Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-03-2002   #1
DA BRONX
87 GTA Owner

Question 87 GTA 305 MISS, hard to start?Help!

I have and 87 GTA, it has a miss. It also hard to start when cold.........As soon as i mash the gas the miss comes then goes away..at higher RPMs....also it idels rough like it wants to stall and sometimes does, its hard to start back up after she stalls it has no codes, i put it on a snap on scanner, i dont have a check engine light...could it be a low volt sensor or timing?..Anyone have any idea?????????I need help big time..thank
Old 05-05-2002   #2
Ozzy88GTA
Old Timer

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic
There are 2 things (of many) that I can think of that will make the car run rought and make it hard to start. One is the injectors might need cleaning. You can use a good injector cleaner fluid off the shelf at the auto parts store. Second the missing could be caused by bad spark plugs. That happened to me some time ago. The #1 plug had a cracked ceramic insulation and the car missed like crazy. You could check it at night in the dark and look for the jumping spark. Also your plug wires could be going bad too. I had to spend some good money on a set of Holey cables to keep the sparks in check since I am using an MSD setup.
That's just a start.
Later,
Ozzy
Ozzy88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002   #3
DarionIV
Z/HAWK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozzy88GTA
There are 2 things (of many) that I can think of that will make the car run rought and make it hard to start. One is the injectors might need cleaning. You can use a good injector cleaner fluid off the shelf at the auto parts store. Second the missing could be caused by bad spark plugs. That happened to me some time ago. The #1 plug had a cracked ceramic insulation and the car missed like crazy. You could check it at night in the dark and look for the jumping spark. Also your plug wires could be going bad too. I had to spend some good money on a set of Holey cables to keep the sparks in check since I am using an MSD setup.
That's just a start.
Later,
Ozzy
Good suggestions, I'd check out the spark plugs first.
How long has it been since you have done a good tune up? And even if it hasn't been a while one of your spark plugs could easily be cracked. Its been known to happen.

Good luck
Webpage:www.angelfire.com/wa3/ivhorsepower
Manager:NorthwestCamaros

DarionIv
DarionIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002   #4
DA BRONX
87 GTA Owner

Question

I did a full tune up on it from plugs to wires to cap rotor...it had the miss before and after cant get away from it.i did the timing today and changed the O2 sen,and tps senand still runs the same
Old 05-05-2002   #5
DA BRONX
87 GTA Owner

thanks

thanks guys for your help so far
Old 05-05-2002   #6
Ozzy88GTA
Old Timer

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic
We are not out of options yet.
A bad IAC could give you a bad idle and sometimes the car will be hard to start too. Since there is no feedback signal to the ECM in respect to the condition of the IAC, it is hard to diagnose.
The missing could be caused by a bad Ignition Module too.
I am leaning more towards an electronic problem and not a fuel delivery problem. I say that because the car runs fine at higher than idle. That's just a thought of course and there could be other things not yet discussed.
Good luck,
Ozzy
Ozzy88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002   #7
DA BRONX
87 GTA Owner

Ok...Im going to change the IAC..and see whats the turn out.. I changed the Ignition Module when i did the tune up...ill let you know what happens....thanks for all your help...Ozzy88GTA..
Old 05-26-2002   #8
DA BRONX
87 GTA Owner

1987 GTA

Ok....i did the IAC..the cars seeems to start a little better ,but it still has the miss (not as bad)
Old 05-26-2002   #9
88BlackGTA
GTA Member

Talking Dumb Question

Sorry for a dumb questiuon, but what exactly does it mean when you have a MISS? Haven't had any problems with my 88 yet so I don't know...
88BlackGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002   #10
Red88GTA
GTA Member

In the Firebird Service Manual, it states that an EGR Valve stuck open will make cold starts hard and will likely stall after started. Not to mention, poor driveability at idle (since EGR is not suppose to kick in until off-idle conditions.)

Otherwise, cold start problems are usually attributed to a stuck closed cold-start valve (not called an injector) or a burned up cold-start switch.
Red88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002   #11
Krazzycowgirl
Female Dragster

Quote:
Originally posted by Red88GTA
In the Firebird Service Manual, it states that an EGR Valve stuck open will make cold starts hard and will likely stall after started. Not to mention, poor driveability at idle (since EGR is not suppose to kick in until off-idle conditions.)

Otherwise, cold start problems are usually attributed to a stuck closed cold-start valve (not called an injector) or a burned up cold-start switch.
I was just going to say the EGR system because My 83 Firebird did something along the same lines. Then we noticed the EGR system was cut & missing parts.
Silver 2000 GP Daytona Pace car
Newest is a 67 C10 Step side short bed pick up.

2003 South area Rep: Pacific Northwest Camaro Club
www.pnwcc.com forums http://hpiv.net/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/index.php
Webpage: www.hpiv.net
Wife to Darioniv

Krazzy :krazy2:
Krazzycowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002   #12
DA BRONX
87 GTA Owner

Skull & Crossbones thanks

Thanks Guys and Girls, ill try the EGR next
Old 05-29-2002   #13
nblanchard
GTA Member

I hope you're not doing the "replace everything until you fix the problem" diagnostics... this could be very expensive. At the end, its worth it just to take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it

225.5hp @ 4250rpm (at the wheels)
325.8ft-lbs @ 3250rpm (at the wheels)
nblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002   #14
DA BRONX
87 GTA Owner

i had someone put a snap on scanner on the car there no codes everything seemed to be ok he said....all i have left is the EGR to change...this sucks
Old 05-29-2002   #15
nblanchard
GTA Member

yeah... well.. my car had no codes either. except for the code 12 (means ECM is running).... so you htink everything is ok, right? Nope... ECM was toast, was only sending 1.4V to the TPS.. so don't always trust the scanner tool. Was the car driven with the scanner tool and parameters checked? If not... then you could have found the problem that way. Have you checked Fuel Pressure at the schroeder valve?

225.5hp @ 4250rpm (at the wheels)
325.8ft-lbs @ 3250rpm (at the wheels)
nblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote