Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-29-2008   #1
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom
Unhappy Vader is sick...

About three weeks ago I ran into a little problem while I was out cruising with some friends before I left to go out on business to Oklahoma. Long story short...basically what happened was a rocker stud broke on the number five cylinder. Yeah...big trouble. So I had the car towed home at a whopping cost of $241.00. Ouch.

So, the car sat for the two weeks I was away and the week I've been back just waiting for me to have a day off to get the car to Charlotte where the motor and work was done. The motor was installed by Zeus Performance (who was recently in Hot Rod with the '94 IRS equipped Forumla ). Good group of guys. Anyway, back to the story...

Today was my first day off since being home that I could get it to them. After the large towing bill we signed up with AAA and now get 200-miles free towing. That came in very handy today at 105-miles from my house. We get on the road around 8:30ish and arrive at the shop around 11:30ish. Not too bad considering they towed it there using a dolley wrecker instead of the rollback that I had requested. That's another story...

They immediately go to work on it thinking it's going to be an easy fix. Replace the rocker stud and re-adjust the rockers. Peice of cake...yeah...right. They get to digging in the heads and find the problem. One of my lifters disenegrated. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?! How does this happen? How does a lifter just break apart and disenegrate like that? The "hardened" pushrod for the exhaust valve bent and broke and the pushrod for the intake valve fell down into the valley. Luckily the bottom half of the lifter didn't break apart or I would have been out an entire motor instead of only a set of lifter and a couple of pushrods.

So, now my car is sitting in there shop for a new set of lifters. I had originally had a set of Comp 850s in there. I sure as hell aren't going with another set after that happened. From the looks of the lifter and condition of the intake valve lifter (which the retaining clip was beginning to break on), I got a hold of a bad batch. Time for an UPGRADE! The owner of the shop and I started to dismantle the top half of my motor once he saw that. It was fun wrenching on my car, but I wish that it had been under better circumstances...

We've already discussed some options for new lifters and Comp is not on the list. From the discussion we've decided on which type of lifter we're going to put in and the car will be better than ever with the addition of another possible upgrade going on while it's in their care along with another tune to compensate for the upgrade. More to come once it's back in my possession. For now and for the next month my car will be staying with the fellas at Zeus while I'm down in Savannah. So, I'll be getting my car back just in time for F-Body Beach Week at Myrtle Beach.

Sorry for the long post....

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #2
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Vader is sick...

Sorry to hear about the car troubles. I will say this that is exactly why I always use non hardened push rods b/c its easier and cheaper to replace them than it is that lifter. Oh and on the lifters you may wanna look at a set of Iskys. Alot of racers use them. BUT, they are quite $$$$$$$$$.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

CRAP! That's terrible news.... since I don't drive my cars much these days, I'm somewhat out of touch with you guys who do so. Hope you get that issue resolved and get back on the road ASAP.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #4
strc09

Thanks fellas. It was a shock to me to find out that a lifter just disenegrated like that. Especially a good brand lifter and not a cheapy one either. Comp 850s...not so good. At least that's my opinion after this ordeal. The shop owner and I have talked about what we're going to go with as far as a replacement style lifter. As of right now, I'm only out the cost of the lifters. He's covering everything else. That's a good thing. Now my only choice is whether or not I want to upgrade so other stuff while I'm at it. Decisions, decisions.

Old 05-31-2008   #5
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987

i went one of those low cost comp cams pushrods that are suppose to be better then oem and hardened. i broke the damn thing in 3 days. i put a set of stock pushrods in with who knows how many miles and they've been fine since, 6500 rpm all day long.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #6
strc09

Yeah...hardened push rods...right. LOL! That's probably what caused my rocker stud to break. All I'll say at this time is that I'm going with a GM lifter instead of Comp again.

Old 06-01-2008   #7
merc3065

Im using Crane valve train parts in mine. no problems yet with em. The crane lifter set is an OEM replacement hydraulic set.
Old 06-02-2008   #8
Louvers

That sucks Patrick .... It seems like you just got Vader back home.
Louvers is offline   Reply With Quote