Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-18-2006   #1
ZZ4GTAMan

Spark Plug Gap Question, & Coil Question..........

Hey Bro's, What is the best plug gap to run on a AC Delco Rapid fire plug .350 0r .040. Also what is a good performance coil to buy? (accell, moroso, etc) I want one that plugs in to the stock coil plug, not one I need to relocate. Any noticeable difference with a higher output coil?
Thanks
Mike

Check Out My Pics
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31781797&f=
ZZ4GTAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #2
george88gta

Re: Spark Plug Gap Question, & Coil Question..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4GTAMan
Hey Bro's, What is the best plug gap to run on a AC Delco Rapid fire plug .350 0r .040. Also what is a good performance coil to buy? (accell, moroso, etc) I want one that plugs in to the stock coil plug, not one I need to relocate. Any noticeable difference with a higher output coil?
Thanks
Mike
This will probably start an arguement, but AC Delco tells you not to change the gap on their RapidFire plugs. It is written on the side of the box and I had an email from them telling me not to adjust the gap. If the plug gap is not what you want for your engine, then I would email them and ask for a recommendation as to which plug you should use. I run an MSD coil/cap and rotor. No noticeable difference in performance.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #3
ZZ4GTAMan

hey george88gta, thanks for the response. My motor calls for .350-.040 gap on the plugs. I was just wondering what YOU guys thought on where I should set the gap. Thanks!
Later
Mike

Check Out My Pics
Old 03-18-2006   #4
george88gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4GTAMan
hey george88gta, thanks for the response. My motor calls for .350-.040 gap on the plugs. I was just wondering what YOU guys thought on where I should set the gap. Thanks!
Later
Mike
I generally go with the recommended gap. I have a crate engine in my GTA and the engine specs call for .060" If you have a stock application and ignition system, then I would say go with the .035" if that is what the engine specs call for. One thing to keep in mind, it is not recommended to change the plug gap more than a few thousandths ( I think it is +/- .005") from the way they come out of the box. If you need to change more than that, choose a different plug. What can happen is that you misalign the electrode and ground strap. E.G. I use NGK plugs in my engine. The standard plug .035" gap is part number UR4, but the plug for an .060" gap is UR45.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #5
nblanchard
GTA Member

I also have the MSD GM Blaster coil.. all I had to do is drill out the rivets on the old coil so I can encorporate the original brackets to install the MSD coil. Can't say if it made any difference, cause I did a bunch of mods at once.... but I imagine it will support and power mods you do in the future.

225.5hp @ 4250rpm (at the wheels)
325.8ft-lbs @ 3250rpm (at the wheels)
nblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #6
ZZ4GTAMan

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to get another coil. I might just go with the MSD. Like you said Nathan, it will help me with future mods anyway. As fare as the gap goes, I will try the .035
Later
Mike

Check Out My Pics