Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 10-06-2005   #1
dougdez
execute order 66

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Cool digital dash - shift light

as the proud owner of a 88 gta(automatic) ,,,with the digital dash, i'm curious if anyone has ever tried to fix the shift light where it would stay on (ligthed) ,,instead of looking at that blank box all the time . perhaps even connect it to a switch ,at least you could turn it on and off from time to time . does anyone know how this can be done without the complete removal of the dash itself ?
dougdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #2
ken

Re: digital dash - shift light

I also am a proud owner of an 88 auto with digital dash, and mine doesn't light up either. However, I just picked it up a couple weeks ago so I'm trying to eliminate other problem areas first. Unfortunately mine doesn't light up either but if I ever get around to fixing it, I will let you know. I do have a fair amount of experience with the 12 volt system, and I can't see it being that difficult.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #3
nblanchard
GTA Member

that shift light is only for manual cars to tell them to shift... unfortunately, GM cut corners and didn't offer a different display for the autos... only thing you may be able to do is run a shift light circuit like the aftermarket tachs, and hook it up to the shift light ont he digital dash.. but it's useless unless you have a manual valve body in your car.

225.5hp @ 4250rpm (at the wheels)
325.8ft-lbs @ 3250rpm (at the wheels)
nblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #4
dougdez
execute order 66

thks guy's ,,, but i'm sure someone else is like me and tired of looking at that darn blank spot at night. i believe there has to be a simple way to make this "shift " light ,,actually light up, that's all .,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, curious ????????????????
Old 10-16-2005   #5
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Dude, honestly, I'd just ignore it if I were you. Too much trouble and headache to get it working. You'd have to find the shift light wiring from a 305 5-speed car and splice it in to work with your dash, and then it would be a pain in the ass to get it to light up at the right time or to get it to work right at all. Not to mention you;d have to carefully examine the wiring diagrams for the dash. I have the analog dash on my car and it also has that blank spot for the shift light. Concentrate on making the car faster. That will definitely take your mind off the light.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #6
nblanchard
GTA Member

I honestly don't even notice it anymore... not really a big deal

Old 10-16-2005   #7
twobirds
Mile High Thirdgens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblanchard
I honestly don't even notice it anymore... not really a big deal
Same here.
twobirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #8
FieroGTA

What would be nice in that square for the automatics is...

Have it display what gear you are in. (1 2 3 4)

That would be nice.
FieroGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #9
TripleTransAm
V8s and Flaming Birds for everyone!

Would be nice, but with the stock GM shift schedules, it would pretty much read "4" most of the time!
'78 T/A
2006 Dodge Daytona R/T
TripleTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #10
nblanchard
GTA Member

lol... this is true... makes for good city mileage

Old 10-18-2005   #11
TripleTransAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblanchard
lol... this is true... makes for good city mileage

When I lived on the South Shore of Montreal, I used to show off to whoever I was driving with by having my GTA climb a fairly steep-slope bridge over the St.Laurent river at 58-60 kph in 4th gear with the TCC locked up. I'd need to keep the throttle pressure really light to avoid a downshift or the unlocking of the TCC, which made it even more impressive: climbing a grade in 4th at 900 RPM or so with barely any pressure on the pedal.

TPI Torque!!!!!!!

Note to US members: 58 kph is about 36 mph.
'78 T/A
2006 Dodge Daytona R/T
Old 10-18-2005   #12
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
When I lived on the South Shore of Montreal, I used to show off to whoever I was driving with by having my GTA climb a fairly steep-slope bridge over the St.Laurent river at 58-60 kph in 4th gear with the TCC locked up. I'd need to keep the throttle pressure really light to avoid a downshift or the unlocking of the TCC, which made it even more impressive: climbing a grade in 4th at 900 RPM or so with barely any pressure on the pedal.

TPI Torque!!!!!!!

Note to US members: 58 kph is about 36 mph.

Hehe, yeah, that's cool when we can do that. reminds me when I was a freshman in college. My friend had just gotten his new car. A 95 Celica with a 4-cylinder engine. So, one day we were in my friend's Celica going to a restaurant near school that had a steep hill a long the way. With 4 of us in the car, He had to shift his automatic down to 1st gear and floor it all the way to the top of the hill.

