Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-07-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

Air induction questions

Hi, last year I purchased an '87 GTA (350). I did some minor mods (airfoil, k&n filter, and flowmaster muffler) and put it in storage for winter. It's spring and I need more power. And I know the one of the best ways to make horsepower is to get the car to breathe better. But on the '87, the air induction system is very boxy and restrictive. Is there anyway to modify it or should I go for an aftermarket product? Also, is it possible to swap an '88 or '89 induction system in place of mine? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2001   #2
REMOVED USER

induction

I have done the same mods as you as well as SLP intake runners, removing the screens from the MAF sensor, modifying the airfilter box and I also removed the airbox that mounts to the radiator support and added a nice looking piece of durable 4" ductwork there instead. Adding the ductwork in placed of the airbox gave me about 1/2 sec. in the quarter and another 500 rpm on the top end. Another mod you can do is to add new ignition components. If you have the HEI with external coil, I would recommend the HI-6S ignition kit w/coil and an Accel performance HEI distributor module. The kit and module will run you about $350 but you'll get about another 500 rpm at least on top. The stock ignition craps out about 4500 rpm. So, the ignition with the intake runners and the ductwork will get you a VERY noticable gain. You will be pleased. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2001   #3
REMOVED USER

Re: induction

Hey, thanks for the info. I'm impressed by your gains with what you did to your induction setup. Is there anyway you could get me pictures of this setup and go into detail on exactly what you did? It would save me a lot of money instead of buying the SLP cold air kit. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2001   #4
REMOVED USER

intake

Sorry to say I don't have any current pictures. All I did was take the airbox off the radiator and substitute a piece of tough ductwork. It just looks like a big silver tube running from the MAF sensor to the throttle body. I had to use a reducer on the MAF sensor side(4" to 3"). The piece of ductwork is 4" and you can get it at any hardware store for under $5. It is not the cheap stuff though. This is the thick flexible type. Nice performance upgrade. Good luck.