Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-29-2007   #61
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: hard start and intermittant miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by george88gta
Spent a few hours on the old girl today. I had a reman distributor laying around so I put the new AC Delco module in the distributor and installed. I also used a new Delco cap and rotor. While doing the install, I noticed that one of the EGR solenoid vacumn lines was split. Figured that was an underlying cause to my problems. Fixed that and reloacted the IAT sensor to the intake hose in front of the MAF. Started it up and adjusted the timing to 8 degrees advanced. Something new happened here. I recieved a damn good shock when I tried to turn the distributor. Never happened before. I must have damaged the wires when I was doing the test that has you remove the wires one at time, with the engine running. You use insulated pliers. I must have damaged the rubber boots. Anyway, I took it for a long ride, seems to run a bit better, but still starts hard. So now it is time for new wires and I have to decide on a MAF (new or used). Oh Yeah, and a big bottle of Maalox.
Glad yo gotter runnin better now, congrats.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #62
george88gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthisgta
I have Taylors on my Dodge and they seem to be holdin up pretty good after a havin them on there for a few years now.
I am leaning towards the Taylors. I had a set on my 1970 Nova and I liked the positive feel of the locks on the spark plugs. The MSD just feel too loose for me. I get that "snap" when I install them, which seems to be a bit difficult to accomplish,but they wiggle around a lot.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #63
nblanchard
GTA Member

Quote:
I am leaning towards the Taylors. I had a set on my 1970 Nova and I liked the positive feel of the locks on the spark plugs. The MSD just feel too loose for me. I get that "snap" when I install them, which seems to be a bit difficult to accomplish,but they wiggle around a lot.
I remember when my MAF relay went.. car ran like a bag!! Switch the two similar relays around on the drivers side firewall, see if it makes a difference.. if not.. then its your MAF.

Yeah.. that plenum siak makes sense.. and I suppose my car would end up doing it again eventually... Too bad I won't be with her when it happens.

225.5hp @ 4250rpm (at the wheels)
325.8ft-lbs @ 3250rpm (at the wheels)
nblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #64
merc3065

I tried a set of custom "make your own" wires from mallory.

Made for a nice clean install of the wires in the engine bay and the distributor.

The boots are easy to make, and they have that nice click too.
Old 08-02-2007   #65
george88gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblanchard
I remember when my MAF relay went.. car ran like a bag!! Switch the two similar relays around on the drivers side firewall, see if it makes a difference.. if not.. then its your MAF.

Yeah.. that plenum siak makes sense.. and I suppose my car would end up doing it again eventually... Too bad I won't be with her when it happens.
Swapped relays last night, no change. I have a used MAF on the way, hopefully it is good ( as advertised). Its from a Vette, so car will be faster! Actually all the mid 80's TPI cars use the same or interchangeable MAF's. Taylor wires are on back order so it will be a while before I can get things installed. More to follow.
Old 08-02-2007   #66
FearThisGTA

The Taylor set # is a 74_11 depending on the color you want. 0=blk,2=red, and 6=blue. What color are you lookin for. lmk, b/c I can probably find someone who has them in stk. hth

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-02-2007   #67
george88gta

Quote:
The Taylor set # is a 74_11 depending on the color you want. 0=blk,2=red, and 6=blue. What color are you lookin for. lmk, b/c I can probably find someone who has them in stk. hth
I use the universal set since I route them over the valve covers. Set I am looking for is Taylor 83255 ( red). I was planning on getting them from Summit or Jegs, but they both show out of stock until mid August.
Old 08-02-2007   #68
FearThisGTA

I just got off the phone with Taylor and they tell me they have plenty. Call this # 800-874-8655 and talk to Tony and tell "I" told you to talk to him and he can get them for you. hth

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-02-2007   #69
george88gta

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Taylor and they tell me they have plenty. Call this # 800-874-8655 and talk to Tony and tell "I" told you to talk to him and he can get them for you. hth
They are on their way. Thanks for the heads up on this Cliff. Should get here about the same time as the MAF sesnor and hopefully I can put this issue to rest.
Old 08-02-2007   #70
FearThisGTA

No problem.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-07-2007   #71
george88gta

Quote:
They are on their way. Thanks for the heads up on this Cliff. Should get here about the same time as the MAF sesnor and hopefully I can put this issue to rest.
Well, sad to say the MAF did not fix the problem. It seems to run a bit better,but still has a miss, from idle all the way thru the rpm range. The new plug wires showed up tonight, will try to get them in by the weekend. If the plug wires dont fix it, it is time for a compression test. The injectors seem to be firing, I can hold each one and feel it ticking. More to follow.
Old 08-07-2007   #72
Stephen

Did you try unhooking the battery, long enough to clear its memory, then allow it to relearn with the new MAF?

My mpg went WAY down for the first tank, after the IAT relocation. Now it back up, better than before.

5.7/700R4/3.27 M78--4th gen front seats/stock split rear seats--
17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #73
FearThisGTA

Did you say you replaced the ign coil yet? If not you may wanna try that as well IF the wires dont fix it. Also, as you are relacin the wires pull the plugs again and check to see if any of them are cleaner than the rest. If so then thats where you need to start.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-08-2007   #74
george88gta

Quote:
Did you say you replaced the ign coil yet? If not you may wanna try that as well IF the wires dont fix it. Also, as you are relacin the wires pull the plugs again and check to see if any of them are cleaner than the rest. If so then thats where you need to start.
Battery was disconnected for at least 20 minutes while I replaced the MAF. Coil is a new ACDelco. In an earlier post, I had mentioned that if I installed one of those spark testers in the coil to dist wire, the car would barely run. I installed it again yesterday, nice steady glow and no degredation. Guess the old MSD coil was weak. I will check each plug as I replace the wires.
Old 08-08-2007   #75
Jim85IROC
F-Body Member

Quote:
I did the exact same thing. It only takes once.
It depends on how crazy you are. I seem to wind up doing it on a regular basis.

When trying to diagnose a similar (and not yet resolved) problem with my Corvette, I pulled the plug wires off the distributer 1 by one, and of course it was lightly raining out, so everything was wet. I shocked the crap out of myself 16 times, and due to all the water, I even had arcs jump between the plug wire and the distributer body 2" away. After a while that electrical zap stops hurting. :lol:

A few months ago my fiance's 91 Jimmy had the ignition key lock in the "on" position so I had to go to her work and pull the coil wire off the distributer cap. A few people had this rather startled look on their faces when I pulled the wire and didn't even jump or make any sort of noise.

My Cardomain Site
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #76
bill martin

off the wall suggestion. but have you checked around the intake for a vacum leak? or another thought what about the distributor?
bill martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #77
george88gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill martin
off the wall suggestion. but have you checked around the intake for a vacum leak? or another thought what about the distributor?
I found 1 vacumn leak a few days ago, it was in the plastic hose for the EGR. Repaired. Distributor has been changed. Looks like rain for tomorrow so maybe I can steal a few hours to change the wires and check the plugs. Since the plugs have less than 200 miles on them, I dont expect to see much.
Old 08-11-2007   #78
george88gta

Well, I replaced the plug wires and examined the plugs. All of the plugs were clean, with the exception of the area where the injector shoots in the fuel. They were all a dark brown in that spot. Basically still running the same, poorly. It appears to be a bit better, but still not right. I think I will just drive it for a while to let all of the new parts and the ECM readjust. I have 18 - 19 inches of vacumn so I dont think there is a leak, but I will try spraying carb cleaner around the intake area to see if the idle changes. My fuel pressure is about 44 psi with the vacumn line disconnected. Any benefit to turning it up a bit? What should the minimum pressure be with the vacumn connected? Unfortunately, this is starting to look mechanical. When I get some time I will run a compression test and see what that looks like. More to follow, running out of summer so I will just cruise for a while and then get in to the mechanical side of this.
Old 08-11-2007   #79
FearThisGTA

Hmmmm, sounds like a plan. Ya know it could be a leaky inj. or have we already covered that?

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-11-2007   #80
george88gta

Quote:
Hmmmm, sounds like a plan. Ya know it could be a leaky inj. or have we already covered that?
I ran the injector leakdown test earlier. Results were good. I also used a pressure cleaner on the injectors, just as a maintenance item.