Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-17-2010   #1
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
T-Top Covers

Can anyone tell me about the T-Top covers on how they are packaged when the T-Tops are removed ? On my 89 GTA there are just the black bags, no zippers and no clamps mounted behind the rear seat for storage. On another GTA, I saw the full up zipper with straps tied to the clamps mounted behind the seat for storing them. I'm wondering what is the correct documentation or is this just a option either way that GM provided ?

Thanks in advance...
djmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #2
Wes

Re: T-Top Covers

Sounds like your car has aftermarket t-tops.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #3
djmarch

That doesn't make sense Wes...If I had aftermarket T-Tops, the strap brackets still should be mounted behind my rear seat...There are no mounting holes as if there were brackets at one time...
Old 03-18-2010   #4
TX_1987_GTA
GTA Owner

If they were aftermarket t-tops, there would not be any brackets on the floor to mount them from the factory. Show us some pucs of the t-tops and the framework where the t-tops mount and we can tell for sure.

They may be C&C T-Tops

Top of Texas Trans Am Club of Amarillo ( 2010 President )
http://www.transamclubofamarillo.com/

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1987 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. ( 90000 miles )
1989 GTA/TTA, 20th Anniversary, Indy Pace Car, #402 ( 35000 miles )

1989 Formula T-Top 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
1991 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
2000 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 Auto " The EX got it! "
2002 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 6 Speed ( 13700 miles ) " SOLD "
TX_1987_GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #5
TX_1987_GTA
GTA Owner

Here are how they mount on my TTA

1981 Turbo Trans Am

Last edited by TX_1987_GTA; 03-18-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2010   #6
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarch View Post
That doesn't make sense Wes...If I had aftermarket T-Tops, the strap brackets still should be mounted behind my rear seat...There are no mounting holes as if there were brackets at one time...
All cars did not come with mounting brackets. Only cars with factory t-tops would have them. If you do not have the brackets or any sign that they were once there, your car does not have factory t-tops. I don't think C&C or any other aftermarket company included some kind of mounting brackets as part of their installation.
Old 03-19-2010   #7
djmarch

Ok then, what did GM do then when they shipped these vehicles to the dealers ?
Did they just keep the tops open and when they arrived the dealers installed them ? Factory T-Tops would have been installed on the vehicle rolling off the line. Doesn't necessary mean the brackets were installed. Believe me, I've worked on an assembly line. My trade is a Manufacturing Engineer. When that vehicle rolled down your station, I can verify alot of parts were switched, ie Formula, GTA etc. if they came up short. In other words the assembly line did not stoped. They could have been tossed in the cargo compartment..Could have been done by the dealerships. I hear what you are saying guys, but trying to put 2+2, but not coming up with 4 yet. Trying to understand GM's assembly process here. I know GM replaced their T-Tops in 89 with plexan glass. Could have been alot to do with it right there.
Old 03-19-2010   #8
Wes

Quote:
Ok then, what did GM do then when they shipped these vehicles to the dealers ?
Did they just keep the tops open and when they arrived the dealers installed them ? Factory T-Tops would have been installed on the vehicle rolling off the line. Doesn't necessary mean the brackets were installed. Believe me, I've worked on an assembly line. My trade is a Manufacturing Engineer. When that vehicle rolled down your station, I can verify alot of parts were switched, ie Formula, GTA etc. if they came up short. In other words the assembly line did not stoped. They could have been tossed in the cargo compartment..Could have been done by the dealerships. I hear what you are saying guys, but trying to put 2+2, but not coming up with 4 yet. Trying to understand GM's assembly process here. I know GM replaced their T-Tops in 89 with plexan glass. Could have been alot to do with it right there.
I bought a new T/A in 87 with t-tops from the factory. The brackets were mounted in the car when it arrived at the dealer and the car obviously was shipped from the factory with the t-tops on the car. They wouldnt be shipped with the roof open for obvious reasons. In the hatch area were the floor mats, sunshades and t-top storage bag each in ther factory packaging.
I also shopped dealers for almost a year before finally buying mine. Every T/A I looked at that had t-tops, had the brackets in it as the car sat on the lot and before it was prepped by the dealer. Had the brackets been just tossed in the back for the dealer to install (like floor mats), they would have been installed during the prep process after the car was sold.
Does your car have the SPID sticker inside the center console? If its there, a quick check for RPO code CC1 would tell you if you have factory t-tops.
Old 03-19-2010   #9
djmarch

Ok Guys...Help me out here...How do I post jpeg files..It keeps asking me for a url/:
Old 03-19-2010   #10
djmarch

No..there's definately no provisions for the brackets. TX pics just came across where they didn't before for some reason. There are no cut outs in the rear plastic panel on each side of the pull down. I must have aftermarket T-Tops. I was thinking all 4 brackets mounted to the floor behind the rear seats. If that was the case then I was thinking the dealer or factory didn't put them on. So what did GM do then. These must have been delivered to the factory. When I bought this car it no bags..My vehicle must have the change over that GM did going to the plexan. What site can I go to enter the VIN #. Will that even tell me everything ?

