Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008   #41
Josh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 318


Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

yeah you have some valid points there GTA50...that's one thing i'm concerned with is the cost to get it really nice again. I could make the car all nice but then after that the engine or tranny could go and there we go again with money out the window. I will never get the money I put into it back not that I expected it. I'm starting to change my mind again lol and think that selling it in the spring is for the better. Just because for the money i've put into the car (over $5500)....I could get an already nice GTA, with lower miles and a nice paint job instead of wasting my money on fixing mine. So i'm thinking go with my dream car, a C5 Corvette then later on buy a nice GTA down in the states. Who knows things could change in the spring but i'll probably still feel this way just cause I want a low mileage already in nice condition GTA instead of putting money into mine and fixing it up when I could sell my GTA and buy a nicer GTA and have money left over . Thanks for reading, Josh
__________________
*I'm also known as "90BlackGTA" over at ThirdGen.Org*
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #42
Josh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 318


Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

I will admit that i'm starting to realize that last year I was one of those people who rushed into buying a car cause its something I really wanted at the time. Now I regret it because if I waited and was more knowledgeable I could of got a really nice one for cheaper than I paid. ( I paid $7000!) Oh well, live and learn I suppose...at least now I know for next time I buy a car!
__________________
*I'm also known as "90BlackGTA" over at ThirdGen.Org*
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #43
brooklyngta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: cleveland oh
Posts: 78


Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

i agree with gta50.i think you should go with your latter plan of and then fix it.one reason why i say this is because it will cost you a lot more later if you sold it and wanted another one like yours.i imagine it would be difficult to find one and if you did,it would be a hefty price tag.you really have a nice car as is in my opinion.part of why i love my car is because all of the small repairs i do myself so the "labor of love factor" comes into play.as far as the miles.fearthis' gta has over 280k miles and that is a lot more than what you have in kms.as long as it's running good,i wouldn't worry about the miles on it.i personally have had a few 305 trans ams that have had 250-275k miles on them but after the familiar puff of smoke on start up,they all ran good.i always change my oil regularly and do my own tune ups.either way,i understand your dilemma and wish you luck.i know that its always easier to go after what you want when you have the burden of that car payment gone.
brooklyngta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #44
Josh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 318


Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

Hey everyone been awhile...anyway just an update...I decided to...wait for it....wait for it........................................keep my car! As most you know i've been wanting a C5 and still do but i'm gonna put that off till next spring when I have more money for one and instead this year i'm gonna fix up my car...new paint, exhaust, spoiler, brakes redone, t-top weatherstripping, sub-frame connectors, re-do or get new seats, refinish the interior plastics which are scratched, window tint, new emblems, etc etc and maybe some more power ...i've come to realize that all in all I would regret selling the car and in the end I want both the GTA and a C5...I want to get the GTA PERFECT and then in the spring get a C5 and have the best of both worlds...anyways thought I would let you all know and thanks for your opinions last year lol...Josh
__________________
*I'm also known as "90BlackGTA" over at ThirdGen.Org*
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #45
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"
 
FearThisGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In front of you....
Posts: 4,742



GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

Cool, glad to hear it.
__________________


Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #46
Louvers
Registered User
 
Louvers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,443


Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

Josh ... you're more fickle than I am man!
Louvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #47
Geeb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17


Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

Josh,
Man do I feel you on your situation. In one way or another it's been my situation since I bought my first car, a '69 Lemans, 22 years ago. Spending every penny I've got for a "dream car" that lands me in the cab of a tow truck. Not much has changed for me since the acquistion of my GTA. I've dropped 5 grand on a lawn (service station) ornament. I bought the car back in 2006, and while I do not have your repair bills, I also do not have a legal running car.

In most cases my GTA would have been parted out a long time ago. I've seen it happen to nicer cars right here on this site. One thing that keeps me going, like you, is the rarity of my GTA. Mine is one of eight hundred or so with the 5 Speed in 1988 and to see that die would be a shame. I'm not the best candidate for bringing this car back to life, but I know I'm the only thing standing between it and a cutting torch. The temptation to start over agin with a slightly less crappy 3rd Gen (or dare I say Mustang?) for 2-3 K is high and I'm not sure I can resist it.

One bit of advice I can provide that you already seem to be hip to with your mention of a "winter car" is this: Don't depend on your hobby car as everyday transportation. With your financial situation, you spent a lot already and may not have more to spend, but you can find the right car as a driver. Mine was a 1997 Hyundai wagon for $2400 back in 2003. I would reccomend a Honda or Toyota, something with front wheel drive that will get you around in that Canadian snow. We've gotten over 300K miles out of a pair of Corollas over the past 15 years. Well good luck, and I'll keep you (and the rest of the gang) updated on my own tales of GFA ownership, Geeb
Geeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #48
Josh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 318


Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeb
Josh,
Man do I feel you on your situation. In one way or another it's been my situation since I bought my first car, a '69 Lemans, 22 years ago. Spending every penny I've got for a "dream car" that lands me in the cab of a tow truck. Not much has changed for me since the acquistion of my GTA. I've dropped 5 grand on a lawn (service station) ornament. I bought the car back in 2006, and while I do not have your repair bills, I also do not have a legal running car.

In most cases my GTA would have been parted out a long time ago. I've seen it happen to nicer cars right here on this site. One thing that keeps me going, like you, is the rarity of my GTA. Mine is one of eight hundred or so with the 5 Speed in 1988 and to see that die would be a shame. I'm not the best candidate for bringing this car back to life, but I know I'm the only thing standing between it and a cutting torch. The temptation to start over agin with a slightly less crappy 3rd Gen (or dare I say Mustang?) for 2-3 K is high and I'm not sure I can resist it.

One bit of advice I can provide that you already seem to be hip to with your mention of a "winter car" is this: Don't depend on your hobby car as everyday transportation. With your financial situation, you spent a lot already and may not have more to spend, but you can find the right car as a driver. Mine was a 1997 Hyundai wagon for $2400 back in 2003. I would reccomend a Honda or Toyota, something with front wheel drive that will get you around in that Canadian snow. We've gotten over 300K miles out of a pair of Corollas over the past 15 years. Well good luck, and I'll keep you (and the rest of the gang) updated on my own tales of GFA ownership, Geeb
Thanks for the concern but theres no need to worry I decided to keep the car and in the spring,summer,early fall its my daily driver. In the winter I have a 4x4 Chevy Blazer that gets me through. I plan to get new paint, spoiler, exhaust, etc for the GTA now too. I will never drive a honda or hyundai lol, life is too short to be all conservative...I choose to drive the GTA and have fun. Yeah the rarity is nice thing too...being a low production 1990....its one of 259 that were built for canada and a portion of those being black exterior with tan interior (1in93).
__________________
*I'm also known as "90BlackGTA" over at ThirdGen.Org*
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009   #49
Geeb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17


Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
Thanks for the concern but theres no need to worry I decided to keep the car and in the spring,summer,early fall its my daily driver. In the winter I have a 4x4 Chevy Blazer that gets me through. I plan to get new paint, spoiler, exhaust, etc for the GTA now too. I will never drive a honda or hyundai lol, life is too short to be all conservative...I choose to drive the GTA and have fun. Yeah the rarity is nice thing too...being a low production 1990....its one of 259 that were built for canada and a portion of those being black exterior with tan interior (1in93).
Almost 39 years old, Married with two kids, living in the suburbs, and shuttling my daughter to soccer games after church...I guess "conservative" is a tag that would be hard for me to avoid. My GTA, an extensive collection of Heavy Metal CDs, a handful of concert shirts, and a couple of ear piercingd that have never quite grown over are the only vestiges of a different life 20 years earlier.

The cool thing about this site is that we have the common bond of GTA love/ownership...and sometimes that's it. With my 400 plus mile weekly commute, using a collector car for it would be kind of sad, like playing basketball in a tuxedo. I wish my GTA could make the occasional trip down to Wilmington now that spring and summer are here, but I wouldn't wish that trip on my GTA everyday. That commute is why the 2002 Corolla now has more miles on it, 149K than the GTA, 139K.

Hopefully you are able to do just enough miles on your GTA to have fun with it and not enough to drive it to its demise. Especially with the price of gas. Already with the Memorial day spike, I paid $1.50 more to put gas in the Corolla's tiny tank. If gas takes another run up, you might be hating life with the choice of two vehicles that get mileage in the single digits. Well, enjoy the summer and drop by here often, Geeb
Geeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009   #50
Josh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 318


Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeb
Almost 39 years old, Married with two kids, living in the suburbs, and shuttling my daughter to soccer games after church...I guess "conservative" is a tag that would be hard for me to avoid. My GTA, an extensive collection of Heavy Metal CDs, a handful of concert shirts, and a couple of ear piercingd that have never quite grown over are the only vestiges of a different life 20 years earlier.

The cool thing about this site is that we have the common bond of GTA love/ownership...and sometimes that's it. With my 400 plus mile weekly commute, using a collector car for it would be kind of sad, like playing basketball in a tuxedo. I wish my GTA could make the occasional trip down to Wilmington now that spring and summer are here, but I wouldn't wish that trip on my GTA everyday. That commute is why the 2002 Corolla now has more miles on it, 149K than the GTA, 139K.

Hopefully you are able to do just enough miles on your GTA to have fun with it and not enough to drive it to its demise. Especially with the price of gas. Already with the Memorial day spike, I paid $1.50 more to put gas in the Corolla's tiny tank. If gas takes another run up, you might be hating life with the choice of two vehicles that get mileage in the single digits. Well, enjoy the summer and drop by here often, Geeb
yeah no worries I live in a small city called Regina with a population of about 200,000. So commuting anywhere isn't too long or far thankfully. Gas on the GTA is actually surprisingly good...about 24 highway and 17ish city depending how you drive. My car has about 171,000km's (165 when I bought it) but the engine, rear differential, etc have all been rebuilt so I hope to have many more miles of smiles. Anyway have a good day
__________________
*I'm also known as "90BlackGTA" over at ThirdGen.Org*
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You might be a GTA enthusiast if ..... Louvers GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA) 11 07-12-2008 10:49 PM
Selling My 1988 GTA 5.7 As Seen In HPP nblanchard GTA CARS FOR SALE 3 07-21-2006 06:08 PM
87 GTA ,what do you think would be the selling price? DA BRONX GTA NON-TECH 4 01-12-2003 07:43 PM
Thinking of selling my 89 GTA - worth??? SuperDutyDave GTA NON-TECH 36 07-31-2002 12:07 AM
I'M SELLING MY STOCK 88 GTA HOOD! REMOVED USER GTA TECH 0 06-11-2001 11:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.