Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > NON-GTA SPECIFIC > GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA)

GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA) Use this forum to discuss topics of a more general nature.... it can be auto-related on not. Your choice. But above all, please be adult and responsible in your postings.

Old 05-22-2009   #1
GTA50

Why I have a GTA and belong to this site.

Hey guys and girls.

As a way of perhaps again trying to stimulate some activity...

I'm agreeing with a lot of other people and starting to think we should be wearing black arm bands. Man, this site is becoming like a wake - and since there's no bar service, we can't even have a decent Irish wake....

Reminds me of Michael and Patrick having a pint together again after 40 years. So, Michael turns to Patrick and says, "after all these years of friendship, if I goes before yee, would yee pour a beer over my grave?" Patrick says, "Aye, of course,...but do yee mind if I strain it through my kidneys first?"

Back on topic, so, why do you like the GTA so much?

For me, the lines (as my wife says are h**ney). The rumble (I love how it sets off car alarms). The power (umm), did I mention the rumble

You all do the rest.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #2
merc3065

Re: Why I have a GTA and belong to this site.

The reason I belong to this site is for the knowledge base and the lack of flaming/drama from other members.

We get some good well founded debates from time to time.
And there is a lot of specialized knowledge of the GTAs here and where to get parts and how to repair various things.

Reason I own a GTA is by chance really.
My first F-body was an 88 trans am fully loaded. It might as well have been a GTA with all the options and doodads that were on it, the only difference between my T/A and a GTA was the fender heat extractors the decals, the interior dash pocket, the center caps, the rear filler panel bird and the pontiac logo on the driver's light. All the typical GTA parts.

Then I drove too fast around a corner, and didn't pull out of the turn fast enough and overshot the turn into a farmer's field. I wanted to have a car again and I didn't wait. So I wound up with the notchback that was for sale on this site a few years ago that I got hosed pretty bad because I didn't do my research.

However, it's coming back together slowly amidst all the frustration and $$$.

Reason I own an F-body? My dad owned a 67 Camaro, 78 T/A, now I own an 88 GTA. My coworker owned an 88 camaro, and an 87 camaro. I've always like the firebird best because it was able to out perform a lot of things on the road and offer a lot of the neat little options that no other GM product save the corvette ever had. I like the lines of the car, and I like how easy things are to repair and maintain. I love the feel of the power, I loved the stock rumble of the exhaust. I absolutely detest the muffler I have on my GTA at the moment...
Old 05-22-2009   #3
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I am like Merc on the first part about the flaming and all around friendliness of everyone.
As for the reason for my GTA, is that I fist fell in love with the body style of the 91&92. I first saw the body style in an article about the new 91-92 SLP Firehawks and I fell in love. Then I bought an 89 Formula, but with a 305 tbi. Anywho, so I loved the way it handled and saw the one I currently own at local Chevy dealer adn bought it. I havent looked back yet. Even though I wish I could afford one of those Firehawks.

As for the site, I really enjoy it here, I cant say enough good things about it. Like my car, I could just go on and on and on..................

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #4
2manytoys

Why do I. That could be a long answer but the short version is. In the summer of 1990 I met my late wife and she was driving a 90 GTA and did she ever make that car look good. We had to sell it down the line when she got sick but I always wanted another. Not the same car but the GTA rumble and fun factor is there. Of course the knowledge and friendship on this site, just wish there were more members here in SoCal. It would be great to meet for lunch somewhere and kick tires and tell lies.
black on black
2manytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009   #5
88blckdrgnGTA

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI 5-Speed Manual

I'm a young guy, 19, and I got my GTA when I was sixteen. I had another car (chevy lumina)but being sixteen I of course had some misfortune with that and was in need of a new one. That was when gas was just beginning its upward spiral so i told my parents, something with good gas mileage will be fine. That is until i had a ride in a friends hot-rodded truck. I started looking more to cars with a bit of power until i came across an ad, 1988 firebird Trans Am GTA for sale. Not knowing much except Trans Am=v8 and anything with GT in the title meant faster i checked the internet for info. This site popped up and i looked at pics and read some things. I liked the atmosphere and dug the looks of the car. So i went and looked at the car, as soon as the guy started the engine and i heard the 5.0 out of brand new flowmasters i was hooked, I had to get this car. I convinced my parents that this car was the one for me and we drove it home 2 days later. Had some reapair costs but the car was only $2400 and ran pretty well, just leaked oil somewhat mildly. I learned to drive a 5 speed in that car and drove it all the time after that. I was the envy of most every sophomore at my high school. Anytime i had a problem i would come to this site until I understood mostly how everything worked and what to watch for in taking care of my car. The car is still going, mostly thanks to this site which has helped me into the car culture. I don't think there is a car community that surpasses this one for support and friendliness.
88blckdrgnGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #6
Agent13
GTA Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytoys
Of course the knowledge and friendship on this site, just wish there were more members here in SoCal. It would be great to meet for lunch somewhere and kick tires and tell lies.
There are plenty. We are going on the ROTW cruise tomorrow.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/so...meet-dons.html

