Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 01-10-2008   #41
yves_transam

Re: DIGIT DASH... strange???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyT
dougdez, you obviously did a much better job capturing each segment on the display than I did. My example was from a few years ago, using an old (now) camera. I think that was from my '88 Trans AM than my '88 GTA Notchback. The digital dash is exactly the same between them - except the "Security" lamp on the '88 Trans AM.
Just got the same first dash...but never seen the security lamp??

For the ttop I will see I there is a GM logo somewhere tomorrow..
yves_transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #42
dougdez
execute order 66

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

jeremyt,,,thats inside/outside temperature readouts. i like adding too the interior,as kitt/karr are a big influence to me.but i also like to make sure the add ons are as if,,pontiac did them,instead of a quick weekend project. the only thing about my digital display picture,i forgot,to have high beam and flashers active,which you know are right below the mph display.

Last edited by dougdez; 01-10-2008 at 11:43 AM. Reason: just forgot some text
dougdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #43
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

yves_transam, look at your ignition key. Do you have a black "chip" (it's not really a chip - but looks like one) below the head of the ignition key?

See this image, from this website, to illustrate my question:

If I recall correctly, not all 1987 GTAs had the security system. If your GTA does have it, the lamp could be missing or burned out, or a previous owner could have bypassed it. They weren't trouble free systems.
Old 01-10-2008   #44
merc3065

Im going to be changing the back colours of my LCD on the digital dash to blue/green instead of pontiac orange. Should be interesting as the digital dash uses lights to shine through coloured plastic to make the colours on the readouts.
Old 01-10-2008   #45
dougdez
execute order 66

be sure to post pictures merc3065,i have played around with that idea myself.
Old 01-10-2008   #46
yves_transam

Quote:
yves_transam, look at your ignition key. Do you have a black "chip" (it's not really a chip - but looks like one) below the head of the ignition key?

See this image, from this website, to illustrate my question:

If I recall correctly, not all 1987 GTAs had the security system. If your GTA does have it, the lamp could be missing or burned out, or a previous owner could have bypassed it. They weren't trouble free systems.
I think that what you're talking about is the VAT Key? no? I read that it came only on 88 models...Ihavn't got this system
Old 01-10-2008   #47
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by yves_transam
I think that what you're talking about is the VAT Key? no? I read that it came only on 88 models...Ihavn't got this system
I may have been remembering incorrectly. I thought it was in 1987 on the GTA, but Frankie's information states it was 1988 and not all of them received it.

If you don't have the VATs, which includes the resistor on the key as shown in the picture, then you will not have a functioning Security lamp.
Old 01-10-2008   #48
yves_transam

Quote:
I may have been remembering incorrectly. I thought it was in 1987 on the GTA, but Frankie's information states it was 1988 and not all of them received it.

If you don't have the VATs, which includes the resistor on the key as shown in the picture, then you will not have a functioning Security lamp.
that's ok...it's clear...thanks
Old 01-11-2008   #49
dougdez
execute order 66

my idea for cruise control on/off , indication. will be lite red when criuse switch is set to on position. then green with small orange square when cruise is active. what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg digital display-full 1-08 040.jpg (45.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-11-2008   #50
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdez
my idea for cruise control on/off , indication. will be lite red when criuse switch is set to on position. then green with small orange square when cruise is active. what do you think?
really strange but my cruise control doesn't work and I don't know why...? when I put it nothing happen
Old 01-11-2008   #51
Wes

Quote:
really strange but my cruise control doesn't work and I don't know why...? when I put it nothing happen
My guess is it doesnt work because its broken. Typical of GM cruise controls of that era. At least in my experience
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #52
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
My guess is it doesnt work because its broken. Typical of GM cruise controls of that era. At least in my experience
what is to change?
Old 01-11-2008   #53
Wes

Quote:
what is to change?
My guess would be the stalk itself
Old 01-11-2008   #54
dougdez
execute order 66

alot of times ,,its even a bad vaccum hose
Old 01-11-2008   #55
dougdez
execute order 66

besides,,lol,,i thought this was a discussion about our digital dash layouts ! geeeeeezeeee,,,lol
Old 01-12-2008   #56
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdez
besides,,lol,,i thought this was a discussion about our digital dash layouts ! geeeeeezeeee,,,lol
sorry...but a lot of topics are in this topics...lol

1 Some answers : I havn't got GM logo on the TTOP...but it's seems to be stock...
is there something that could indentify it?