The next week we took my car. So 4 of us in the GTA. As we approached the hill, my friend said "you should shift down to 1st gear right about now." I just said "Nah, watch this..." had the car in 4th gear with me barely stepping on the pedal climbing the hill at 40 MPH and ACCELERATING with 4 people in my car. Pretty funny. I love torque.

Old 10-18-2005   #13
nblanchard
GTA Member

you know what they say eh? TPI, the best truck engine ever made

Old 10-19-2005   #14
TripleTransAm

Great story.

By the time I bought my GTA, I had logged a lot of seat time in a 1985 Parisienne (Canadian-spec LG4, THM700-R4, 2.9x open diff ratio if I recall). As much as I liked the way the Canadian-spec 305 4 Bbl got that fat pig up to 60 mph (informal stopwatch results were always in the mid-to-high 9 second range), overdrive was pretty much a 'cruise-only' range. That meant keeping the tranny in 'D' for all driving situations except for when I'd hit the highway, then I'd pop it into 'OD' when I reached 95 kph or so (just short of 60 mph). When in 4th gear, there was NO throttle response whatsoever. I could go as far as just before a forced downshift and get NO acceleration... the only witness to my dramatic pedal travel would be the Fuel Economy gage dipping all the way to MIN. In fact, I would sometimes fool around by pumping the pedal in 4th at 60 mph and having my passengers laugh at the Fuel Economy needle flipping back and forth, without the car so much as feeling any change in speed.

So now here comes the GTA...
old habits die hard, so I'd keep it in 3rd a bit longer until I reached a steady speed in urban highway traffic, say... 50 mph. So I'd slide the shifter into 'OD', expecting only a drop in RPM.

Surprise: with no change in pedal pressure, the car would BEGIN to accelerate once again as it shifted to 4th!! This REALLY caught me by surprise. I thought it was so cool to be able to reach steady speed in 3rd with a minute amount of throttle opening and then grab 4th and see the engine pull right back up with no change in throttle position!

Eventually, my habits changed such that I now move the shifter into 'OD' anywhere above 35 mph or so, and let it shift into 4th when it wants. I still keep it in 'D' below that, since I feel the firmer shifts might reduce tranny wear. Plus, I enjoy the increased engine braking that I get in 'D' vs. 'OD' due to the added overrun clutch application in 3rd gear.
'78 T/A
2006 Dodge Daytona R/T
Old 10-20-2005   #15
dougdez
execute order 66

ok,,,so it's silly ,,but i believe i can make this work ,,,just by finding the right wire . i don't want it to work the way the manual works ,,just light up and still on ,,would be better than that blank,,,,lol,,,oh yeah another mod i made was i cut the lower part of the switch panel off of the right side trim ,,with the trunk,rear defrost and gain switches and attached the 91-92 style switches ,,i think it's pretty cool,,,,,,,,,douglas
Old 10-20-2005   #16
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Hey doug, the mod with the switches is good. I always thought the updated layout was a little nicer than the older layout. Just a word of advice. be very CAREFUL when you work on your digidash. There aren't many replacements out there and these things are prone to break f not cared for properly.

Old 04-28-2006   #17
dougdez
execute order 66

update ! i have a spare digital dash now and how figured out how to make the shift light work . just a matter of doing this mod to my gta .
Old 05-02-2006   #18
dougdez
execute order 66

has anyone ever seen the 1st version of the digital dash, which has a little different style tach & no shift light in the upper left corner?
Old 05-03-2006   #19
WestOzGTA

My service manual shows that the wire going to the cluster for the shift indicator is tan/black, circuit 422.

On the autos, tan/black (422) is used by the ECM for the TCC engagement. I haven't checked, but I doubt that wire also goes to the connector! I expect the connector just has a blank hole there, so if you want to wire things up without doing any major mods to your cluster you'd be best off getting a small clip that will fit in there.

But.... why bother? What are you going to use it for?
WestOzGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #20
dougdez
execute order 66

what exactly is the - TCC ENGAGEMENT ?