Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-04-2003   #1
Aaron's 91

91 Fuel Tank Removal Help!

The fuel pump is dead and I'm trying to drop the tank. I've done a lot of searches and found some good ideas. I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has anything to add to make the job easier.

I read about cutting the floor above the tank, but I didn't want to cut. So, I put the rear up on jack stands and started pulling stuff apart. I dropped the two suspension bars under the tank, unhooked the exhaust, and removed the fuel tank straps. Unfortunately, my exhaust is welded together everywhere. Right now, the tank is blocked from dropping down any further by the muffler.

If I cut the muffler off, would I still have to drop the whole rear end? If so, can I get away with just disconnecting the shocks and sway bar for a few more inches of travel? Will the rip the torque arm bar mount out at the tranny?

Would it be okay to cut the fuel filler neck and drop the tank straight down. I'd then replace part of the filler neck with flexible hose. I think this would be easiest, but people have warned that I'll never get it to seal right again. Plus, I'm trying to figure out how to cut it with a couple gallons left inside.

Any help and ideas are appreciated.
Aaron's 91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003   #2
Red88GTA
GTA Member

Unhook the rear shocks, sway bar and the brake joint from the rear end and drop the rear end as low as it will go (raise car higher if needed. If your lucky, you can unbolt the exhaust from the CAT and swing it to the side. If it's welded, then cutting is the only option. It's still a pain in the butt to get the tank out after all of this. In fact, you end up bending the filler neck just a little to get it to come down and dropping the rear more doesn't help, you end up hitting a brace for the track arm on the passenger side.

Obviously by the end of this, you'll appreciate putting in the best fuel pump you can get.. You don't want to have to do this again..

Yumiko, if your reading, give him some tips.. I remember you helped me on mine...

Pat

1988 Bright Red GTA, digital dash, Grey Cloth, L98
Red88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003   #3
Tony89GTA
GTA Member

I just did this the other day lol. Listen to Red88GTA he has the right idea, and I also had to bend the filler neck to get it out
ATI Procharger D1SC, AFR 195 Eliminator heads, Mini Ram, ZZ9 cam, AS&M Mono-blade TB, 60Ibs injectors, Stainless Works LT 1 3/4 headers, Mufflex 4" catback with Magnaflow race muffler, McLeod Street twin clutch, Moser Ford 9" with 3.70, DIY Prom with Code59. Stock short block

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2480939
Tony89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003   #4
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Hey guys, if you had to bend the filler neck to get the tank out, how in the hell did the assembly line people manage to get the damn tank in without damaging or distorting any part of it? Just stumps the hell outta me. I hope I don't have to do this job anytime soon.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003   #5
jjdupree

I HAVE CHANGED 4 OF THESE MEN
YOU HAVE TO LOWER THE AXLE AND REMOVE THE REAR OVER THE AXLE PIPE,..,LET THE BRAKE JUNCTION LOOSE
.RAISE THE CAR MORE ALMOST 3-4 FEET FROM THE FLOOR
AT THE TRACK BAR MOUNT ON THE PASS SIDE
NOW IT IS EASY.,,.. ROTATE THE TANK HOPEFULKLY CLOSE TO EMPTY CLOCKWISE AND COUNTER CLOCOK WISE WHILE,.,YOULL GET THE FEEL OF IT LOWERING IT,.,.DONT FORCE OR BEND ANYTHING,..,YOU CANT RISK THE WELDS ON THE TANK-
FILLER NECK,..ONCE AGAIN THE KEY IS TO GET THE CAR IN THE AIR ENOUGH,..,THE AXLE IS NOT THE PROBLEM THE HEIGHT OF THE CAR IS
THE PUT THE TANK IN ON THE ASSEMBLY LINE AND THEN THE AXLE
THATS WHY YOU HAVE TO GET IT UP,..,LIKE THE DID THE WORKED FROM BELOW THESE CARS ,..,SO THERE YOU GO
BUT YES I AGREE WITH WHOEVER SAID THAT PUT A GOOD PUMP AND SENDING UNIT IF YOU DO THIS JOB BECAUSE THE GAUGE HAS A CRAPPY RESISTOR ON IT ,..,AND I TRIED TO WORK ON ONE OF THOSE TOO .,.,JUST REPLACE IT ALL IF YOU CAN YOU DONT WANT OT DO IT AGAIN,.,I WOULD DO IT NOW AGAIN BUT I CAN AVOID ALL THE HEADACHES NOW,..,GOOD LUCK ,,..,GET SOME GOOD STANDS ,.,HAHA
jjdupree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003   #6
Aaron's 91

So, I can lower the rear enough by disconnecting the shocks, sway bar, and brake junction? The torque arm and driveshaft can stay in?

Has anybody tried cutting the filler neck?
Aaron's 91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003   #7
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

I wouldn't recommend cutting the fuel filler neck. There's flamable gasoline in there and one spark can really ruin your day. Besides, if you do that, you may need a new tank.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003   #8
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Sounds to me that everyone is giving you some great information on how to do this. I guess the only thing I could add is, have a friend guide the filler tube out of the space where it usually is at the gas cap. There is sort of a lip around the filler tube which by the way, this tube will not come out unless your gas cap has been remove. Your friend can push up or pull down filler tube so it will clear plastic piece that surrounding filler tube. It makes it much easier when you have someone do that part for you while you are under car moving gas tank. Yumiko