Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-23-2002   #21
Chick Walter

ASC firebird convertibles

DWHess - What is the GM factory build date on your car?... I think you were speaking of the factory build date. Since you seem to have the latest ASC aftermarket conversion I've heard of, prior to the official Pontiac offerings in 91 and 92, I am interested in how late in 89 your car was made. Thanks. - Chick W.
Chick Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002   #22
tiger

I own a 89 GTA vert.The info on this page has been helpful.Thanks,its cleared up alot of questions.
tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002   #23
tiger

Its to bad that there was'nt better records on these car.On top of that with accurate production #'s,they should of been numbered too.The 89 TTA's were numbered,so why not the GTA verts.Its a very big question.
Old 11-25-2002   #24
Chick Walter

ASC Records

Quote:
Originally posted by tiger
Its to bad that there was'nt better records on these car.On top of that with accurate production #'s,they should of been numbered too.The 89 TTA's were numbered,so why not the GTA verts.Its a very big question.
The ASC printout I received in 1992 indicates that ASC probably could document the numbers and VIN numbers of aftermarket firebird convertibles. ASC is a very professional outfit, so I expect they have the complete records. GM and ASC would do well to acknowledge these convertibles and their aftermarket status, and give some documented numbers. The cars are a credit to both organizations. It is difficult to drive the car anywhere without getting positive attention from everyone from about 3 years old to 83 years old, and from all walks of life. People step to the street ot see it come by. I find people in pickup trucks, mercedes, and cadillacs hovering around the car. It is rolling artwork. It is driving entertainment. With the rear seat folded down it is my pickup truck for mulch, sod, furniture, etc. And it even provides regular transportation. And it depreciates very little.
Old 11-29-2002   #25
tiger

Well I'm glad that there are good records on these cars.I saw a 89 GTA Highway Pratrol car,I've never seen one before.I talked to the cops in the office.They use the car for perades now,I thought that was interesting.Ha thanks for the info. Tim
Old 12-14-2002   #26
tiger

Hi,I've heard of 87and 88 GTA verts.But from what I've red,the 89 was the only year that Pontiac had these cars converted.Is this true?
Old 12-14-2002   #27
Chick Walter

Quote:
Hi,I've heard of 87and 88 GTA verts.But from what I've red,the 89 was the only year that Pontiac had these cars converted.Is this true?
Pontiac sponsored/converted third generation convertibles only in 1991 and 1992. I have a 1989, and none of my literature on the convertible conversion lists GM or Pontiac, and our 1989 VINs show these cars were manufactured as coupes. If you review this forum and the other:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...hreadid=127330
you will find that there were even a few ASC aftermarket conversions of the 86s and 90s though they seem to be extremely rare. My 1989 is a dealer ordered conversion-between the dealer and ASC.
Old 12-15-2002   #28
CAR Motorsports

Re: Number of 89 firebird convertibles

Quote:
Originally posted by Chick Walter
Update on number of ASC firebird convertibles: Have gone back through my files from 1992 research... ASC reps. I spoke to recalled either 330 or 338 1989 convertibles, depending on who was talking. HOWEVER, in late 1992 I got in touch with an owner-since-new [Formula SLP package convert.] who had made progress documenting the 89s... He provided me a copy of “ASC TRANS-AM SALES ORDER LOG AS OF ...[morning of] 21 AUG 1989” that someone at ASC had provide him. This list shows 369 convertibles shipped to individual dealers [who are named], along with the last 6 digits of VIN#, and the ship dates. Earliest ship dates on list are 12/03/88. The fellow said this was an incomplete accounting of 1989s–was missing about 45-to-49 of the 1989s built [or built in ‘89?... as Hess noted he has a ‘90 that was built in 89]. These numbers are in the ball park of prior postings based on ASC reps’ recall, but are somewhat higher.
Do you know if any of the VINs on the list are the 89 Turbo Trans Ams. My partner owns the 1989 Pilot TTA convertible that Jeff Bitzel at PAS owned. It was originally a hardtop off the line that was sent to ASC for conversion by PAS. He also knows of another Turbo Trans Am convertible in a guy's car collection. Apparently, the dealer got it as a T-Top car, sent it to ASC for conversion and then had it re-invoiced as a convertible by Pontiac.

