Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-24-2011   #1
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Is your Diff black?

My rear diff is black. I recently saw a extreme low mile IROC that was silver (non painted) and wonder those with 88 GTAs are your diffs black or was mine painted by prev owner?
Old 08-25-2011   #2
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Re: Is your Diff black?

My GTA is 1987 but I would say that they were all painted black at the factory because when my GTA was brand new, it was painted black color.

Yumiko
Old 08-27-2011   #3
8289ta

I have a TTA - with 9 bolt rear and it is black
8289ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #4
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Ok..thx guys! I read irocs diffs were not painted
Old 08-27-2011   #5
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

most of them from what i remember came from the factory just cast or no paint, where they get black is most of the time the dealership will undercoat or paint under the car
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #6
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

The differential on my GTA was painted black before it was put on. Because it was painted too good to be painted while it is in my GTA. No over spray or unevenly painted anywhere on it. Sure the dealership in the areas where it snows did undercoats the cars. But there is a large difference between the material that they use for undercoatings compared to painting.

I was looking at a Ford Mustang that was new at the dealership a few years ago. I was with someone who was the one that wanted to just looking at it there. So I looked and noticed that the differentials on the new Mustangs are not painted. I thought that it was cheap for the dealership to not paint that part, because it will rust badly when it is just exposed metal.

Maybe that is how they do it to the new cars now, but for sure I have never ever seen a differential in a GTA or other type of Firebird, Trans Am or Formula that was not painted black. Not one time ever.

Yumiko
Old 08-29-2011   #7
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
The differential on my GTA was painted black before it was put on. Because it was painted too good to be painted while it is in my GTA. No over spray or unevenly painted anywhere on it. Sure the dealership in the areas where it snows did undercoats the cars. But there is a large difference between the material that they use for undercoatings compared to painting.

I was looking at a Ford Mustang that was new at the dealership a few years ago. I was with someone who was the one that wanted to just looking at it there. So I looked and noticed that the differentials on the new Mustangs are not painted. I thought that it was cheap for the dealership to not paint that part, because it will rust badly when it is just exposed metal.

Maybe that is how they do it to the new cars now, but for sure I have never ever seen a differential in a GTA or other type of Firebird, Trans Am or Formula that was not painted black. Not one time ever.

Yumiko
Good info Yumiko!
You are very verbose. I like that
Old 08-29-2011   #8
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Might be the regals and gbodys im thinking about then, I undercoated so many of the cars back in the day!!!
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #9
TTOP350

The 9bolts got painted because they came from aussie land and needed some kind of rustproofing from the saltwater. Paint is cheap.
The 10 bolts didnt get painted.
I did change gears in a 02 camaro that had the 10bolt rear powder coated from the factory. weird
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote