Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-31-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

Are 373 gears worth it?????

I HAVE AN 88 GTA WITH THE STOCK 327 GEARS. HAS ANYBODY UPGRADED TO 373 FROM THIS GEARING? I TALKED TO A COUPLE OF PEOPLE AND NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW IF THE 373 WOULD MAKE A NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE. THEY SAY THAT IF I HAD THE 273 GEARING IT WOULD MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE BUT FROM THE 327 TO THE 373 IT WOULDNT MAKE A NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS SEAN
Old 08-01-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

3:73s

It will make a difference. I have 373s in my car and it took about 4 tenths of a second in the 1/4. I had 3:42s prior to this. Of course you will feel a greater difference going 2:73 to 3:73....but throwing 3:73s always makes a difference. You will also notice you rev a lot faster. Only problem is your speedo needs to be re-calibrated. Go for it. You could swap the pumpkin for $175 Richmond Gears through SUMMIT.
Old 08-02-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

gears

What exactly would I have to do to change the gears, Not that i would be doing it myself, but i have what I am told is an australian rear. Is this some kind of special rear that i would have to have changed to put 373 gears in? probrbaly sounds like a dumb question but i figured id rather find out now then to have the shop charge me hundreds extra for stuff that i didnt know that i would need. Thanks Sean
Old 08-02-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

hey

Get under the rear of the car and look at the axle. See the thing in the middle that looks like a pumpkin? The gears are inside there. You will be swapping the new gears inside the housing you see. Last time I checked you could buy Richmond 3:73s, 3:42s, or 4:10s for $175. Try summitracing.com
Old 08-02-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

sorry.

Sorry that probably didn't answer your question. I had that same australian brand rear in my car (can't think of the name of it,it's on the tip of my tongue.)

Anyway the Richmond gears will swap with your existing 3:27s. Put it this way, I replaced my whole axel in an hour, at nighttime.

later.
Old 08-02-2000   #6
REMOVED USER

gears

ok thanks. Once i get my car back (blew the motor) ill look into some gears