2 I suppose I must change the cruise system...what si the stark? don't find this word in my dictionnary....

3 How and where can I find a set of new vaccum lines...I don't find in france...it's not the same measures

4 About the dash...I have some lights out of order...how to do to change them?

Thanks a lot for all help
Old 01-12-2008   #57
Wes

Quote:
sorry...but a lot of topics are in this topics...lol

1 Some answers : I havn't got GM logo on the TTOP...but it's seems to be stock...
is there something that could indentify it?

2 I suppose I must change the cruise system...what si the stark? don't find this word in my dictionnary....
This is the stalk

http://www.moderndaymuscle.com/inc/sdetail/14891

if i had my car here, i would check the tops to see if there is any identifying printing on them from the factory. maybe someone else can offer something to look for
Old 01-12-2008   #58
gtayumiko
GTA Member

You will need to tell us which lights are not working, because there are so many of them and each type has a different way to change them or to access them.

Also you may want to check to see if that plastic bulb that is located in the driver side fender is connected by a vacuum hose and if that bulb can hold the air pressure. When we were rebuilding my GTA some years ago, we broke the plastic where the vacuum hose connects because it was old and brittle. I recall I think that some of my GTA functions did not work properly until we replaced the bulb with a new one. I think the cruise control was affected because of that too.

To change that cruise control/window wiper/washer switch, you just need to either push it in and then twist it out, or it just can be pulled out. We changed mine just because I wanted a new one with all of the lettering on it, my original one the letters were wearing off of it. That is a very hard thing to change because that wire runs inside the column and down under the dash. Best thing to do it remove the front driver seat so you can practically lay down looking up and work that way, or you may get a serious back pain because you will be bend in a hard position for a long time. Good luck, it is a lot of work and you have to be creative and try different technics to get the wire to go where it needs to be and most of all you have to be very patient with it. Yumiko

Last edited by gtayumiko; 01-12-2008 at 01:46 PM.
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #59
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
This is the stalk

http://www.moderndaymuscle.com/inc/sdetail/14891

if i had my car here, i would check the tops to see if there is any identifying printing on them from the factory. maybe someone else can offer something to look for
ah ok...for me it's not that thing that doesn't work...I think this is the system with the black thing under the hood...no?
Old 01-12-2008   #60
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
You will need to tell us which lights are not working, because there are so many of them and each type has a different way to change them or to access them.

Also you may want to check to see if that plastic bulb that is located in the driver side fender is connected by a vacuum hose and if that bulb can hold the air pressure. When we were rebuilding my GTA some years ago, we broke the plastic where the vacuum hose connects because it was old and brittle. I recall I think that some of my GTA functions did not work properly until we replaced the bulb with a new one. I think the cruise control was affected because of that too.

To change that cruise control/window wiper/washer switch, you just need to either push it in and then twist it out, or it just can be pulled out. We changed mine just because I wanted a new one with all of the lettering on it, my original one the letters were wearing off of it. That is a very hard thing to change because that wire runs inside the column and down under the dash. Best thing to do it remove the front driver seat so you can practically lay down looking up and work that way, or you may get a serious back pain because you will be bend in a hard position for a long time. Good luck, it is a lot of work and you have to be creative and try different technics to get the wire to go where it needs to be and most of all you have to be very patient with it. Yumiko
thanks yumiko...I'm gonna see that bulb...would you have somme pics aboutr thta part?thanks