Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-02-2011   #1
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Smog Test Today

Hello Everyone, Sorry for my long post. Some good information to know perhaps about the automatic transmissions and the smog testing that may be helpful to some of you to know about.

Today we got my GTA smog tested. The machanic did not know what he was doing at all. Actually he almost cause my GTA to fail because of his inexperience. My husband and I were there while he was doing it and my husband had to tell him what he was doing wrong.

What happened was, we arrive there and we give the mechanic the renewal registration. He come back with a clip board and ask us to fill out our information on the paperwork. He then drive my GTA onto the rollers and get out. After we finish the paperwork, the mechanic ask for the registration renewal, but we had given it to him already. So we search around for a few minutes and he find it in his office. He must have left it there after getting the clip board for us.

So now the mechanic has this device that he says can check the engine rpm without being connnected to the car. Well that did not work after he try for about five minutes. We think that device only works on cars without distributor or something because the mechanic say it works on most of the cars now. It was not working for my GTA. So we open the hood and he connects the machine to one of the spark plug wires and that made it work where he could read the rpm on the computer screen of the smog machine.

So now he get inside my GTA and starts turning the rear wheels. He push the gas so fast that my GTA almost came over the rollers. My husband told him so he stopped and then he get out and put the big rubber wedges in front of the front tires of my GTA. I remember last time they put those there before they started moving the rear tires. So I think this mechanic forgot to do that.

Now the part that almost fail my GTA is, the guy is in my GTA making the rear wheels spin on the rollers while he is looking at the computer screen. The test is only in the beginning stage. So the computer tells the mechanic to make the car go 25 mph. So he applies the gas to make the car go 25 mph on the rollers. And then the computer says that there is an rpm violation and tells him to abort the test session. So he has to start all over. The mechanic gets out of my GTA and is talking to my husband and I but we can not understand what he is saying. He says something about the gas pedal and the rpms are not correct with the smog machine. I have no idea what this mechanic is saying. But my husband continues to talk to him. So then the machanic starts the test over again. This time he has to readjust the seat in my GTA. He says that maybe it is too close for him, I had the seat adjusted because I drove my GTA to there.

So he starts the test again but the same thing happens but this time my husband is at the smog machine that is next to my GTA. My husband notices that the mechanic is testing my GTA in the circle drive gear and not just the gear that it is supposed to be in when it is being driven below 45 mph. So the machanic instead of aborting the test like the first time, puts my GTA in the correct gear and tries again. This time it worked and there was no error.

So I think a lot of mechanics now do not know about that circle drive gear anymore and if they place the car in that gear for the smog test, it will fail. Because the problem that my husband told me that the mechanic told him was that the rpm violation error was because the car changed gears automatically to the overdrive and so at that moment, the rpm rate went from around 1,600 rpm down to 700 rpm when the transmissions automatically shifted to the highway gear while the car was only at 25 mph on the rollers. The smog machine detected that and automatically stopped the test.

When we got home later in the evening, we noticed that the mechanic listed the reason for the test as "change of ownership". We were very upset to see this. We looked at all of the previous smog certificates and none of them say that before. So my husband has a friend who is a police officer and he call him to find out if he knows anything about how that will impact my GTAs history. My husbands friend says that it should not effect it because the only information that smog stations provide to the carfax history report is if it passes or fails. It is at the DMV where the title change or ownership is reported by.

So this was a really frustrating smog test this time. The only good part about it is my GTA passed very good. Actually it scored better this time than it has for the past eight years. Only one section it did not score as well, but in this section it is still much lower than the maximum allowed.

So when you guys get your GTA smog tested on the rollers, make sure that the mechanic does the test with your transmissions in the normal drive gear and not the circle drive gear. The circle drive gear is for when your GTA is moving at least 45 mph or greater, not starting to move from a complete stop. The smog machine will stop the test and state that there is an rpm violation when the transmissions shift and the rpm suddenly drops to a much lower rate.

Yumiko
Old 08-02-2011   #2
90 L98 TransAm

Re: Smog Test Today

smog and safety inspections are often not much more than a scam.

California Air Research Board (CARB) members with fake PhDs. Quick lube and tire store lobbyists paying off politicians to require annual testing on vehicles that are only driven 1,000 miles/year.

If the exhaust coming out the tailpipe is clean why should it matter what has been done to a vehicle?

I had a safety check done on one of those drive-on brake testers once and it said i only had 10 -20% of the required braking performance at each wheel which i knew was bull. needed the certificate to register my car so i took it back to the dealer where i bought it for an inspection. they said my brakes were good as new and gave me the required paperwork.

what a joke.
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #3
merc3065

If the mechanic knows how to do the smog test, they know to put it into drive or the 1:1 drive ratio.

Guy is dumb and sounds like you went to one of those drive in testers vs an actual mechanic.
Old 08-03-2011   #4
YumikoGTA

I attach a scan copy of the test results of my GTA from yesterday smog test. My car is a 1987 GTA with the 5.7 liter engine and automatic transmissions. If there is any specific information about how my GTA engine is running from the test results, please let me know, as I have no idea what the number measurements mean at all. Thank you.

What on the engine effects measurements of the:

C02
HC(PPM)
CO
NO(PPM)

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 08-03-2011 at 12:35 AM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #5
merc3065

All the stuff looks good.

If you noticed high HCs on the list there is unburnt fuel in the exhaust stream.
If you noticed high NOx on the list there is a chance the catalytic converter is failing.
High HCs also indicate there is a possibility of oil being burnt.

The readings look good overall.
Old 08-05-2011   #6
YumikoGTA

Thank you for the informaton.

Just for fun, I scanned in the test results of my GTA from the year 2000. At that time, the engine was never rebuilt yet and it had about 240,000 miles on it. The test is much different now because in 2000 they just ran the engine while it is in park, and now they put it on the rollers and make the drive train of the car move.

So please explain to me about the HC, CO, 02 and stuff like that. If I wish to influence the results, what would I have to do in order influence the measurements of the HC, for example?

Thanks,

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 08-05-2011 at 01:29 AM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #7
merc3065

To influence the results of HC you need to change the programming, disconnect a spark plug or change the timing, dump oil into the cylinders on each ignition stroke or lower the fuel pressure on your car.

Same with the rest of the readings, it's all based on the various parts of the emissions systems.

NOx can be affected by timing and spark advance and the catalytic converter.

Im not sure how CO or CO2 is affected though. Probably fuel mixture and timing and so on.