1983 Daytona Trans Am
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #7
GTA50

Man, I wish I lived in SouthCal!!. There is actually quite a large following of Camaros here, and yes, they actually welcome those cars with the "pop-up" head lights. Still, it's not the same.

From my original post, all I have driven (car-wise) for the last 22 years has been a Thirdgen. My wife had a Camaro when we met and subsequent to that, it has been all Firebirds.

I had always wanted a Trans Am and had thought them to all be 350 V8s. Quite a shock to find otherwise. Anyway, I went to get some parts at the local GM dealership and got to talking with a guy in the service area. I said it was a shame to only get a V6/5-speed combo and too bad the V8 only came with the automatic. He of course told me, no way, he had a Camaro RS (I believe) with a 305/5-speed.

Fast forward, I was looking for a T/A and found this website - never knew about GTA's.

So, this site has now helped me to buy two GTA's, avoid a scam GTA, and allowed me to meet a great bunch of people.

I thank each and every one who has contributed.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #8
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I have a GTA because....well it is a very long story and perhaps you can read it in my sourcepage highlight if you want to. I have drove my GTA starting in 1987. It was the car that I drove every single day until about 1997. After that year, it was just a hobby kind of driving car, because I bought another car that I used for my everyday driving. I never thought that the GTA was a rare kind of car or anything. And when I purchased it when it was new, I never thought I would ever still have it this many years later. I just thought that when it got old I would get rid of it and get a new one. I really did not know too much about that type of information like the amount of GTAs that were built and stuff like that, until I think it was in October 2001, and I was telling a co-worker about my GTA. My co-worker did not know anything about the GTA either so I decided to just look it up on the internet. When I did, that day I found this sourcepage and I thought it had a lot of information in it that I could use. I also saw that there were some people with questions like the ones I once had about problems with it and how to repair different things on it. So I registered on this site and became involved over the years with posting on here and reading. Since I had my GTA for fourteen years before I found this site, I had already learned so much about my GTA and how to fix it and recognize what is problems with it. So I basically enjoyed to come here to offer my knowledge. Everything that I do not know about the GTA that is on this site, is things like modifications and stuff like that. I do not know anything at all about modifications and I am not interested to know those things. I only know about the way the car is new and from the dealership mostly. I know many people here on this site want to use this site for learning how to modify their GTA engine and performance. So I have a very limited knowlege about the GTA, but my limited knowlege is strong for how the GTA is in the original form and performance. I have kept my GTA original, even though it has been completely rebuilt, so I can look at my GTA and be able to tell anyone how the car was when it was brand new from the factory, because that is the way my car still is.

Yumiko
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009   #9
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Why do I have a GTA? The GTA always has been and always will be my dream car, regardless of what has or will come after it. For most people, there is that one car they they equate with good times in their lives or maybe just clicks with them for some reason and they say "yep, that's the one....".

The Trans Am GTA is that car for me. I remember the first time I ever saw one in person back in early 1987 and the effect it had on me. I remember that is was black and the sexy lines.... the gold.... the wheels.... the for-the-time futuristic interior styling.... it was like a sensory overload "OMG" moment. That same effect still hits me 22 years later every time I open my shop doors and see my cars sitting there with my name on the back of both of them.

At the risk of sounding a bit corny, it can almost be equated to a "first love" comparison. Or maybe pathetic, a little bit. But that's the truth.

Now, why do I belong to this site? So that all of you can as well.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009   #10
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Frankie hit it on the head for me. I remember being a teenager and going the the dealership and seeing them there. I remember thinking thats just the best looking car I have ever seen
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #11
Kevin91Z
We Build EXCITEMENT!!!

I have always owned third gen Camaros and never thought I'd be at the point where I could also own a third gen Firebird. In high school, I almost got a 1986 TransAm, but it never went through. I ended up with an 88 Camaro.

