Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-13-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

no acceleration, please help!!

when i step on the gas hard in my gta, something screws up and it loses all acceleration and the check engine light comes on. it flashes a code 33 wich means either a faulty ecm, or maf sensor. It also does it really bad when im going uphill, sometimes i cant go faster than 15 or 10 uphill because of this problem. ive got a 5.7L all stock engine in the car. maf sensors are expensive, and i doubt its the ecm... anyone know anything about this? cause a gta without speed is a very sad thing.
Old 03-13-2001   #2
REMOVED USER

MAF!!!

I ran into the same problem when i first got my Gta, I would step on the gas and the car would choke and the engine light would come on... I replaced the Maf and it was fine for a week, and then it happend again, so i returned the maf and agian it was fine for a week...I returned that one and they said i couldnt return it anymore, so i replaced an 11 dollar relay and I have not had the problem since (5 months) If you look under your hood on the Driver side there are 2 similar relays attached to the firewall... I replaced one of them, i cant remember which one it was, I think i counted the wires going into the maf and one of the relays had the same amount so i replaced that one. I would recomend going to the store and asking them for a relay first and see if that takes care of it. I made the mistake of spending 279.00 on the maf that i didnt really need..... Hope this helps... jusst let me know... Sean
Old 03-15-2001   #3
REMOVED USER

Re: acceration and codes

I too replaced my MAF ($450 AUS) sensor but no joy. Then as Sean did I replaced the relays on the firewall (both of them @ $11.65 ea) and no codes have come up since(12 months)
Old 03-15-2001   #4
REMOVED USER

Re: acceration and codes

I ALSO REPLACED MY MAF BUT EVENTUALY FOUND THAT IT WAS THE MODULE IN THE DISTRIBUTOR BUT BUY A GOODONE FROM ACCEL OR MSD THERE ONLY ABOUT $5 MORE THAN ONE FROM AUTOZONE BUT THEY HARDLY EVER GO BAD AND AD ALITTLE MORE TO YOUR SPARK.
THE RELAY ON THE FIREWALL IS THE MAF BURNOFF RELAY AND THAT CONTROLLS ALOT OF THE MAF PRIMARY FUNCTION.
Old 03-23-2001   #5
REMOVED USER

relay

wow, i never considered a relay being the problem. ill go check that out soon. thanks for the help guys. ill let you know if it works
Old 03-25-2001   #6
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: no acceleration, please help!!

33 is the code for the MAF high voltage at idle. According to my service manual, it could be either a faulty MAF, a faulty MAF power relay, an open ground circuit somewhere in the system, or a faulty ECM.

Check all your wiring and if it looks good, then my money would be on one of the first two possibilities. A bad power relay would obviously be the cheapest repair (@ $12.00), but the MAF will be a good deal more. I doubt it would be the ECM.

Not much help, but this gives you some ideas of possible causes for your SES light.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote