Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-10-2017   #1
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Silicone Molded Radiator Hoses

Any member running upper and lower silicone molded radiator hoses, and if so where did you find them ?
Old 05-15-2017   #2
90 L98 TransAm

Re: Silicone Molded Radiator Hoses

Not silicone but here's a hose option if you don't mind blue:

"Fits 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 Chevy Camaro & Pontiac Firebird with 5.0L & 5.7L Engines

Made from a special EPDM rubber, Super Hi-Miler hose lasts 5 to 10 times longer than regular hoses. A Nomex reinforcing sleeve gives the hose a burst rating 10 times stronger than rayon-reinforced hose. Not only are they known for their strength and long life, they've got an electric blue color to set them apart."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-92-Cama...lXdsNp&vxp=mtr
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #3
GTABill

I know this is probably not the best thing, but I'm still actually running my originals. They are still in great shape, but I check them before every journey so I don't get myself stranded.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 12/16
Administrator-Missouri F-Body Association (Kansas City Area)
www.mofba.org
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017   #4
DynoDave

I'm in the same boat GTABill. Underhood, I have a newer Delco battery, a Delco reman alternator, and a replaced heater hose. Everything else is date coded originals. I hate to get rid of them...would like to replicate them, but not sure how to make the markings. But hoses, plug wires and plugs, cap and rotor, radiator, all date coded originals. Hate to mess with it, as it's only original once, but it does keep me from driving it any real distance, like to the T/A nationals.

In some ways, I wish the car had over 100k, and none of the original parts under the hood. I'd use it more! LOL
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017   #5
GTABill

Well, you got me beat on some of the originality. I still have my original wires. They are in a box with my original exhaust manifolds and Alternator and crank pulleys. Plugs were shot because of bad injectors so both of those replaced. Cap and rotor look original but aren't because I thought they were part of my running rough problem (see bad injectors lol). I actually took my alternator off and took it to a place to rebuild it because for whatever reason, I wanted to keep that original....not sure why. Heck, I am only on my second set of tires lol.

As far as wanting something with 100K miles and driving it more............I will take my chances LOL!!

If I drove mine to the Nationals, I'd probably sell it there and fly home. Its a 9 hour trailering experience from my casa.

www.mofba.org

Last edited by GTABill; 05-17-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2017   #6
DynoDave

As much as the first owner liked keeping the car original, I wish he HAD taken the old alternator for a rebuild.

But he was a GM engineer, liked keeping it all GM, including having all the work done by a GM dealer. So a rebuild wasn't in the cards, I guess. Hence the Delco reman.

That's a pretty good haul for you for sure. My brother was just at a show in Hannibal.
POCI #72200
Old 05-18-2017   #7
GTABill

I've done that haul every year since 2007 except for 2011 and 2013 and have had a blast every year even though I've had a couple issues come up with the GTA. Hannibal is about a 4 hour jaunt and I've made it in the GTA. Only time it has ever seen snow. Did a spring cruise and and a freak snow squall came out of nowhere........Great cruise.......bad weather and one stressed out driver lol.

www.mofba.org
Old 05-19-2017   #8
DynoDave

These cars are no fun in the snow. That's for sure. I had a '91 Camaro RS with the 16" wheels and tires, and it was my only car here in Michigan. I could get stuck in a 1/2 inch of snow in my own driveway.
POCI #72200