In 2006, I tore apart the Camaro and found some trouble spots in the body, not too much but they were there. I ended up finding a 1991 Z28 convertible that I bought for $3500, which after some careful thought and number crunching I figured would be cheaper than restoring my Camaro, which even when I was done would still be a base-model car with T Tops and a TPI 305 that was swapped in. Bought the vert, still decided to keep the 88 and work on it over time, I was not in a rush.

In 2007 my friend bought an 88 GTA, it had the digital dash, came from the factory with the radio controls on the wheel but that was gone, t tops, etc. I fell in love with that dash. It just looked...neat! So in 2008, I bought a 1987 GTA with a 350 that didn't have that dash, but by then, I wanted a TransAm bad.

Now here I am, in 2009...traded the 87 to my friend for his 88, so I finally have my digital dash with t tops, radio controls on the wheel, and a 5 speed trans. Getting ready to take a 305 TPI block to the machine shop to get some work done to it, then I'm gonna rebuild it in the garage and drop it in. I can't wait to get it running good again, it's such a nice car and yes, the rumble out of even the factory muffler is nice, I like it.
Kevin91Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #12
Geeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50
Hey guys and girls.

As a way of perhaps again trying to stimulate some activity...

I'm agreeing with a lot of other people and starting to think we should be wearing black arm bands. Man, this site is becoming like a wake - and since there's no bar service, we can't even have a decent Irish wake....

Reminds me of Michael and Patrick having a pint together again after 40 years. So, Michael turns to Patrick and says, "after all these years of friendship, if I goes before yee, would yee pour a beer over my grave?" Patrick says, "Aye, of course,...but do yee mind if I strain it through my kidneys first?"

Back on topic, so, why do you like the GTA so much?

For me, the lines (as my wife says are h**ney). The rumble (I love how it sets off car alarms). The power (umm), did I mention the rumble

You all do the rest.
I think a lot of the posts that preceded mine tell a tale of love at first site. Me? It's a little different. Although I'd always been a fan of the 3rd Gens, Camaro and Firebird alike, from when they first came out, the only variant I was completely smitten with from the moment of its release was the IROC Camaro. What got me was the swoopy body, the five spoke wheels, the faux louvers on the hood and the colors it was offered in. Work in the NASCAR tie-in with the IROC series itself and they had me hook, line, and sinker. You want a teenage boys dream car? The IROC was it for me. But a dream was all it was. My first car was pretty cool though a '69 Lemans in Midnight Green in need of a lot of work...something that's been the case with every "cool" car I've ever owned.

The constant repair and need of a car that would actually get me back and forth to college meant the Lemans got parked in the middle of my sophmore year and replaced with an '85 Sunbird, BKA "the Turd Bird"

Fast forward twelve years. Short(er) version of the story is this: I have a two seater and a four year old. In addition to a daughter who's better off in a back seat. My hobby car, a '67 Malibu with a 327, a 4 speed and desperate need of a floor pan, did not make the trip out to Pennsylvania form Illinois with us. An '89 RS Camaro that was languishing at a "Buy here, Pay here" lot up the street from me seemed to be the answer. It was a close facsimile of my teenage dream car, same lines, IROC wheels(!), a back seat for my daughter, and not too bad on gas for a 400 mile a week commute, 22 M.P.G., since it was the 2.8 V-6 versus a 5.0 or 5.7 V-8. The range was pretty awesome as well; I got 360 highway miles out of most tanks.

I bought the car and put in the most work I ever had on a car. I replaced hood struts, headlights, front seats, hatch struts, interoir bits, changed the tailights for a set of IROC lights, etc. etc. over the course of four years. Not to mention the work I had farmed out such as replacement of the front bumper cap (with the headlight openings blacked out, the car was getting closer in appearance to an IROC everyday), a new headliner, new front struts, new hatch motor (my install led to a hatch that closed but would not open), and TDS's Wonderbar chassis brace. The car handled like it was on a rail, but that V-6 meant I was losing stop light drags to four door Honda Accords. Also, the Camaro had been replaced as a daily driver by a Hyundai wagon, so the fact it got good mileage on a vicious commute was no longer the benefit it once was. Enter my GTA...I'll have to continue the story on a second post since I've got to pack up and leave for the day. Stay tuned...Geeb
Geeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #13
ned707

Saw one for the first time when I was about 15 (97/98 timeframe). Made a pretty big impression on me right away. Excellent sounding flow master exhaust (350). Was about that time for me to get a car, being in high school and all, so I had my mind on an economical CRX I saw down at a local lot. I went down to check one out. I think pretty immediately I noticed *their white '90 GTA (305),w/60k miles. Put a $100 deposit on it, to let the guy know I was serious, then came back not days later to settle the payment and take it home. She's been a bit of a pain, but I think well worth it in the long run. Currently restoring it to hopefully factory like condition. That is, if I don't keep on breaking things
ned707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #14
Jack's GTA
Love them GTA's

I got my GTA because I was looking for something to fix up. Found it by being at the right place and right time. Guy wanted 800 bucks for it. Didn't even run. Long story short. New computer chip and battery and ran like a champ. One day I hope to restore it with my son Jack. I enjoy this website like many others here also.
Jack's GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #15
TexasRaider
Loyal Reagan Foot Soldier

Re: Why I WILL GET a GTA and why I belong to this site.

OK, no debate on the civility of this site.
I'm on several other boards for other interests (firearms, cartooning, blah blah blah) and without fail at least once or twice a week some acid thrower
baits some knee jerk volcano head into a war of ignorant words.

That is extremely tiring to endure.

This site has some of the best, kindest folk on Mr. Bush's Internets and I enjoy greatly that despite being GTA-less for low these many years,
I am allowed to pour out my goofy opinions without the wearisome "But you don't have one now so shut up!!" crap.

Ever been to some Corvette forums? Talk about elitist alpha-holes.

Anyway, as to why why I want a GTA:

1. It's a Pontiac. I'm a Poncho man 'til I die, government auto czar or no government auto czar. They are the coolest, baddest rides around, all others are in the rear view mirror as far as I'm concerned.

2. I've had other F-body 'Birds and love the ride, the torque and the sleek, saber like look. Not to throw dirt on IROC-Z's, but the Chevy version always looked blocky and awkward.
Pontiac's version always looked like it would be at home on either Woodward Ave., Route 66, Highway 1 or even the Autobahn. It fits in where roads want real cars.

3. The GTA was the top of Pontiac's line and it carried the brand's tradition, gusto and performance with honor. It could back up it's looks with real world guts. It was never a poser.

4. I remember when the 1991's came out in 1990...I saw a dark metallic green GTA sitting on the new car lot looking like some mythical predator waiting to spring forth and rip the throat out of some unsuspecting Mustang GT, Mazda RX-7 or flabby Supra Turbo. When they redesigned that snout for '91 it made the car look 20 years newer...in fact, they still look fresh to me today.

5. Finally, my Dad had a brand new dark pepper green GTO in 1970...and when I saw that brand new dark metallic green GTA in 1990 my first thought was "If they had built my Dad's car today, this would be it!"
Simply put, in some strange way, the '91 GTA reminds me of my Dad...

And that's why I will get one one day.

Last edited by TexasRaider; 05-01-2010 at 08:48 PM.
TexasRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #16
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I really love my GTA because its different than what anybody else has. Every one and their mom has a fourth gen, and if people go classic they always overlook the thirdgens and go to the 2nd gens. Ive never been a fan of the third gens personally, but the GTA is leaps and bounds better than any other thirdgen. The interior is the best out of any 80s car I think, it handles like a racecar, and the body lines are sexy and smooth. The gold cross lace wheels look so good I am in love with them. Its just one hell of a rare, and exotic sexy looking car. Its also got the muscle car exhaust note, with the balls to back it up. When I drive it at night I feel like I am piloting a fighter plane with the digital dash.

Now, I came upon my car by sheer luck. My dad came home one day and said that there was black GTA at the used car lot up the street. When I heard that, I rode my bike 10 miles just to go and look at it. When I got there I was amazed at how clean it was. It wasn't perfect, but I knew it wouldn't be hard to get it mint. Well all I thought about was the car for the next few days. Even my first day at my first job I didn't learn much because I was daydreaming about the GTA. Well as it turns out while I was at my first day at work, my mom and my dad emptied out my bank account and got my grandma to give me a loan for the rest of what the car cost. When my mom came and picked me up at the end of the day she told me that she went to get the car, but someone else had gotten it first. It felt like someone punched me in the stomach, I never told anyone but I was on the verge of tears because I wanted the car so bad... I had sat in it, revved up the engine, stared at it, and daydreamed about it for the past week and I knew I would never be able to find another one like it around there. Its safe to say at that point I wanted nothing else in the whole world more than that car lol. When we pulled in the driveway, my mom opened the garage and there was the GTA, backed in the garage with the parking lights on with my dad wiping down the hood. I couldn't believe such an amazing car was mine, I could have pissed my pants I was so happy. It was already 11 o clock by the time I got home so everyone went inside and I went in too. The next day I got up at 6 o clock and detailed it for the entire day, taking old crusty stickers off the windows, 5 coats of wax, tire shine, the whole 9 yards. Its been 2 years since then, and now I'm almost 18 years old and still love the car just as much as I did then. Everyone gives me shit when I spend a whole day cleaning her up, but I just love it. To be honest I still daydream about my car, I am going to have it till the day I die...

Here are pictures of the car on the dealer lot where I fell in love with it..

You can look in my album on this site for more recent pics of it. Lots of stuff have been fixed, cleaned ect...

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK

Last edited by BigBadGTA; 05-01-2010 at 10:02 PM.
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #17
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987

I did'nt realize that you had a notchback BigbadGTA.
Old 05-02-2010   #18
jediknight13

I fell in with the 3rd gen when I was young(3-6 years old). I remember watching reruns of Knight Rider and thinking KITT was the coolest car in the world. Fast forward to 15 and my dad bought me a '86 T/A. That was the car I learned to drive on. Until I was on my way home form work one night and was rearended. Needless to say the car was totaled. So I looked for another one like it with no luck. Until i found a '92 Firebird 305 TBI. I loved the style and look of that year. I had it for several years till I was t-boned in it by a red light runner. I thought I would never own another with all the bad luck I've had. Then I found the '91 GTA I have now. I didn't know anything about the GTA till I found this sight. I love the info up here, the people willing to help and offer advice. I plan to keep this one and pass it on to my son if he wants it. If not my daughter.
jediknight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #19
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
Re: Why I WILL GET a GTA and why I belong to this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRaider View Post
OK, no debate on the civility of this site.
I'm on several other boards for other interests (firearms, cartooning, blah blah blah) and without fail at least once or twice a week some acid thrower
baits some knee jerk volcano head into a war of ignorant words.

That is extremely tiring to endure.

This site has some of the best, kindest folk on Mr. Bush's Internets and I enjoy greatly that despite being GTA-less for low these many years,
I am allowed to pour out my goofy opinions without the wearisome "But you don't have one now so shut up!!" crap.

Ever been to some Corvette forums? Talk about elitist alpha-holes.

Anyway, as to why why I want a GTA:

1. It's a Pontiac. I'm a Poncho man 'til I die, government auto czar or no government auto czar. They are the coolest, baddest rides around, all others are in the rear view mirror as far as I'm concerned.

2. I've had other F-body 'Birds and love the ride, the torque and the sleek, saber like look. Not to throw dirt on IROC-Z's, but the Chevy version always looked blocky and awkward.
Pontiac's version always looked like it would be at home on either Woodward Ave., Route 66, Highway 1 or even the Autobahn. It fits in where roads want real cars.

3. The GTA was the top of Pontiac's line and it carried the brand's tradition, gusto and performance with honor. It could back up it's looks with real world guts. It was never a poser.

4. I remember when the 1991's came out in 1990...I saw a dark metallic green GTA sitting on the new car lot looking like some mythical predator waiting to spring forth and rip the throat out of some unsuspecting Mustang GT, Mazda RX-7 or flabby Supra Turbo. When they redesigned that snout for '91 it made the car look 20 years newer...in fact, they still look fresh to me today.

5. Finally, my Dad had a brand new dark pepper green GTO in 1970...and when I saw that brand new dark metallic green GTA in 1990 my first thought was "If they had built my Dad's car today, this would be it!"
Simply put, in some strange way, the '91 GTA reminds me of my Dad...

And that's why I will get one one day.

Written as though it was from one of our founding fathers had owned a GTA. Well said.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #20
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Always been a big Knight Rider fan, so when I was old enough to drive, I started looking for an 82-90 Trans Am not knowing much about these cars. Then I stumbled onto this site and was like "What is a GTA?" Did some more research and saw the 91-92 body style for the first time and thought "WOW... that is different and the car just looks so bad-a** and sophisticated" with the new nose and ground effects so I expanded my search to look for those. I saw ad in Autotrader for a Gunmetal GTA with 37,500 miles and no picture back in Aug of 2000. I happenned to leave the link n the computer and my mom saw it. I was planning to go out and get a loan for the rest of the money I needed to buy it (I had half) but my mom ended up getting it for me as a high school graduation gift.

Have never really wanted any other gift since.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote