Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-21-2002   #1
ghettocruiser
Multi-Vehicle Member

hatch questions....

Ok, Im still having hatch issues with my car. First of all, i cant align it for the life of me. Im at the point where Ill probably have a body shop do it. Ive tried and tried. It still leaks like crazy mostly because I need a new seal, but Im not gonna seat a new seal til the hatch is aligned. Anyway, back to my actual question....its about the pull down unit. I need to know how exactly the rest of your's works.
First, when you pop the hatch, doest he motor come all the way up without you actually picking the hatch up off of it...or does it stop? I have new shocks, and new pull down unit, but when I pop it, the motor stops til I pick the hatch up. I assume thats not good for the motor. The reason I asked this, was because Ive heard of the hatches actually coming up by themselves...
Second, when the motor is pulling the hatch down, right before it clicks off, does it sound like its straining alittle? Or does it stay steady til the end. Mine gets about 3/4 of the way down, and sounds like its really working hard, then clicks off....
I know thats alot of reading, but they are just stupid questions about my car. Any info would be cool. I always hear about how everyones hatch doesnt work, Ide like to hear how they DO work.
Justin
Old 11-21-2002   #2
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Mine's finicky. Somtimes, it'll work right, sometimes, it will not. I think it's because some idiot friend of mine thought itwas jammed once while it was automatically closing and decided to jump on the hatch, and land on the spoiler (thankfully, it's the fiberglass spoiler, popped back into place). Anyway, since then , the hatch sometimes will come all the way up, and sometimes, it'll come up, but won't release and end up bringing the hatch back down. Oh well... so much for that. One of these days I'll get around to fixing it.

fred

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002   #3
Red88GTA
GTA Member

Mine strains a little just before it clicks off when bringing it down. If it didn't I would worry that it isn't pressing against the seal. I have debated raising the whole latch assembly up 1/8 inch.

If you have new struts I would think the motor would raise all the way up since the struts picked up the hatch far enough to allow it to come up. Are you sure you have the right struts and does the hatch come up with very little help? It sounds like the motor might be straining to come up?

Mine goes up then pulls the hatch right back down since my struts aren't that strong. Since I broke the two outer bolts that hold the spoiler on and then found out there's rot in my spoiler, I'll be getting a lighter figerglass unit. Good luck

1988 Bright Red GTA, digital dash, Grey Cloth, L98
Red88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002   #4
ghettocruiser
Multi-Vehicle Member

Hey thanks for the replies... My hatch motor, when the hatch is popped, starts to push up the hatch, but then stops. If I dont touch the hatch, it will sit there, making no noise, not moving...most likely burning the motor up. I have brand new hatch struts from Autozone, special ordered because I have the aero wing. The hatch is still heavy when first pulling it up tho. Once it gets like 1/8 of the way open, it goes up with like one finger, not much to push up. After about 1/2 way, it almost goes up by itself.
What Ive been doing, is using the key to open my hatch, instead of the inside button. By the time I hit the button, climb out of the car, run back, and pick the hatch up, its been sittin there for a few seconds with the motor pushing. So I use the key and pick the hatch up as soon as it unlocks. Im 6'4, so gettin out and runnin around back takes alittle time Anyway, is there anything I should check out that would make my hatch go up easier? I know that wing is heavy..maybe thats just it. Maybe its got alot of moisture in it. I would like a fiberglass one, but its too much $$$$
Let the ideas pour in!!!
Justin

Red88GTA...where are you gettin your new glass wing?? How much is it gonna cost ya?
Old 11-21-2002   #5
Red88GTA
GTA Member

I don't like it when you said that it is heavy to open your hatch for the first few inches. I have read posts were individuals put on new struts. Then when they pop the hatch, it literally opens an inch or two all by itself. Then with just a little help, pops all the way open. Only thing I could think of is that new seals would make for such a tight fit that they would help the hatch pop up some..??!!.. Maybe someone else needs to tell you how well their new hatch struts work..

Tell me about the $$$ for a new wing. Don't want a used one because even though they look good on the outside, the inside is seems to rot. ARGH!

1988 Bright Red GTA, digital dash, Grey Cloth, L98
Red88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002   #6
tommydodso
GTA OWNER

hatch

well if you want the hatch to come up all the way with touching when poping it take the spoiler off and put a straight one one there. i had to repaint mine once because it had a crack in it it would fly up with out the spoiler on it. i still have my wrap around spoiler on it though. i need new shocks for my car too sometimes it stays up and sometimes it don't depends on if i am flat land or not.
they ain't cheap neither i have bought some before for another t/a and they were 69.00 high. well this concludes my 2 cents.
tommy