Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-09-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

Performance specs on gta's

I was wondering if anyone can tell me I could find the different performance specs for gta's with the 5.7 liter compared to gta's with the 5.0 liter. I'm presently looking into purchasing an 88 gta 5.7 liter 350 and a 90 gta 5.0 liter 305. Can anyone help me? I only seem to find the specs for the 350 gta.

Thanks
Tino
Old 06-10-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

HORSE POWER

HEY THERE, IN REFERENCE TO YOUR QUESTION, THE 88 GTA (WHICH IS WHAT I HAVE) HAS 225 HP AND 330 LBS OF TORQUE. THE 90 WITH A 305 ALSO HAS 225 HP BUT ONLY 295 LBS OF TORQUE. I REALLY DONT THINK YOU WOULD REALLY FEEL TO MUCH DIFFERENCE, UNLESS YOU HAD A 5 SPEED ATTACHED TO IT....:-) SEAN
Old 06-10-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

Re: HORSE POWER

So basically saying that the 350 gta's and the 305 gta's have the same hp but just different pounds of torque? How about quarter mile times or 0-60 times.

Thanks
Tino
Old 06-13-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

Re: Performance specs on gta's

The 5 speed 305's from what i've read run pretty close to the 5.7's. More potential in the 5.7, but only available in auto. If I was making the choice, i'd go for the 90 (I'm biased....I have a 90 5.7/auto). Additionally the 90's was the first year for Speed Density, which usually outperform the earlier MAF cars. And to boot, the 90 is much rarer than 88.

One more thing, if you bought the 90 you could always swap out the t5 for a 6 speed from a late model fbody, much easier than trying to swap an auto.

TAG
Old 06-14-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

gta specs

Thanks for the info. The 90gta i'm looking at is an auto with t tops. The 88gta is a 350 w/out t tops. So u don't know of any place i can get the actual performance figures for the 350 gta's compared to the 305's. thanks
Old 06-14-2000   #6
REMOVED USER

Performance Figures

The performance figures are on this gta sourse page. I would also go with the 90 because I have so many problems with my damn MAFs i wish i could just eliminate the whole thing...
Old 06-14-2000   #7
REMOVED USER

tino
I assumed the 90 was a 5-speed. You will want to get more info. before your decision. I believe the 305 auto used a mild cam compared to the 305/stick or 350 auto. You may be unhappy with the performance, depending on your desires.

Pop over to thirdgen.org tech board for good advice.

If it were my decision I'd only buy a 350/auto or 305/5-speed. However, the car in better condition overall is the best choice. Making a 305/auto fast is cheaper than repairing/replacing many parts.

TAG
Old 06-14-2000   #8
REMOVED USER

gta specs

What is a MAF? Also the performance specs for the 305 are not listed on the gta source page or maybe i'm just blind. So basically u guys are saying either stick with the 350auto or the 305 5speed.

Thanks
Tino
Old 06-14-2000   #9
REMOVED USER

MAF=mass air flow...it's a sensor. It responds well to mods but is cumbersome and restrictive to airflow.
It's about coffe can size, sits inline on the air intake in front of the throttle body. The computer makes adjustments to the fuel mixture based on info from the MAF and other sensors. It's an expensive part.

Speed Density 1990-1992 uses a small sensor (MAP) that connects to the side of the plenum. It's a cheap part, has no effect on airfow. The computer based on info from the MAP and other sensors selects a fuel table programmed into the chip. If you make any major changes; heads, cam, big injectors. You'll need a new chip to take full advantage of your mods.

Most SD cars outperform MAF cars even though the HP&Torque ratings are very close.

I noticed on the for sale board on this site someone has a 1992 GTA 5.7 with low mi. for $8500. That's the one to get (if you like the 1991-92 ground effects). That is a very rare car, and likely to be worth much more in the near future.

TAG
Old 06-14-2000   #10
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Sorry for the lack of information on the 5.0L TPI engines on the Source Page, Tino. It seems that all the info I have been able to find in regards to performance numbers have been on 5.7L engines.

I have a 5.0L/auto '88 GTA that I'm rebuilding right now; the 5.0L/auto cars were down about 10 hp each year compared to the manual 5-speed 5.0Ls due to a cam change. The manual cars got a slightly hotter camshaft.

I do have a road test review that I haven't gotten posted to the Page yet; it is a comparison test between a 1989 GTA 5.7L and a 1989 Trans Am 5.0L/5-speed. It wouldn't be exactly the same for the '90 models, but the times give you some idea of the difference between the cars:

1989 GTA 5.7L/auto: 0-60 mph: 6.44 seconds
1/4 Mile: 15.13 @ 94.3 mph

1989 T/A 5.0L/5-speed: 0-60 mph: 6.72 seconds
1/4 Mile: 15.64 @ 92.8 mph

As you can see, not a lot of difference really. The later model 5.0L/5-speed cars had as much HPs the earlier 5.7L cars.

Hope this helps......

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002   #11
f-crazy
GTA Member

the tpi setup was designed around the 305 which is why the the mini mouse runs so damn well...but yes the 350 has more potential..hence the sayin "theres no replacement for displacment"....
f-crazy is offline   Reply With Quote