Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-17-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

Tranny swap veterans...please help!!

I just bought a highly modified 5.7 liter '91 GTA in good condition overall. It has a manual transmission swap(Borg-Warner T-5 from the 5.0 Liter version presumably)which is an absolute work of art because of it's perfect cut, perfect clutch, factory looking shifter, well, since I didnt know of GTAs when I bought it I thought it was a FACTORY manual car. Now, I would not have bought it if it wasn't for the manual tranny but it did produce it's share of drawbacks. For one, the reverse lights don't work(duh!), the speedo doesn't work either but the greatest and most serious defect is the TOO low RPMs at idle(about 600rpm)which result in the car shutting down when the RPMs get too low(hazardous with power-steering). This is dangerous because the wheel locks when this happens and we end up downshifting to turn it back on. Is this a common result of transmission swaps? I would like to know how to resolve if not the low idle, then the other 2 drawbacks of a tranny swap. I'd like input from other GTA owners who have succesfuly performed the tranny swap but any feedback is welcome.