Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-18-2005   #21
LrdNexus
F-Body Member

Re: a french gta'sowner

That steering wheel is a 87 model steering wheel..my car has the same one in it. They didn't have controls on them in that year.

The wheels are stock Trans Am wheels and not GTA wheels. They can be found on a few years of Trans Ams. We have a lot of those running around my town.

And without the front emblem, All GTA's had the front emblem. Chances are if yours had it, when the car was repainted and do to damage to the emblem which isn't uncommon it was never put back on or replaced.

And I hestitate to say this..but with the rpo code being torn out and the trans am wheels on it, and the front emblem being missing I'd be a little concerned that isn't a GTA. I went through authentication with mine as well as my RPO code sheet was missing as well, and mine had all the things yours is missing, of course it might just be people replaced things over the years with other parts. Theres something to be said for those black trans am wheels.

You might want to talk to the pontiac historical society and see if you can have your car traced back.
LrdNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #22
nblanchard
GTA Member

I dunno... that interior screams GTA... to have that colour, in that style seat, says it all

225.5hp @ 4250rpm (at the wheels)
325.8ft-lbs @ 3250rpm (at the wheels)
nblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #23
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LrdNexus
That steering wheel is a 87 model steering wheel..my car has the same one in it. They didn't have controls on them in that year.

The wheels are stock Trans Am wheels and not GTA wheels ANYTHING, there was the 87 gta's wheel as mine, on which there was the gta's emblem. They can be found on a few years of Trans Ams. We have a lot of those running around my town.

And without the front emblem, All GTA's had the front emblemNot sure, I wait for a confirmation. . Chances are if yours had it, when the car was repainted and do to damage to the emblem which isn't uncommon it was never put back on or replaced...SURE.

And I hestitate to say this..but with the rpo code being torn out and the trans am wheels on it, and the front emblem being missing I'd be a little concerned that isn't a GTA. I went through authentication with mine as well as my RPO code sheet was missing as well, and mine had all the things yours is missing, of course it might just be people replaced things over the years with other parts. Theres something to be said for those black trans am wheels.

You might want to talk to the pontiac historical society and see if you can have your car traced back.
That have been made before having a licence plate...look at the pictures before telling mistakes...
I'll be a little concerned that you hav'nt got enough knowledge about GTA's in order to answer to my question
Sorry but I'm proud to have a GTA and I don't like someone tells me that it's not one...do you want the vin code or any other clues?
yves_transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #24
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

My wife's 87 had the gold wheels and the same steering wheel but with analog gauges. And I had a friend a GM dealer look up the VIN to get an extra key and we could not find the codes. According to him that usually means that it was a GM employees' car. He said the reason they did that was to stop people from (after trading) comming back and taking joy rides in their old cars. He said it happened all to often. That may explain alot in this case. Not sure just a thought.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #25
yves_transam

Have you got pictures cliff about your gta's wife?
In interest me.
I have also the digital dash...and a rare option about the gain level...
My GTA have every option you could find that year.
The first owner, I think would like all the options...the chromatic mirror, the gain level, the K7 radio with all options....the digital dash...all that options are very rares...
Old 09-19-2005   #26
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Unfortunatley no. It developed some internal engine problems and I sold it. Couldnt afford at that time to maintain 2 at one time.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #27
yves_transam

snif that's a pity...
Old 09-19-2005   #28
LrdNexus
F-Body Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yves_transam
That have been made before having a licence plate...look at the pictures before telling mistakes...
I'll be a little concerned that you hav'nt got enough knowledge about GTA's in order to answer to my question
Sorry but I'm proud to have a GTA and I don't like someone tells me that it's not one...do you want the vin code or any other clues?
Do note I said MIGHT not have been one. I didn't say one way or another. Just that it has some telling mistakes, and those are easily explained logically. Don't get your hackles up over it, there was just some inconsistancies and I was concerned.

And the reason I say MIGHT not have been one, is the very proof you need to tell one way or another is missing. If you had the code sheet from the glove box it would tell you. Add in the other little things like the wheels and emblem and it becomes very suspicious.

But as i also pointed out it could have a logical reasons for it all. I even gave some. Theres no way the Vin Code can identify a GTA, it will just tell you it's a Pontiac Trans Am because thats what they say. Since your missing the code sheet, I suggested to you the only other way of finding out, having the pontiac historical do a search for you on your car.
Old 09-20-2005   #29
yves_transam

not totally right not totally wrong...
Just have a look to the pictures and you'll see that it's a GTA..that's all.
Just about the vin code...in fact you could'nt tell if it's a GTA or not...you're right...but in 1987 and after on this vin code there is a 8 on 8ieth place...that provethat is a 5,7 liters...and which cars were builted with a 5,7L....the GTA...and may be...maybe...I'm not sure formulas...
There's no doubt about it....I also got a certificate by GM that prove it...french obligation...

