Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-16-2003   #1
1fastgta

How bad is the install of a T56?

My tranny died for the fouth (yes fourth!!!) time. I've always said if it dies again, I'm putting in a 6 speed. For those of you who have done this swap, how bad is it? I've found a complete donor with factory clutch (which would get swapped out for a better one) for $2000 out of a 97 Camaro. Seem to be a good deal to me. I know that a gear change is going to be needed if I do this, maybe a 3.73 or 4.11, but how long does it take to complete this install? Give the low down and dirty, please. I appreciated it!
James

P.S. For those of you who have done this, have your times improved, and by how much???
Artic White 91GTA L-98, SLP 1 3/4" Jet Hot coated headers, w/dual Random Tech cats, SLP 3" cat-back, K&N, AF, AFPR, MSD-6, MSD coil, Ported Plenum, relo IAT sensor, Haydens 185*-165* fan control kit, 180* thermostat, TB by-pass, Midwest 3200 converter, Monster Motorsports Tanny
12.8@107 (9/17/05)
249/353 rwhp/tq so far with a stock chip (5/04)
345/448 rwhp/tq is just a push button away ;-)
Let's not even talk about the odometer!
1fastgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003   #2
zimmstoy
GM Enthusiast

It is not too awful. Just make sure that you have a lot of time. It took me 2 days to complete. And my car was originally a five speed car.

My times have not improved a whole lot just yet. I still need to learn how to drive it properly. However the car does feel like it has new life.. And I only have stock 3.45 gears.

I used components from www.spohn.net. His stuff was great quality and easy to install. It makes the project essentially a bolt in.

Just takes a lot of time !!

Is it 2000.00 for the car or just 2000.00 for the tranny setup. If it is just for the tranny it is way too much, even if it includes everything.

Lemme know if you have any detailed questions.

92 Z28 Convertible

87 Monte Carlo SS - Turbo V6 Powered
86 Regal T-Type
zimmstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003   #3
87gta350
GTA Member

I am also interested in swapping my 700R4 with a T56, I found this site with a breakdown of what needs to be done to do the swap I'm curious if it sounds right to anyone who has done it..and for anything that may cause problems.

http://www.skulte.com/T56.html

Josh