Thanks board for your input
Old 03-19-2010   #11
djmarch

The reason for starting this thread...Been looking for T-Top Bags and thought...Wait a minute....I need the strap brackets too...Can't believe GM mounted them clear to the back panel...Seems like would be obstruction to laying anything in that deep pocket...Anyway that solves that..Thanks Wes and TX
Old 03-19-2010   #12
EODsmitty

I got the same setup in my 89 as the pictures above. Could the rear plastic piece been replaced with a non bracket one? That would be the simplest answer. As for the bag, we all know that they wear out. Maybe the privios owner just bought a "universal bag" or something. The easy way to solve this puzzel would be an invoice or SPID sticker to figure this out. If i was a betting man I say that the rear plastic was replaced and the previous owner got a replacement bag. The OEM style are expensive. Thats my 2 cents worth!

Oh, thank god its friday. I need a beer or 6.

Smitty
Old 03-19-2010   #13
Wes

Quote:
No..there's definately no provisions for the brackets. TX pics just came across where they didn't before for some reason. There are no cut outs in the rear plastic panel on each side of the pull down. I must have aftermarket T-Tops. I was thinking all 4 brackets mounted to the floor behind the rear seats. If that was the case then I was thinking the dealer or factory didn't put them on. So what did GM do then. These must have been delivered to the factory. When I bought this car it no bags..My vehicle must have the change over that GM did going to the plexan. What site can I go to enter the VIN #. Will that even tell me everything ?

Thanks board for your input
If there are no provisions either in the rear plastic panel or in the carpeted area behind the rear seats, then you more than likely have aftermarket or dealer installed GM t-tops. Sure the rear panel could have been replaced with one without cutouts but, the other mounting points should still be there unless the brackets were removed and the carpet was replaced. The question I would ask is why someone would remove the mounting points and eliminate the storage for the tops? Doesnt really make sense.
Even if your car originally had the Lexan factory tops, it would still have the mounting points for the bag.

C&C were the most popular aftermarket t-tops. If you have these, they will say C&C right on them. GM t-tops will not fit in a car that had C&C tops installed because they are different sizes. If you have aftermarket t-tops, you would also have some sort of plastic trim on the rear edge of the opening to cover where the roof was cut. You can see the trim in the pic of the C&C catalog in this thread.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/bo...c-c-t-top.html

Have you looked for the SPID sticker in the console?

Last edited by Wes; 03-19-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2010   #14
Ozzy88GTA
Old Timer

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic

Quote:
Ok Guys...Help me out here...How do I post jpeg files..It keeps asking me for a url/:
Register an account in Photobucket, Flickr, or any photo website and upload your pictures.
Then use the URL from the picture you want to use here.
Ozzy88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #15
Wes

Quote:
Can't believe GM mounted them clear to the back panel...Seems like would be obstruction to laying anything in that deep pocket...Anyway that solves that..Thanks Wes and TX
Yes, the straps do interfere with putting any big items in the well. Its the price we pay for open air motoring.
Old 03-20-2010   #16
djmarch

Last edited by djmarch; 03-20-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2010   #17
djmarch

Last edited by djmarch; 03-20-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2010   #18
djmarch

Old 03-20-2010   #19
TX_1987_GTA
GTA Owner

That my friend appears to be an aftermarket t-top to me....

1981 Turbo Trans Am

Old 03-23-2010   #20
mr.turbota
Trans Am collector

Glass T-Tops were used all the way up to 1992.
Yes, Pontiac tried to use lexan tops, but they had problems, with the recall fix being converting back to glass.
As for your tops, look at the glass near the end where it meets your door glass, while attached to the car.
Most T-Top aftermarket companies had their name etched onto the glass.
I would think yours are C&C as well.
Many cars would sit on the deealership lot for weeks, with hardtops being most of them.
People would state too bad it isn't a T-Top car.
So, the dealership would send the car out to be converted.
Happened alot more than people would think.
Most major cities had places that could do the work, sourced out by places like C&C.
On my 1972 second gen Firebird, I had a place called Pacific T-Tops (in SoCal) install Hurst T-Tops in my car.
I had this done in 1977.
Too bad I sold the car.
I sure wish I had it.

Hope this helps,

George

Go for the top of the food chain, and run wild!

1989 20th Anniv. Turbo Trans Am #231 (autographed by Emerson Fittapaldi in gold, winner of the 1989 Indy 500, on my dash panel glove pocket)

Featured in:

Books:
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 1969-1999 Photo Album
Pontiac Firebird 1967-2000 Photo History
Firebird Trans Am by David Newhardt

Magazines:
Smoke Signals Sept 1993
Car Craft March 2000
mr.turbota is offline   Reply With Quote