Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > NON-GTA SPECIFIC > GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA)

GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA) Use this forum to discuss topics of a more general nature.... it can be auto-related on not. Your choice. But above all, please be adult and responsible in your postings.

Old 11-24-2009   #1
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

How much is it worth?

Since I bought my Bird last month for 10k with 19,900 miles, it is an 88 5-speed like new, I am wondering how much you guys think its worth. I am happy with what I paid, but given the economy now and before what do you think it is worth? I saw a barrett-jackson auction and seems like they can go over 20 but I know I have more miles. but I also have 5 speed and as good as the one here:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=303&pop=1

Thoughts?
Old 11-25-2009   #2
GTABill

Re: How much is it worth?

That's not too bad of a price and if you are happy with it that is all that matters. I paid 12K for mine back in 1998 and it had just under 12k miles on it. I was looking at a classic car publication recently just to see if my car would be in it and it was basically saying that the value on mine is what I paid for it when I bought it so I think you did pretty good.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009   #3
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

thanks I love it and looking not to sell it, but wanting to know if I got a decent deal.
Old 11-29-2009   #4
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I was going to say too that the car at Barrett Jackson was absolutely spotless, bottom, inside and out. No swirls in the paint, not even a spec of dirt on the undercarriage. I saw it in person. I would say 10 thousand was a good price for your car. I payed 7 for my GTA last year, and it had 75,000 miles on it. Mine is an L98, tan leather, and was a notchback though. I didn't really research the price of what GTAs were going for back then, when I bought mine it was just kind of a "HOLY SHIT I WANT IT" moment. I thought it was a damn good price... Even now I still think it was.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK

Last edited by BigBadGTA; 11-29-2009 at 07:40 PM.
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #5
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

My undercarriage is also spotless believe it or not. Looks perfect. My car has very little in the way of swirls. I have a good swirl mark remover I am going to use this spring on it. I promise, mine can look as good. Wife is back being mad about it and I am tempted to sell it to prove a point to her that it is worth something. I would wait for a recovery. I very very conflicted. want the wife happy but know this car is something else. How many miles on the Barrett Jackson one? It didnt say but not 5.7 and not 5-speed.
Old 11-30-2009   #6
irritated_cube
J Kafal

Thats a pretty good buy. I remember that car being on AT.com for quite some time. He wanted upwards of 18,000 for the car at the time. I offered him little more than half that and was surprised that he was interested. Having to go back to work kyboshed that idea since when I was able to get back to him it was sold.

I am happy it went to an enthusiast since now I know its in good hands.

Also regarding swirl marks on a black car, I suggest you head over to the meguiars forum. Some of the guys on there can work magic and teach you how to do it. I have saved myself atleast $1,000+ dollars on buffing out a nasty paint transfer and road paint overspray on my truck.
Old 12-01-2009   #7
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Justin,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was surprised he went for it after asking so much and it being on there so long. He was 65 and I think just wanted to get something out of it. He put 3000 miles on it since 90 which was when he bought it. I think it is worth 15 in its current condition. After I work on the paint a bit (and believe me it is like new anyway) it wont take much to get this where I want it to be. I kinda wanted a 89 t-top 5.7 but since they only made 800+ of the 5 speed I am betting that it will be the choice. Think of a 409 with auto or stick. The standard is worth much more. but again, I dont want to get rid of it. I do love the car. thinking about sub frame connnectors though. I hate that it wouldnt be stock but it would make me happy.
Old 12-01-2009   #8
irritated_cube
J Kafal

5 speed cars are certainly more rare as far as GTA's go. I would prefer one to be honest to my L98 Auto. As far as value, value is directly related to supply and demand. I think that by looking at the production figures for the GTA you will see that most buyers preferred the bigger motor over the desire to shift gears manually. That was what made the GTA special; the "Corvette" engine under the hood.

Now 20 years later is it still the same preference? Who knows but looking at older cars nobody in the day wanted a column shift SD455 Trans Am but I recall seeing one for sale that captured alot of interest since it had that option.

As for the paint on your GTA, im sure its beautiful so was mine when I bought it and I didn't think there was anything I could do to improve it yet after weeks of research and practice the difference was incredible.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy that car and be prepared to answer alot of questions to interested people when you take it somewhere.
Old 12-01-2009   #9
Louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
Since I bought my Bird last month for 10k with 19,900 miles, it is an 88 5-speed like new, I am wondering how much you guys think its worth. I am happy with what I paid, but given the economy now and before what do you think it is worth? I saw a barrett-jackson auction and seems like they can go over 20 but I know I have more miles. but I also have 5 speed and as good as the one here:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=303&pop=1

Thoughts?
Our cars sure have sold for numbers that are all over the place. The Barrett car likely had a specific buyer that was interested in it. You also have to keep in mind the seller has to pay commissions, the cost of attending the show (if you don't live close by) and even the cost of transporting the vehicle there. Barrett is also very risky considering that it's a no reserve auction. The seller of that GTA could have only gotten 10k and there wouldn't have been a thing that he could have done about it.

Anyway ... sounds like you have a nice car and you definitely got it for a very fair price. I will say that once a "classic" car has passed 20k on the odometer, it's value is going to drop significantly (with ultra rare cars being the exception). The lower the miles the better in the classic car collector world.

There were a lot of good responses in this thread ... a good read!

My Garage
Louvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #10
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

thanks one and all