Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-18-2007   #1
Hoonbash

How to remove hood side vents ?

Greetings

Somebody please pass on the correct way to do this without mangling them up.

Thanks
Hoonbash
Hoonbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #2
Stephen

Re: How to remove hood side vents ?

Side vents, on a hood?

5.7/700R4/3.27 M78--4th gen front seats/stock split rear seats--
17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #3
alivenkickin29

are u talking about the little vents up close to the windsheild on the top of the hood? If so, y ou have to remove them from underneath the hood -- they have little bolts i believe -- i don't think they pop out -- the ones at the front of the nose on the hood I know for a fact have to come off from under the hood --
alivenkickin29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #4
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alivenkickin29
are u talking about the little vents up close to the windsheild on the top of the hood? If so, y ou have to remove them from underneath the hood -- they have little bolts i believe -- i don't think they pop out -- the ones at the front of the nose on the hood I know for a fact have to come off from under the hood --
For a FACT, huh? That's funny...My 87 GTA ones had a bolt from underneath, but the vent itself, came off the hod, from the top. My 89 GTA is the same way.

5.7/700R4/3.27 M78--4th gen front seats/stock split rear seats--
17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #5
Hoonbash

Forgot to mention it's an 87 GTA

Searched on how the front vents come off too,had the same trouble as others not being able to get a socket in one of the holes,all I did was undo the one you can get at then popped the back of the vent off and slid it out,didn't have to worry about that stupid bolt,who ever designed that should get a kick in the ass.

The little side vents near the windshield are held in with two clips.

Thanks for the replies Gents & torque to ya later
Hoonbash
Hoonbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #6
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Hello HoonBash,

The vents on the sides of the hood near the windsheild are not easy to come off. Like the one person said, you have to get them loosened from under the hood. If you have never removed them before, it is sort of difficult, you need to get a flashlight and a long narrow screwdriver or something like that, but you also have to be very careful not to scratch your paint or break the plastic vent inserts.

The side hood inserts are held in place with metal clips. You need to use the screwdriver to push the metal clips inward towards the inserts. At the same time you need to push a little bit on the inserts from under the hood and with your other hand it is a good idea to have it touching the inserts on the outside of the hood, because once you push the metal clips in and pushing out on the insert, the insert will pop out and could slide down the hood which may damage the paint finish of the hood. There are only two metal clips per insert and they are both on the same side of each insert. Again, you want to be careful not to break the plastic inserts or scratch your paint.

The two inserts that are near the front of the hood are much more easier to remove. They have also two connectors. But the connectors are only trim nuts. The nuts are very thin metal and they are threaded by cutting into the plastic tabs on each insert. Yumiko