First I'd like you admit your mistake about the steering wheel.

no hard feelings...
I just proud of my car and I don't like somebody has a doubt about my words...
Old 09-20-2005   #30
LrdNexus
F-Body Member

Quote:
First I'd like you admit your mistake about the steering wheel.

no hard feelings...
I just proud of my car and I don't like somebody has a doubt about my words...
aaahh.....What mistake? It's a GTA steering wheel, my car has the exact same one in it. As far as I know 87's where the only ones to have that steering wheel as the 88's went to steering wheels with radio controls.

As for the rest, you have a right to be proud of it. it's a beautiful car, but I'm not going to change my doubts. Pictures and vin codes mean very little, people DO create replica's and as the website says some of them can be damn convincing. I'm not saying you got jipped on yours, the car was worth whatever you paid for it. But if I was going to make a replica and sell it, it would be overseas where people are likely to have a harder time proving otherwise, but without access to the historical data on your car I certianly cannot say one way or another and from what I can tell neither can you.

So the best your going to get from me is...Whatever. I tried to show some friendly concern and you get angry. So I'll shut up about it because honestly whether your car is or is not does not matter to me, after all it's not my car.

Congrats on buying a very nice looking car, and enjoy it as I imagine it's a differant experince driving one on the roads over there where they aren't quite so common place.
Old 09-20-2005   #31
nblanchard
GTA Member

tell me this... if you were going to make a replica GTA... I doubt they would find the rarest colour interior for that year (in fact, only 1987 had that colour interior).... just that fact alone makes me believe strongly its a true GTA.

Old 09-21-2005   #32
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LrdNexus
It's about that detail I want you admit your mistake...do you need glasses...I can take a picture from it if you want...on this emblem GTA was written...so it's not just a 87 model...it's GTA's model...that's all
it would be overseas where people are likely to have a harder time proving otherwise, but without access to the historical as I aid to you it's aobligation in france data on your car I certianly cannot say one way or another and from what I can tell neither can you.

That's not because I'm french...that I'm a fool...I know what I bought.

I don't angry with you as you said this my car...but just one thing...don't tell me doubt about it...in France we are not proud of ourselves but we don't like someone makes doubts about our words...maybe I could tell you the same for your car...have you got some pictures in order that you prove your is a GTA? cause you know this...slick in the glove box...maybe yours is not really from your car...
As you could see it really becomes a fool situation and I don't think that it's this forum way.

In fact I think you don't like french people...well a political point...no?
On the other topic I wrote something about th vin cde..about the options...and others things...
As I can see..you don't take care about what I said...so even if I could easily prove it...you told me the same....

Hie every body...somebody tolds aFrench cannot get a GTA.

It' isn't worth talking about it...there's no way...so the show must go on...
Old 09-21-2005   #33
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblanchard
tell me this... if you were going to make a replica GTA... I doubt they would find the rarest colour interior for that year (in fact, only 1987 had that colour interior).... just that fact alone makes me believe strongly its a true GTA.
Really thanks to rely on me...I have a friend who have the same interior and the same red flame exterior colour...but he hasn't got the digit dash...an his car hasn't got no emblem on the front....He said to me that his car was one of the first one produiced as mine...but I wait for a confirmation by GM...
Old 09-21-2005   #34
LrdNexus
F-Body Member

Quote:
I don't angry with you as you said this my car...but just one thing...don't tell me doubt about it...in France we are not proud of ourselves but we don't like someone makes doubts about our words...maybe I could tell you the same for your car...have you got some pictures in order that you prove your is a GTA? cause you know this...slick in the glove box...maybe yours is not really from your car...
As you could see it really becomes a fool situation and I don't think that it's this forum way.

In fact I think you don't like french people...well a political point...no?
On the other topic I wrote something about th vin cde..about the options...and others things...
As I can see..you don't take care about what I said...so even if I could easily prove it...you told me the same....

Hie every body...somebody tolds aFrench cannot get a GTA.

It' isn't worth talking about it...there's no way...so the show must go on...
LOL oh my thats priceless. You somehow dedueced I don't like french people because your car has a few mistakes. Oh my THAT IS PRICELESS! If I wasn't rolling in laughter I might have been offended. Theres a term for people pulling that crap, it's called Flaming, and it is not looked kindly upon by most forums. So please keep your own views about what I think of french, spanish, japanese, or hungarian people to yourself as you don't know me and I don't know you. I could say some really unflattering things just from what I've gleaned from your posts about you, But I kept to topic which was the discreptencies in your car. Not YOUR political views, which I freely admit to knowing nothing about, nor do I care to know.

Since your native tongue is not english I'll give you that you'd be confused about the steering wheel thing. When I say 87's have it, I ment ALL 87 GTA's have that steering wheel..as I tried to explain twice but apparently wasn't getting through to you. We tend to referre to GTA's by year instead of saying 1987 GTA everytime. Mine is also a 87 GTA and has the same wheel..someone asked where they could get a wheel like that and I just clarified where they can be found. So stop LOOKING for insult, I was confirming someones elses question, and in fact that line of thought had NOTHING to do with whether your car was or was not a GTA.

as for the truth of the matter, No I can't say 100% mine is a GTA, and considering the state it was in when I got it, it has enough little things in it that I was and still am a little supicious of it's orgins. But I have talked to the last 3 owners which includes all but the guy who bought it orginally in 1986. They all remember it being a GTA, then again they could be lieing, or the orginal owner could have changed it. Short of doing the same search I recommended to you I will never know for 100% sure. I even brought mines authenticity up to this board last year if you care to look back into the those posts.

I can say nothing of french's laws about bringing cars into a country. But I sincerely doubt they trace each cars history back to it's production. They probably do pretty much the same back ground check our states do when you register a car. Which can give you some data but not everything about a car. And if you look at the authenticty section of the webpages put up here, you'll notice they say repeatedly how hard it is to confirm these things. I know I read the whole section when I was researching my own car.

nblanchard is right, yours probably is a GTA, beacuse of the inside. But then all I stated orginally is your car has non GTA wheels and a missing front emblem. That is easily explained, as I also pointed out, and even gave reasons why those things might not be right.

And as I already said I'm not going to debate this issue anymore, I saw problems, told you how you can be sure. If you choose to ignore the advice, you are certianly within your rights to do so. It really does not effect me one way or the other. I'm just a person who likes to be sure about things. Hence the reason I did take time to research mine and still do research on it, instead of taking the word of a friend, or the word of some goverment employee who could also care less.
Old 09-21-2005   #35
yves_transam

Well be quite I understand what you said...

nblanchard is right, yours probably is a GTA I'm really happy somebody knows what is a GTA, beacuse of the inside. But then all I stated orginally is your car has non GTA wheels It's that speech than I can't support...where have you seen or heard that my wheels arn't gta wheells...when I say you must have glasses...have a look to the pictures one more time...and a missing front emblem. That is easily explained, as I also pointed out, and even gave reasons why those things might not be right.

And as I already said I'm not going to debate this issue anymore, I saw problems, told you how you can be sure. If you choose to ignore the advice, you are certianly within your rights to do so. It really does not effect me one way or the other. I'm just a person who likes to be sure about things...it's difficult to convince you....even if we can prove whet we advance... Hence the reason I did take time to research mine and still do research on it, instead of taking the word of a friend, or the word of some goverment employee who could also care less.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-21-2005   #36
LrdNexus
F-Body Member

Allright one last time.

GTA wheels are GOLD, you know that color?

The BLACK wheels you have are factory trans am wheels, and I don't need to prove this because you can look it up easily enough on anyone one of hundreds of sites, Not to mention pontiac itself. Sheesh if your going to argue about something make it something not so easy to check.

Now before you insult your own intelligence to much more, try getting your facts straight. Your really not making your case any stronger by instulting and acting like you know everything, when clearly you know very little about Trans Ams much less GTA's. Normally that wouldn't be a bad things since most people come here to learn more about their cars. I bet you haven't even read the information on the GTA Homepage.

And it's not difficult to prove anything to me, the simple fact you haven't offered any evidence other than your word, your friends word, and some goverment employees words and some pictures.
None of that equates over into evidence except maybe the pictures but they tell a differant story to the one you are spinning. I might have been willing to at one time to do some ground work for you if you had wanted to clear up the few little problems. But your attitude stinks, and instead of wanting to clear it up you wanted to attack and smash the person who brought it up. Well sorry you can't hurt me, and trying to insult me only makes you look more the fool.
Old 09-22-2005   #37
yves_transam

[QUOTE=LrdNexus]Allright one last time.

GTA wheels are GOLD, you know that color? yes I don't need glasses

yes I know you can find black wheels on the WS6 package...Sorry but you made a mistake that's wrong......and it depens on the car's colour...on white GTA the wheels were black...
I know that mine are black...and I don't know why...that's what I'm seraching for...it's one of the 87 first car it was maybe an option...I don't know...

All I know is that it's a GTA...I repeat...
What I wanna know is why mine has some option or not and how rare are some options like red interior...
Someone tolds me there's a second buid sheet behind the dash

I'm going to look for it and I'll sent you...if it' seems to you that it can prove...

That you said about insults...that's not insult...just bad jokes...I love joking...
Old 09-22-2005   #38
nblanchard
GTA Member

Here's another interesting piece of info as well... if someone was trying to make a replica GTA.. why would they stop at the Gold Rims?? I dunno... Ijust think someone liked black better so they did it.

Old 09-22-2005   #39
yves_transam

I'don't know why they are black...but I told the first owner and he said that he had those when he bought the car...but he dosn't remind if he had orderded those wheels...or if they were like this....so they are genuine maybe he would like the black rims...
That's also strange...every part of my car (also the wheels) are graved by a serial number...it's yul.....and a some numbers after...
Old 09-22-2005   #40
yves_transam

I saw gta on the gta's owner on this site...and as you could see some of them (not so many...) have black rims...maybe when they bought their car they specially ordered it....there was a white...I have ever often ever seen with white exterior colour and also a red one...