Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-23-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

radio controls

Need help? My radio works fine but the steering controls don't function. What should I look for? Steering controls used to work perfectly, but suddenly stopped. Factory stereo and steering on 88 GTA
Old 03-24-2001   #2
REMOVED USER

GTA Radio Controls

I am also frustrated with the steering wheel controls on my 88 GTA which have been a problem ever since I bought the car. I have an intermittent problem with the steering wheel controls working sometimes and then ceasing to work as I am driving along, at this time the radio either 'freezes' on a station or starts 'searching' for stations or performing one of its other functions. I have checked all the electrical connections that I can find and they seem OK. I am now seriously thinking about buying a modern radio with a remote, but would like to keep the original equipment if I can. So like IceGTA I would welcome some advice?
Old 03-25-2001   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: GTA Radio Controls

Hey, fellas..... I think you are going to find that both of you are experiencing problems with the wiring that runs through the wheel and down the steering column.....

Ice, do you have illumination on your wheel controls at night? That would be the first sign that you have some wiring problems between there and the stereo. If you don't have any wheel "lights", then the wiring is most likely cut or crimped somewhere between the two pieces. I've experienced this myself..... the space is very tight inside the column, and sometimes the wiring can get in a bind.... especially it it works its way out of the protective sleeve. There is a harness connector up inside the column itself that might need to be checked as well, if memory serves correctly. If you do have lights, then the problem may very well be in the stereo unit itself.

Aussie, this I've experienced as well...... the sudden "roaming station seeker"..... and on my car it was caused by the key switch rubbing against the wiring for the wheel controls as it ran down through the column. You could feel a "ratcheting" in the lock cylinder; give it a wiggle, and the radio would take off on its "signal race". A simple adjustment of the lock cylinder cured my problem.

Hopefully this will give you guys some ideas, anyway.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote