Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-08-2004   #1
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Unhappy Another GTA driving season finished

Well it is that time again, my GTA is put away for the winter. The first real big rain came last night in my area. As I looked outside this morning, I see the writting on wall, another GTA driving season is finished. The only thing I can do with my GTA now until spring is light working on it and running engine maybe for twenty minutes every saturday afternoon. I am also planning to get the front rims refinished. I did like the way one of the rear rim turn out when they polish the outer lip of it. I know that the satin finish is the stock one but polishing looks very nice too. I am also planning to have entire air conditioning rebuilt, it does not work currently so it is always hot in the car when I do drive it in summer time.

For year 2004, I put about 6,000 mile on car, spent about $600 on petrol, and about $1,200.00 in parts - included is four new GoodYear ZR rated tires. Last time I spending under $2,000 for entire year on all GTA related expenses was 1992. Interesting too because I have about six hours of VHS home videos of driving in my GTA. Many of the street I driving in the videos have changed so much - that what happens when you live in big city, everything change a lot. But neat how my GTA did not change at all through the years. Until spring, it will be long winter without driving my GTA. Yumiko
Old 12-10-2004   #2
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Re: Another GTA driving season finished

I know the feeling. I put only 400 miles on mine at most this year. This is because I need to pay insurance on another car, my 2004 Civic. I commute to and from school now, and I sure as hell didn't want to put 120 miles per day on my GTA... besides, the fuel costs would have killed me. I'm doing some major work to it this winter and hopefully, I'll have it back to driving condition again sometime in Spring. Here's hoping...

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004   #3
GTA_JOE

Move to Florida. I drive mine everyday.
GTA_JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #4
Tony89GTA
GTA Member

Damn I had to put mine away a week before halloween
ATI Procharger D1SC, AFR 195 Eliminator heads, Mini Ram, ZZ9 cam, AS&M Mono-blade TB, 60Ibs injectors, Stainless Works LT 1 3/4 headers, Mufflex 4" catback with Magnaflow race muffler, McLeod Street twin clutch, Moser Ford 9" with 3.70, DIY Prom with Code59. Stock short block

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2480939
Tony89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #5
Ozzy88GTA
Old Timer

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic

Like GTA_JOE, I drive mine all year long too. Good thing of living in Florida (please don't mention the hurricanes).

Yumiko, are you still getting the rims done? I got a quote to get mine polished for US$400 (all 4). This is just to strip the aluminum and polish it, no recoating because it would have to be powder coated to stick to the highly polished surface. What are you doing to yours?

-Ozzy
Ozzy88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #6
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Hello Ozzy,

Well, I want to have front rims recoated/repainted so to match the rear ones. In November 1991, I sort of hit curb and badly damage one (left one) and then year later, the other one (right one) was slightly warp and difficult to balance. This all happen before I knew that you can fix these ones. So I just throw them away when I find another two front ones. The ones I find are very straight and no damages at all - not even hit by curb. Only problem is, they are very gold color, the original ones in back of my car are very light color gold. So I want to get the front ones refinish to match rear color. Also front ones had some brake fluid leak on them from previous owner and so they have some slight stains near center of rims - on inside of spokes.

A few month ago, I had one rear rim straighten out and they polish the aluminum portion of rim also. I got rear one back and it looks fabulous. It cost $50.00 to polish each one and then they quote $55.00 additionally each of them to recoat in gold color to match rear ones. So it will cost $210.00 for both front rims to have new coating in lighter gold to match rear ones and aluminum polished. If I had to do all of them, it would cost very close to the $400 you speaking obout in your quote. Yumiko
Old 12-14-2004   #7
Ozzy88GTA
Old Timer

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic

That sounds fair. When I get mine done I wont be recoating them. I figured if the new coating gets chipped or scratched by road gravel then I'll be right back to where we are now. This way I can rebuff them back. I know it might seem like a lot of work but I think it will be better without the coating. The gold section is going to stay as is, there are no blemishes or fading on the coating.

-Ozzy
Ozzy88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote