Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-12-2002   #1
88GTANotchback
GTA Member

How much for a paint job?

Iwas just drooling at how nice my car could look in a jet black like frankies, rather then burgundy. So i was wondering if any of you guys would know how much (roughly) it would cost to get a paint job like his. Thanks for any help.
88GTANotchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Oooo, no drooling, please. We strive here to maintain a body fluid-free site here. But thanks for the compliment....

An allover paint job entails a bit more painting.... but a lot more prep work under the hood and around all the pertinent body panel edges if you want to create the "illusion" that your car is a different color that the one it was when it was built.

Prep work = more $$$$$

My friend who does my work for me recently painted a Mazda RX7 in this manner and the total ran over $4K for a complete color change. The material costs were around $1300, so that leaves the balance of $2700 to represent the prep and labor work. I saw the car and there was no place that you could ever tell that it was a different color.

They stripped the engine compartment down completely, removed all the trim around any openings and lapped the color over at least six inches around any interior panel seams. In other words, a top quality job.

Naturally, the area you live in will dictate to some degree the cost in labor. I live in a somewhat rural area, and the labor costs are a bit less than a lot of other places. But this will give you something to base your own estimates on, anyway. Good luck!

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002   #3
brandon87gta
GTA Member

I agree with Frankie in a paint job, all $ is in the prep work. My father painted his 1969 Plymouth Satellite/Road Runner two years ago. He did all the prep work himself (sanding ect...) it only cost him just under $1500 for paint work (2-3 coats of color and 2-3 of clear).

Now if I ever go to get the GN painted , I will probably be looking at $4000-$6000. This is because it is a black car. The hardest to prep. Everything has to be straight, cause when the paint's on and there is a wave in the black you will be like .

Brandon
brandon87gta is offline   Reply With Quote