Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-22-2002   #1
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Help Me Please Oil pressure sending unit

Ok, I need some help here. My oil pressure sending unit has gone on the fritz. However, I have never changed one before. I know that it is a simple task but none of my repair manuals have mentioned this pressure unit. So I am stuck with doing this blind. I have 2 images that I want to post. Just to make sure I am looking at the right thing, and that I have the correct replacement. Any help would be appreciated.

Is this the sending unit????? It is a pic just behind the TPI on the drivers side of the distributor.
rich88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002   #2
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

forgot pic

forgot to attach pic
Old 06-22-2002   #3
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Question new unit????

is this the correct replacement part???? It just doesnt look right...but what do I know?
Old 06-22-2002   #4
Red88GTA
GTA Member

Yes, that is the correct sending unit according to the second pic. I can't see what you were taking a picture of, because it was too contrasty. But it is that part behind the distributor, but closer to the driver side on the back of the block.

Just one note. Just curious what kind of readings you were getting. I have seen people with a "jittery" oil gauge (on the analog dash) where the gauge looses it damping and just wiggles. This is not the sending unit. Otherwise, have fun. You may can turn it off with your bare hands. Pat
Red88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002   #5
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

update

Well I have replaced one of the sensors. The one located just above the oil filter. No dice....didnt do anything. So now I have to go back to pep boys and get another one of those big sending units huh? This is annoying.... what did the one I just replace do????

Ah well, these are the symptoms:

1) turn the ignition key to on and my digital dash beeps at me and the oil pressure gauge goes from the top all the way down to red and sits there.

2) Start the car and it just dissapears.

3) After driving between 30-40 miles(highway) the gauge just starts working again.

If anyone has some ideas I would love to hear them.
Old 06-22-2002   #6
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

new pic

this is a new pic of what I was looking at. The single gold wire wasnt atttached earlier.
Old 06-23-2002   #7
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

update

I decided to pull the unit I pointed out earlier. Is this the factory unit??
Old 06-23-2002   #8
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Angry arrrgggghhhhhh

Well, I replaced that older unit with the one pictured above and guess what....I get a signal now. Unfortunatly, the gauge is reading 0 now. No matter what the rpms are at.

I just changed my oil yesterday so that cannot be the problem....any ideas?
Old 06-23-2002   #9
Red88GTA
GTA Member

When you told me about the oil pressure going off the gauge, I was going to tell you that you were on the right path. When my brother bought his new '87 with digital dash, I remember he had to get a new sending unit for that same reason replaced under warranty.

Here is what the GM Service Manual Says:

"Remove the connector from the Oil Pressure Sender: If the display now shows high pressure, the wiring is good. Install a new Oil Pressure Sender" (you bought a bad one).

My dictation of the rest: If the display remains low then the wire going to the sending unit is shorting out to ground somewhere.

Pat
Old 06-23-2002   #10
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Great thanks I will try that now and let you know.
Old 06-23-2002   #11
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Nope, as sson as I disconnect it dissapears...any ideas?
Old 06-23-2002   #12
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

oops

Ok let me try this again.... When I start the car with the connector off, the light is missing. If I take the connector off while car is running the indicator stays at 0.
Old 06-23-2002   #13
Red88GTA
GTA Member

Ok, the lights are missing when you disconnect the wire. This is like a full reading. This means the wiring is good and the sending unit is either bad or I guess there could be something in the hole where the sending unit screws in. But let's asume the pressure sending unit is bad and go swap it out. At least your wiring is good I sounds!
Old 06-23-2002   #14
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

ok

Ill try that and post what I get in about 30 mins. Thanks Red
Old 06-23-2002   #15
Red88GTA
GTA Member

Rich

I just finally looked at the part you said "I decided to pull the unit I pointed out earlier" where the heck did that part come from? I know every sensor on these cars and do not recognize that! That isn't what you took out as the oil pressure sending unit is it?
Pat
Old 06-23-2002   #16
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

yep

Yep that was the part alright. And now I removed it again and replaced with the same part from auto zone and still no dice it just sits at 0. Any ideas?
Old 06-23-2002   #17
Red88GTA
GTA Member

I am baffled. Someone else step in here.

The picture of the new part -100% looks like a oil pressure sending unit for an actual oil gauge in the dash. The part you show you took out looks like a oil pressure sending unit for an "idiot light". This may be a dumb question, but is this car all original for the most part?

By the way, you said you replaced the sensor directly above the starter (not the one on the cylinder head itself). That would be the ESP knock sensor.

I am confused.
Old 06-23-2002   #18
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

ok

Lets clarify here and reflect

1) The sensor I replaced yesterday was directly above the oil filter. It is the fuel pump cutoff.

2) before I switched sensors on the manifold (little thingy to big can-type) I had no reading at all. No idicator on the digital dash at all.

3) After I replaced sensors I got a reading of 0. Starting the car and removing the sensor wire did nothing. Indicator stayed at 0.
Removing the wire and then starting the car gave me the original indication. No light at all.

The car is stock for the most part and came with the digital dash.
Old 06-23-2002   #19
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

this is a pic of what it looks like in my car now.
Old 06-23-2002   #20
Red88GTA
GTA Member

SOMEONE HELP

Someone help us!

I just checked my '88 with digial dash and that tan wire plugs into the big oil pressure sending unit just like you were doing which coincides with the GM service manual. P.S. - Sorry, I misread your post about the other sensor being above the filter. I'll write back if I can think of something.