Alan
CAR Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002   #29
Chick Walter

The list has only the last 6 digits of the VINs which is I believe the production sequence number. I don't know VINs well enough to know if they indicate engines or specific Firebird models--if they do, I suspect that Pontiac or GM historical service could decipher the breakdown of 89s converted. There are two mystery cars on my list with no VIN nos. listed, and no dealer--rather they are listed as going to ASC Direct Sales. In addition there are two "miscellaneous" listings where the dealer would be listed, with VIN sequence nos. 213666 and 136760. What are the last six digits on the PAS car your buddy has? I knew of the Bitzel/PAS car through a 1990 Turbo mag. artilce.
Old 12-15-2002   #30
CAR Motorsports

Pics of TTA Convertible

Quote:
Originally posted by Chick Walter
The list has only the last 6 digits of the VINs which is I believe the production sequence number. I don't know VINs well enough to know if they indicate engines or specific Firebird models--if they do, I suspect that Pontiac or GM historical service could decipher the breakdown of 89s converted. There are two mystery cars on my list with no VIN nos. listed, and no dealer--rather they are listed as going to ASC Direct Sales. In addition there are two "miscellaneous" listings where the dealer would be listed, with VIN sequence nos. 213666 and 136760. What are the last six digits on the PAS car your buddy has? I knew of the Bitzel/PAS car through a 1990 Turbo mag. artilce.
I'll have to get the vin from him, but here is a link to pics of that TTA convertible that Bitzel owned. There also are pics of his 88 Burgundy Design Check Vehicle (the one used to test fitment of the Turbo motor) and the 88 Black Emissions Check Vehicle (the one used to pass emissions).

http://www.carmotorsports.com/richtta.htm

Alan
CAR Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002   #31
tiger

As the years go by we learn more about these cars,thats what makes them special.Maybe one day we'll get the full break down on these cars ie:break down on production #'s ect.Tim
Old 12-15-2002   #32
tiger

I've been reading alot of post's on the 87-89 GTA verts.I read a post about a guy from ASC,that has docs. on the 89 Verts.On the post he has the cars documented with the last 6 digits of the vin.How can I get into contact with this person.I own a 89 GTA vert and would like to give him my last 6digits of my vin.Maybe he'll give me more info on my car than I already have.Here's my vin#: 1G2FW218XKL253258 Thanks Tim
Old 12-16-2002   #33
Chick Walter

Quote:
I've been reading alot of post's on the 87-89 GTA verts.I read a post about a guy from ASC,that has docs. on the 89 Verts.On the post he has the cars documented with the last 6 digits of the vin.How can I get into contact with this person.I own a 89 GTA vert and would like to give him my last 6digits of my vin.Maybe he'll give me more info on my car than I already have.Here's my vin#: 1G2FW218XKL253258 Thanks Tim
YOur car was [one of four] listed as ordered by R.O. Evans - Pontiac, Special Order #9974. ASC's list shows a ship date or 6-12-89, and a "SCH-DATE" of 03-08-89, presumably when ASC scheduled its conversion work. Your is listed as having a black top. I am not with ASC, but was sent the list in 1992 by a fellow who had bought a formual convert. new and was trying to document the cars through ASC. --Chick Walter
Old 12-21-2002   #34
tiger

Thanks for the info.I know that the production #'s are in the ball park.Lets say that there were only 50 89 GTA verts. converted.Is there any way to see how many were black and how many were red?Or how many had black tops or tan tops?It would be nice to have all the owners of these cars come together on this site and give info on there cars ie: what color combonation it is and what options it has.It would give more of an accurate # on these cars.Is there any way I can get this information you have on these cars?Thanks Chick Tim
Old 12-23-2002   #35
dwhess504
GTA Member

My 1990 Gta is Black with black leather and a tan top.
dwhess504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002   #36
tiger

Is the date on the inside of the drivers door late 89.Example 7-89,10-89?If you cant read that,look at the label under the hood.The hood label will say if it's a 89 or 90.If it's a 90 model it's rarer than the 89's.Tim
Old 12-24-2002   #37
dwhess504
GTA Member

It's 11/89. do you have a 89 convert? What is the color combo.
dwhess504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002   #38
tiger

Yes I own a 89 GTA Vert.Its blk. paint,blk. top and tan leather inter.The car needs work,but I'm in the process of restoring the car.What color combo is your GTA?I've been trying to talk to people that know about these cars.I'm trying to get as much info that I can.As far as production #'s go,I've seen 33 and 50 for the 89 verts.Tell me about what you know about these cars,maybe you have more info than I do.Take MERRY X-MAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR. Tim
Old 07-10-2006   #39
okfoz

Re: ASC Convertible conversions

I know I am reviving an old thread,

I am interested in locating the list of ASC converted Firebirds in 1989 that Chick Walter is talking about, does anyone have information on this

Thanks

John
okfoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #40
tiger

Re: ASC Convertible conversions

I sold my GTA acouple of years ago but I have some info that you might find interesting.Just e-mail me and I can give you all the information that I have. gtaa9@yahoo.com