Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-27-2011   #1
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Just got a little something for my GTA

Just picked up some edlebrock headers and y pipe for 200 bucks. They are emissions compliant with air tubes and everything. All I have to do is sand them down, clean them off and out, then paint them again and they will be really nice!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #2
EODsmitty

GTA Year: 1989
Re: Just got a little something for my GTA

Sweet!

Smitty
Old 04-27-2011   #3
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

How hard is it going to be to install? I have a couple people who can help me but im just making sure we can install these at my house and not get half way through and have to quit. What does the install of these headers entail? Is it super difficult like everyone says? Thanks

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 04-27-2011   #4
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
How hard is it going to be to install? I have a couple people who can help me but im just making sure we can install these at my house and not get half way through and have to quit. What does the install of these headers entail? Is it super difficult like everyone says? Thanks
Not too bad at all...Removing the old bolts from the exhaust manifold will be the tuffest. I just installed Dyno Don's on mine awhile back. I would recommend having yours sand blasted. Ceramic coated would look nice as well depending on your budget, otherwise they have some good hi-temp paint at your local parts store, (2,000 degrees). They will drop right in from the top. I would also recommend getting (2) 3/8-16 grade 8 X 3"-4" long threaded studs,(depending on the lengths you need). One for your alternator support bracket and the other for your AC compressor support bracket. Get a couple of feet of fire resistant cloth tube to protect your sensor wires. The coolant fan sensor wire on the passengers side and the coolant temp gauge sensor wire on the driver's side. You need to check your spark plug boots. I had to go to all 90s. The only time you need to get underneath is when you install your Y-pipe. You might want to go with a hi-flow cat when you do the swap. Again if your budget allows it. Give yourself a couple of days to get everything back in order.
Old 04-28-2011   #5
GTABill

Yep, they aren't too bad to do. I've got the Flowtech emission shorties on mine(they look almost the same) and other than it being a little tight on the passenger side, it was pretty simple. And I will second every suggestion posted above. Especially the plug boots.....don't ask me why lol. Good luck with the install! That was a good find!!

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #6
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Looks like they came from a car that had been on fire.

Yumiko
Old 05-02-2011   #7
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Thanks for the tips guys! So you say that they will drop right in from the top? Im assuming that this would require the removal of the AC right? Will I have to get different plugs and wire for them to fit? I am still kind of nervous to be taking this job on with my friend at home. Because everytime I ask somebody they say something different. I have been told I will need to raise the engine by a few people which I blew off. If I have to raise the engine at all they just are not going on. But yes yumiko, they were off a car that burnt up. It was a built 383 with a stealth ram and everything, but it burnt up. I can buy the stealth ram too for 250 bucks

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 05-02-2011   #8
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

For sure I think you will have to get something that will protect the spark plug wires and spark plugs from the heat from them. My car has the factory original style heat sheilds and exhaust manifolds and I still had to put on this material around where the spark plug wire connects to the spark plug so the heat would not damage them. These things that you are going to put on your car look like they get very hot. Is there a way that you can check to make sure that where these connect onto your engine is not damaged or warped from the fire?

Yumiko
Old 05-02-2011   #9
Tony89GTA
GTA Member

No offense but think you paid to much, those look pretty old and rotted.

Anyways pretty sure you will not need to mess with the a/c and you will pri ably need new 90* spark plug wires to make it all work out well.
ATI Procharger D1SC, AFR 195 Eliminator heads, Mini Ram, ZZ9 cam, AS&M Mono-blade TB, 60Ibs injectors, Stainless Works LT 1 3/4 headers, Mufflex 4" catback with Magnaflow race muffler, McLeod Street twin clutch, Moser Ford 9" with 3.70, DIY Prom with Code59. Stock short block

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2480939
Tony89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote