of the car somewhere on most of the other models. The GTA fog lights were built in and they looked really nice that way.

Another interesting thing was the stereo that came in my GTA. It had an equalizer built into it. I remember the cars twenty five years ago, most times if you wanted to have an equalizer, you would have to go purchase the component from manufactures such as Alpine and Kenwood. The GTA stereo in my GTA had an equalizer already built into it, which I thought was very exciting.

So when your with your GTA, it may be an average type of car now, but remember, this GTA was new twenty five years ago and at that time, it was a very advanced vehicle at that time when it was brand new.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 12-30-2011 at 12:46 AM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #2
red88tagta

Re: GTA Twenty Five Years Ago

You are making me feel old here.
When in high school 1970, I bought a 1966 Chevelle SS 396/4 speed muncie shifter, bucket seats, maroon with vinyl top for $3500. Mershon's world of cars had one 5 years ago with a price tag of $40,000.00 And it wasn't perfect at all.
Just wish I had all the cars I used to own and the deminishing 3rd gens would start to show some real value.
red88tagta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #3
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

When I took my 87 GTA to a car show and had my reproduction window sticker in the car. A older man was looking at my car and said that my 87 GTA didn't cost that much in 87. My window sticker said 19,500. Nada is 8,500 high retail with a clean vehicle history report. Average retail is 6,075. MSRP is 14,104. The last time I checked the value of my GTA it was 4,450 and now it is worth 6,075.

Last edited by Steveh4263; 12-30-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Steveh4263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #4
YumikoGTA

Sorry to make you feel old. Wow, 1970? I do not remember even that far back, even though I was a little child at that time. And hopefully our old GTAs will sell for a lot some day. I wish that I would have saved the window sticker from my GTA, but at the time that I purchased it, I was just thinking that I would only have it for around five years and then get something else. I also never knew anything about this window sticker so it did not seem like something that I would have ever wanted to keep. Oh well. I even really did not know too much about what the GTA really was until I found this site in 2001. Before 2001, I would have just thought that there was nothing different about the GTA compare to the other Trans Ams, Firebirds, and Formulas. I only kept my GTA because after so many years, I became fond of it because of the history that I had with it in my life. The production numbers did not mean anything to me at all and still really does not that much now that I know what it all means.

From what I can recall, my GTA seemed to have been about $18,600but that does not include the taxes, title and license fees. My GTA came with many options too for that price. On the RPO sticker for my GTA, it has 88 different codes, not including the exterior paint color code.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 12-30-2011 at 10:26 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #5
rhomanski
The Born Loser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Yumiko, I can barely remember 1960. When my dad had a two tone green 58 Chevy. My first memory. Probably because my mother was carrying me and almost dropped me when opening the door. My first taste of fear. When I started to slip out of her arms, I thought it was more fun. When she caught me, I looked down and saw the ground. I realized that it would hurt. I guess I had already figured out gravity. Or maybe it was my mother's fear that made me feel it. I remember the Cuban missile crisis. My mom was so worried my dad would be called back by the military. I remember Kennedy's death. Mostly because I couldn't find any cartoons on television. My mom tried to explain to me what had happened. I didn't understand death. Strong emotions will make memory's stick with you.

Regards,

Ron.
Old 12-31-2011   #6
YumikoGTA

Funny but I remember my very first fear in my life. I was about two years old at that time. My parents had brought me to where it snows in Japan and we stayed at our relatives house over the night. The next day we were going to the car and there were the frozen ice hanging around the bottom of the my parents car. I was walking in the snow because it was fun and then when they opened up the door and wanted me to get inside, I was scared because the ice looked like teeth. I was afraid of the ice hanging under the door of the car because it looked like teeth of a monster. I was scared so they picked me up to put me in the car. I did not want to get close to the ice teeth of the car because I thought it would bite me.

Yumiko