Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 01-12-2008   #61
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Re: DIGIT DASH... strange???

Sorry, I do not have any of that part. Also the black thing under the hood that you are talking about, are you referring to the system that is located in the engine compartment on the driver side between the windshield washer fluid tank and the engine? That is what I think you are referencing. Yumiko

Last edited by gtayumiko; 01-12-2008 at 04:27 PM.
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #62
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Is this the system under the hood you are talking about? Yumiko
Old 01-13-2008   #63
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
Is this the system under the hood you are talking about? Yumiko
yeah..exactly that part...
Don't you think it's that part that malfunction
yves_transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008   #64
merc3065

Thats the cruise control unit.

Inspect the little rubberized bag that the wires hook into to check for any holes or rot. Check the vacuum line that runs from the cruise control unit back to the brake pedal underneath the steering wheel.

Check the brake pedal sensor, make sure it still springs in and out.

Finally if that all checks out, you probably have to replace the turn signal lever. The "stalk" as someone previously mentioned.
Old 01-13-2008   #65
gtayumiko
GTA Member

I looked at my GM service manual and in the diagram it shows that the system is part of that bulb that is located inside the drivers side fender. The bulb is connected to the system under the hood that I put a photograph of in my previous post. You may want to check to see if that bulb can hold pressures (not cracked or broken) and also check to make sure that the vacuum hose is connected properly and the hose does not have cracks or holes.

That cruise control system is a very complicated looking system from what I saw in the service manual. It does not look like a simple thing to work on to me. Yumiko
Old 01-13-2008   #66
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
I looked at my GM service manual and in the diagram it shows that the system is part of that bulb that is located inside the drivers side fender. The bulb is connected to the system under the hood that I put a photograph of in my previous post. You may want to check to see if that bulb can hold pressures (not cracked or broken) and also check to make sure that the vacuum hose is connected properly and the hose does not have cracks or holes.

That cruise control system is a very complicated looking system from what I saw in the service manual. It does not look like a simple thing to work on to me. Yumiko
Ok ....will have to have a look at the system...all I know is that my bulb seems to have a low pressure...if you anderstand what I mean..

BY the way...I would like to know where can I have all the vacum lines...please have you got a dealer that could sell me those parts...

Thanks everybody....
Old 01-13-2008   #67
merc3065

oh the vacuum ball is the "bulb" you guys are talking about?

Located under the battery tray on the driver's side.

The cruise control system is actually very simple.

There's 3 main parts to it, the cruise control solenoid, vacuum lines, and the harness to power it.

The cruise control system, does has a seperate wire harness that goes in through the firewall up under the dash and into the steering column. It also hooks into a relay that pulls power from the main harness.

The vacuum line(the main one) goes from the solenoid, to a pressure switch which is in turn connected to the brake pedal. Once the brakes are activated, the pressure switch will either make a high or low pressure change in the vacuum system which will trip the system to disengage.

The vacuum line that provides the cruise control is eventually connected to the vacuum ball underneath the fender. However, it goes from the solenoid, to a 'T' which in turn feeds off of the intake manifold vacuum port. There is a second vacuum line which will then branch off of that and go into the vacuum ball.

Its not exactly complicated, but it can be if you don't know what you are exactly looking for.

Best bet, is to take it to a mechanic who can scope the computer/engine or use a digital multimeter to see if the cruise system is actually engaging. I believe it is also a flag in the ECM that lets the computer know that the cruise control system is engaged.
Old 01-14-2008   #68
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065
oh the vacuum ball is the "bulb" you guys are talking about?

Located under the battery tray on the driver's side.

The cruise control system is actually very simple.

There's 3 main parts to it, the cruise control solenoid, vacuum lines, and the harness to power it.

The cruise control system, does has a seperate wire harness that goes in through the firewall up under the dash and into the steering column. It also hooks into a relay that pulls power from the main harness.

The vacuum line(the main one) goes from the solenoid, to a pressure switch which is in turn connected to the brake pedal. Once the brakes are activated, the pressure switch will either make a high or low pressure change in the vacuum system which will trip the system to disengage.

The vacuum line that provides the cruise control is eventually connected to the vacuum ball underneath the fender. However, it goes from the solenoid, to a 'T' which in turn feeds off of the intake manifold vacuum port. There is a second vacuum line which will then branch off of that and go into the vacuum ball.

Its not exactly complicated, but it can be if you don't know what you are exactly looking for.

Best bet, is to take it to a mechanic who can scope the computer/engine or use a digital multimeter to see if the cruise system is actually engaging. I believe it is also a flag in the ECM that lets the computer know that the cruise control system is engaged.
very interesting...I'll take a look at this this friday...cause my car doesn't work at all...I've let another topics aboutr my car which is malfunction....
Old 01-14-2008   #69
dougdez
execute order 66

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

take some more pictures of the digital display,with all lights on
Old 01-16-2008   #70
dougdez
execute order 66

my gta link - http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t243/dougdez/
Old 01-16-2008   #71
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Man looks like the inspector gadget car or something. LOL. I like it.
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #72
dougdez
execute order 66

what part do you like best?
Old 01-16-2008   #73
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

dougdez, I noticed something different with your temperature gauge. The second bar from the top is orange in your pictures. On all of my digital dashes, it's red just like the top bar. Did you change yours?

Also, do you have an issue with your security system? In one of your pictures (looking inside from the passenger door), the security light is on while the rest of the digital dash shows "idle".

The security light supposed to turn off after a few seconds after the key was turned on.
Old 01-16-2008   #74
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdez
Its all very cool, not sure what I liked the best, I have did some simular things to my ta. Nothing as wild as yours. I have added some emblems and soforth. The arm rest console all those switches what is that out of and does it work on your ta. If so how did u pull that off. If you dont mind me asking
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #75
dougdez
execute order 66

the second bar on my temp gauge has always been,orange. i have my "security" light on a switch.console arm rest switch panel is from a 89 turbo grand prix,only for looks. alot of the things i have added only serve the purpose of "looks" , as in karr/kitt
Old 01-17-2008   #76
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdez
...love your aero wing...
Old 01-17-2008   #77
dougdez
execute order 66

thank you yves,,,it took some work to make the 4th gen (97 TA) wing fit with the louvers on