Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-01-2004   #1
GUNGTA
GUNGTA

Help Me Please Every once in a while it dies, bad gas ?

i own a 1989 gta trans am with 90,000 miles on it. it has a 5.7 liter automatic. a while ago my car had a bad hesitation. I took it in to a shop to get it fixed, it turned out it had a bad fuel pump. well, for the most part its been running alot better. but one day i got gas in it and drove it around for a little while and then all the suddon it started running like crap, it would die and every time i tried starting it, it would like chug and then die. i got it home finally. i took it back to the shop and the next day they said " hey we cant find nothing wrong with it, it runs fine." and sure enough it was running fine. but then again every once in a while when i start it , something dont sound right. also last night i drove it 20 miles to janesville and drove around fine. but i parked in a parking lot to talk to some friends. when i went back to start it, it started chuging again and died, i started it again, and it died again. so i waited about 10 min. i started and it ran fine, got home and here i am. I am just wondering if any of you would know whats doing this. Could it possibly just be bad gas or what. My fuel pump is new, my fuel filter is new. maybe i need new injectors or something. I dont know, someone please help me .
GUNGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #2
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom
Re: Every once in a while it dies, bad gas ?

have your igntion system checked out, your coil, cap and rotor, ignition module... stuff like that. you might have something going bad.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #3
Tony89GTA
GTA Member

Could be that your MAF sensor might be going bad, try taping with something when it's running to test it, also is there any trouble codes on the computer?
ATI Procharger D1SC, AFR 195 Eliminator heads, Mini Ram, ZZ9 cam, AS&M Mono-blade TB, 60Ibs injectors, Stainless Works LT 1 3/4 headers, Mufflex 4" catback with Magnaflow race muffler, McLeod Street twin clutch, Moser Ford 9" with 3.70, DIY Prom with Code59. Stock short block

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2480939
Tony89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #4
GUNGTA
GUNGTA

i put a new starter in it, i also put in new cap and rotor, spark plugs, and spark plug wires in it. and i do not have any trouble codes on the computer. how would i test the MAF sensor exactly ?
Old 08-02-2004   #5
Tony89GTA
GTA Member

Tap it with a screwdriver while the car is running and see if it does anything, just one thing to cross off the list.
ATI Procharger D1SC, AFR 195 Eliminator heads, Mini Ram, ZZ9 cam, AS&M Mono-blade TB, 60Ibs injectors, Stainless Works LT 1 3/4 headers, Mufflex 4" catback with Magnaflow race muffler, McLeod Street twin clutch, Moser Ford 9" with 3.70, DIY Prom with Code59. Stock short block

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2480939
Tony89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004   #6
GUNGTA
GUNGTA

well if its a bad maf , whats it going to do when im taping it ? give me a serive engine soon light or what ? cause of right now i checked my codes and there isnt any.
Old 08-02-2004   #7
Ozzy88GTA
Old Timer

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic

It could be the lifters as I said in the other thread posted here. If you have a stuck lifter it will rob power like crazy. Mine is doing the same and it is a lifter problem, maybe loose rocker nuts. I'm waiting to get the car back from the paint shop to go in there and fix the damn thing.
You might also have a bad EGR valve or solenoid. Check to see if you have a diagnostic switch on the EGR valve. The switch looks like a small O2 sensor screwed into the base of the EGR valve located under the plenum. If you have this switch but no codes then it is something else because the ECM will throw a code if the EGR valve or solenoid is bad.
And last but not least you could have a dirty fuel injectors.

-Ozzy
Ozzy88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004   #8
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Another thought would be a bad O2 sensor. It will have the same effect. Its happened to me b4.Just a thought. DO you have a ck eng light?

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004   #9
GUNGTA
GUNGTA

no check engine light
Old 07-10-2006   #10
Nuggy

howdy I am expeirencing a similar problem with my 1989 gta runs fine then shut of then chugs let it sit runs fine thought it was the fuel pump but noticed a good vaccum noise when takeing off the gas cap and the it would run suspect a clogged vent anyone else have an idea ?
Nuggy is offline   Reply With Quote