Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 01-16-2011   #1
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
No fire

Just finished rebuilding the top end of my GTA, including headers.

New Injectors,
New SLP Runners,
New Coil, Cap, Rotor,Plugs, and Wires,
New Ignition module
New Spark Control Module, (mounts on firewall)

How can one check for spark ?

Getting plenty of fuel as I depressed the schraeder valve. Verified firing order. Turns over and over...Just not firing at all...

Any help in trouble shooting will be appreciated...
Old 01-16-2011   #2
budfreak1
stang stumper

GTA Year: 1991
Re: No fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarch View Post
Just finished rebuilding the top end of my GTA, including headers.

New Injectors,
New SLP Runners,
New Coil, Cap, Rotor,Plugs, and Wires,
New Ignition module
New Spark Control Module, (mounts on firewall)

How can one check for spark ?

Getting plenty of fuel as I depressed the schraeder valve. Verified firing order. Turns over and over...Just not firing at all...

Any help in trouble shooting will be appreciated...
Check out all of the electrical connections. To test for spark, either use a timing light and see if the light flashes when you crank the car or take out a spark plug and hook it to the plug wire and lay it on the manifold and watch for it to spark.

My Cardomain
1991 GTA L98 SuperRam- 13.5@98.7 MPH
1987 GTA L98: Flame Red(R.I.P.)
Road Demon:1992 Subaru SVX- Worlds fastest street N/A auto SVX record holder
1997 Silverado 350: Daily ride
budfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011   #3
merc3065

another way but I dont recommend it unless you're feeling brave

take a pair of INSULATED pliers, and hold the plug boot over the distributor and watch for a spark. Or, the same thing, INSULATED pliers to hold the boot over the plug.
Remember, keyword here...INSULATED! Getting zapped by HEI is oh so much fun *bzzzt*
You can also pull the plugs and see if they are wet and smell like fuel. This will tell you if there's little or no spark to that cylinder.

When you reinstalled the distributor did you make sure you reinstalled exactly as the old one came out? Or, if you didn't are you on TDC 1 exhaust? You could be 180* out. Or your timing could be out by 1 o 2 cylinders.

Check the distributor's position.
Old 01-17-2011   #4
djmarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
another way but I dont recommend it unless you're feeling brave

take a pair of INSULATED pliers, and hold the plug boot over the distributor and watch for a spark. Or, the same thing, INSULATED pliers to hold the boot over the plug.
Remember, keyword here...INSULATED! Getting zapped by HEI is oh so much fun *bzzzt*
You can also pull the plugs and see if they are wet and smell like fuel. This will tell you if there's little or no spark to that cylinder.

When you reinstalled the distributor did you make sure you reinstalled exactly as the old one came out? Or, if you didn't are you on TDC 1 exhaust? You could be 180* out. Or your timing could be out by 1 o 2 cylinders.

Check the distributor's position.
You know Merc...That's what I was thinking too that I could be 180 off, but when I positioned the crank to TDC, I placed #1 plug wire on the distributor cap to where the rotor was pointing too. I never removed the distributor..... So what needs to be done if I'm 180 out ?
Old 01-17-2011   #5
george88gta

Quote:
You know Merc...That's what I was thinking too that I could be 180 off, but when I positioned the crank to TDC, I placed #1 plug wire on the distributor cap to where the rotor was pointing too. I never removed the distributor..... So what needs to be done if I'm 180 out ?
If you didnt remove the distributor, you should still be in time mechanically. When you are at TDC, is the rotor pointing towards the front of the engine? If not, then you are not at TDC for #1 unless, of course, someone previously installed the distributor incorrectly . The recommended position for the rotor is pointing straight forward. Check to make sure the coil connections are seated, I have found that the foam rubber insulation/water proofing, inside the connectors, can make it difficult for the connectors to seat and latch. A timing light is the easiest way to check for spark. First install it on any plug wire to see if it lights. If not, then install it in the coil to cap wire. If there is still no light, you may have a poorly seated connector ( at the coil or the distributor module) or a defective part. Did you save the old distributor module? May be worth trying to swap that part back in. A quick check of the fuses wouldnt hurt either.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011   #6
djmarch

Quote:
Well guys...I've lost all faith in MSD...This new MSD coil is bad...Put my old one on and it fired right off...
Old 01-17-2011   #7
george88gta

Quote:
Well guys...I've lost all faith in MSD...This new MSD coil is bad...Put my old one on and it fired right off...
Glad you got it fixed. Been there done that, no more MSD parts for me. I have had a defective coil and now I found that the MSD cap and rotor corrodes and is probably the main cause of my distributor modules burning out. High resistance in the cap.
Old 01-17-2011   #8
djmarch

Quote:
Anybody recommend a good high voltage coil for our TPI's ?...Want to get good spark for fuel ignition..
Old 01-17-2011   #9
george88gta

Quote:
Anybody recommend a good high voltage coil for our TPI's ?...Want to get good spark for fuel ignition..
Some guys like ACCEL. Personally, if you are running the stock compression and the stock injectors, I am not comvinced you need a high voltage coil. I just switched over to a Blue Streak coil, stock replacement. I am sure others will disagree.
Old 01-17-2011   #10
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

I have heard some good things about the Petronix coils. Just a thought. hth

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011   #11
djmarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by george88gta View Post
Glad you got it fixed. Been there done that, no more MSD parts for me. I have had a defective coil and now I found that the MSD cap and rotor corrodes and is probably the main cause of my distributor modules burning out. High resistance in the cap.
Hmmm...Thanks for the heads up George as I have the MSD distributor cap as well. I picked MSD for the brass connectors, including the coil. I probably should change them all out...
Old 01-17-2011   #12
george88gta

I coated mine with dielectric grease before install and I guess it just burned off. MSD states that the failure mechanism is ionized air, inside the cap. Couple that with humidity and you get corrosion. They claim that if you vent the cap, the problem goes away. I sent them an email asking for instructions on venting the cap, no respnse as yet. Their new cap is vented. I saw a post online that tells you to just drill an 1/8" hole in the side of the cap to provide the vent. Ford has been doing this for a long time (at least on the older trucks).
Old 01-17-2011   #13
merc3065

yeah, just drill a small hole and it'll allow it to vent.
Old 01-17-2011   #14
rhomanski
The Born Loser

GTA Year: 1988

My old Chevy, with points, had a molded hollow tube. A cap was then glued on top of the tube that allowed the distributor cap to breathe. Never had problems with corrosion but did have it crack once in the cold weather. Ran poorly no matter how long you let it warm up. After you drove 150 feet it would run as smooth as glass. Never did figure that one out. That was back in the 70's though.

Regards,

Ron.