Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > NON-GTA SPECIFIC > GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA)

GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA) Use this forum to discuss topics of a more general nature.... it can be auto-related on not. Your choice. But above all, please be adult and responsible in your postings.

Old 07-09-2008   #1
TexasRaider
Loyal Reagan Foot Soldier

Cool Hot July...too early for football discussion?

Just to throw a dead cat on the dinner table here, I was wondering what you all might be thinking football wise, college or pro.

Just to start off, I though the The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's article about Brett Favre NOT retiring was interesting, but even more so due to the insinuation about him going to Miami.
Seems they think Green Bay is infatuated with Jason Taylor, and Miami has no experienced QB - a quick trade might be very compelling!
Miami is a team that spent its past two No. 1 picks on a receiver and a blocker and has two solid running backs, dramatically reconditioned physical program and General Patton in Bill Parcells.
I hope Brette does it!

Prediction for the Miami Dolphins: 9-7, no playoffs quite yet, unless we get lucky on one or two games.

College wise, I find, of all schools, SMU fascinating. June Jones took Hawaii from 0-12 in 1998 to 9-4 in 1999! Can he do it here?
He is in a similiar situtation in University Park, and if he can get Justin Willis back under center I think he might surprise some people.
Afterall, they lost many games, I think 6, by less than a TD.

Prediction for the SMU Mustangs: 8-4 and goes to the Texas Bowl in Reliant Stadium on Dec. 20th. (It would be their first Bowl game since, what, 1984?)

Secondly, I think my Miami Hurricanes will do well too, *if* they can get past the evil Florida SatanGators on Sept. 6th.
We have a fairly do-able schedule after that, with maybe the Texas A&M Inbreds being the only real big challenge the next week.
They do get the Virginia Tech Hoaxes in Miami in November, but other than these three I think there are few possible losses.

Prediction for the Miami Hurricanes: 9-3 and goes to the Chik-Fil-A Peach Bowl Bowl in Georgia on Dec. 31st.

So, what are your fearless prognostications?

And, are you....
Ready for some football!?! Woo hoo!

Last edited by TexasRaider; 07-09-2008 at 06:38 PM.
TexasRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #2
Wes

Re: Hot July...too early for football discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRaider

Brett will wilt in the FL sun, the Pats will continue to win and the whiners will continue to whine.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #3
TexasRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
Brett will wilt in the FL sun, the Pats will continue to win and the whiners will continue to whine.
Hmmm...is that bitterness I see, peed on the floor of the forum?

Did someone get incontinent over an unfortunate........loss?

I guess you must have experienced some giant disappointment for such acrid, caustic, negative vibes to emanate from you...

Did um's have a bad February?

Yeah.

That's too bad.

Well, at least 53 other people had a bad February too, so don't worry.

Be happy!

Old 07-09-2008   #4
Wes

Quote:
Hmmm...is that bitterness I see, peed on the floor of the forum?

Did someone get incontinent over an unfortunate........loss?

Oh, thats right...the Pats did lose that game. I almost forgot about that....what with the Celtics steamrolling the Fakers and all......

I stand by my earlier prediction. The pats will continue to win and the "spygate" crowd will continue to whine.

Its a little early for football talk though. I am still waiting for Kobe to answer Shaq's question before I am ready to move on to football.
Old 07-09-2008   #5
TexasRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
Oh, thats right...the Pats did lose that game. I almost forgot about that....what with the Celtics steamrolling the Fakers and all......

OK, now believe it or not, I was rooting for the Celtics this time because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
Its a little early for football talk though. I am still waiting for Kobe to answer Shaq's question.
I despise that sorry piece of purple and yellow dog squeeze named after a stupid Japanese cow.
I wish that scum would swallow himself and disappear forever.

I hope the next question Shaq asks him is "Would you like me to remove my foot from your skinny @$$, now?"

Go Chris Childs! Go, go! Faster pussycat, kill, kill!

Old 07-11-2008   #6
Louvers

It's never too early to talk about cheerleaders

Louvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008   #7
TexasRaider

UPDATE! Re:Hot July...too early for football discussion?

Quote:
Just to throw a dead cat on the dinner table here, I was wondering what you all might be thinking football wise, college or pro.

Prediction for the Miami Dolphins: 9-7, no playoffs quite yet, unless we get lucky on one or two games.

College wise, I find, of all schools, SMU fascinating. June Jones took Hawaii from 0-12 in 1998 to 9-4 in 1999! Can he do it here?
He is in a similiar situtation in University Park, and if he can get Justin Willis back under center I think he might surprise some people.
Afterall, they lost many games, I think 6, by less than a TD.

Prediction for the SMU Mustangs: 8-4 and goes to the Texas Bowl in Reliant Stadium on Dec. 20th. (It would be their first Bowl game since, what, 1984?)

Secondly, I think my Miami Hurricanes will do well too, *if* they can get past the evil Florida SatanGators on Sept. 6th.
We have a fairly do-able schedule after that, with maybe the Texas A&M Inbreds being the only real big challenge the next week.
They do get the Virginia Tech Hoaxes in Miami in November, but other than these three I think there are few possible losses.

Prediction for the Miami Hurricanes: 9-3 and goes to the Chik-Fil-A Peach Bowl Bowl in Georgia on Dec. 31st.

Hey Wes! How 'bout them Dolphins!
HA HA HA HA!

In fact,
Click Here For A Truly Sad Pats Fan's Take On The Miami Massacre!

Seriously, though, no one was more surprised than me, frankly.
In our pick'em at work I had the Patsies destroying the Fins 35-10.

But so far, my above predictions seem spotty at best.
Yes, my Phins are doing better than I thought, and my 'Canes can still *hopefully* go 9-3, but SMU? Yeeeccccchhh.....blew that one.

But this early in the season, there's plenty to gab about, in both college and pro, so let's take a look!

Week 3 in the NFL:
Titans - undefeated!? Without Vince Young (who is currently in a strait jacket) while 128 year old Kerry Collins takes the reins? I guess he got over Romanowski's cheap shot after all...

Colts - 1-2? Peyton looks like he's back playing the Gators again...

49er's - 2-1? TJ O'Sullivan looks like a young Steve Young steve young steve young! (just fun to say that)

Dolphins - Ronnie Brown!? 5 Touchdowns!? How long until the rest of the league figures out that trick play stuff? Hopefully not until late December.

No surprises here: Rams 0-3, Lions 0-3, Chiefs 0-3, Bengals 0-3, Browns 0-3, Texans 0-2.
If it were possible to have all of these teams on your schedule, you could do no worse than 6-9!

Oakland - Al fires a bad coach...wow. And this breaking news just in, the ocean is wet.

Dallas is good, which is bad, Baltimore is undefeated which is a mirage, Pittsburg is 2-1 which is a bigger mirage, the Jets are bad which is good!
And...Ocho Cinco has only 88 yards and no TD's, which is hilarious!

Week 4 in the NCAA:
Miami - My Hurricanes destroyed Texas A&M like the Marines in Baghdad, then laid down like Frenchmen before the NC Tarheel Blitzkreig.
Gad these young players can drive you nuts!!

SMU - I'll say it. I was wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong .
They suck like an 8 pound Orick vacuum. I guess they always will.

USC - DOH! You let a beaver kick your @$$!

Floriduh - DOUBLE DOH! Were you looking ahead? To what? Arkansas? Huh?

East Carolina - OK, they do have one loss, but maybe this year's Boise State? Who cares! I love what they did to Virginia Tech! Beamer got the Reamer!

TX A&M - Hey, they beat up Army! Way to go, Farmers! Maybe you can play the Ladies Coast Guard Auxillary next week!

So! Gimme your take on this year's season!

Oh, and while I am still in the glow of last week and until next week's showdown with San Diego...

GO MIAMI GO !!!

Last edited by TexasRaider; 09-27-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2008   #8
Wes

Re: UPDATE! Re:Hot July...too early for football discussion?

Quote:
Hey Wes! How 'bout them Dolphins!
HA HA HA HA!
Congrats, Texas....very few football fans get to experience their team's most meaningful victory in September. Too bad there are still 13 games left on the schedule.

Speaking of football....this may be the catch of the year

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf,110554

Last edited by Wes; 09-27-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2008   #9
TexasRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
Congrats, Texas....very few football fans get to experience their team's most meaningful victory in September. Too bad there are still 13 games left on the schedule.

Oh, do I detect a bit of bitterness,hmmm?

I'm sure Miami will have plenty of chances to beat other similiar, mediocre teams.

In case you missed any of Ronnie Browns 5 touchdowns, I have a copy of the game I can lend you....

Oh wait, you probably know even more about video taping than I do ...

Just be careful your ol' 'flying elvis' doesn't get goldrushed in San Francisco next weekend! You'd hate to lose to two rotten teams in a row, right?

That'd be tough to explain away....or maybe they ain't so rotten.

Nah, that couldn't be it.

BTW, I thought you'd be happy about Peyton Manning looking more like Ryan Leaf than the Bears Beater he was in 2006....

PS - I dig your video. That dude needs to play for the Hurricanes NOW! Today they couldn't even catch AIDS from Rock Hudson...

Old 09-28-2008   #10
Wes

Quote:

Sorry, Texas, no time to be bitter with the Sox preparing for the playoffs and all.....

I'm sure Miami will have plenty of chances to beat other similiar, mediocre teams.

In case you missed any of Ronnie Browns 5 touchdowns, I have a copy of the game I can lend you....

No thanks. But if you have a copy of Al Bundy's 4 touchdown game I would be happy to take a look at that. After all, that game has more historical importance

Well, there was that time I hid the camera in the girls shower....oh, nevermind

Just be careful your ol' 'flying elvis' doesn't get goldrushed in San Francisco next weekend! You'd hate to lose to two rotten teams in a row, right?

No, they are indeed rotten. C'mon Texas, be serious, If Tom Brady is behind center for that game, the Dolphins are 0-3 and we are not having this discussion.

BTW, I thought you'd be happy about Peyton Manning looking more like Ryan Leaf than the Bears Beater he was in 2006....

I havent really been paying that much attention to football yet this season. I wait until the baseball season is over. Although, the Giants and the Jets will be picking up a whole lotta fans after today

PS - I dig your video. That dude needs to play for the Hurricanes NOW! Today they couldn't even catch AIDS from Rock Hudson...

Last edited by Wes; 09-28-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-28-2008   #11
TexasRaider

Sorry, Texas, no time to be bitter with the Sox preparing for the playoffs and all.....
Oh yeah, they did barely sneak in on a wildcard...I forgot

No thanks. But if you have a copy of Al Bundy's 4 touchdown game I would be happy to take a look at that. After all, that game has more historical importance
How about the 1985 Super Bowl XX Bears - Patriots game, I got that one...

Well, there was that time I hid the camera in the girls shower....oh, nevermind
Hey! I can Paypal you if you can ship a copy Priority Mail in the morning...

No, they are indeed rotten. C'mon Texas, be serious, If Tom Brady is behind center for that game, the Dolphins are 0-3 and we are not having this discussion.
Yes, but the world isn't built on 'if's' - it's built on elves, as we all know...

I havent really been paying that much attention to football yet this season. I wait until the baseball season is over. Although, the Giants and the Jets will be picking up a whole lotta fans after today
Maybe Peyton should be playing baseball, instead....

Last edited by TexasRaider; 09-28-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2008   #12
Wes

Quote:

They won the wild card by 6 games. If that's sneaking in then I guess the Dolphins just "sneaked" by the Pats last week.

You are going back 23 years? I guess thats like Yankee fans wearing those idiotic "Got Rings" shirts when they havent won a damn thing in almost 10 years. Of course, Dolphins fans have to go back much further than that, don't they?
Old 09-28-2008   #13
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

On an NCAA note.... did anyone else see how completely our Razorbacks handled the #7 Texas Longhorns yesterday....?

Gloom, despair, and agony on me..... deep dark depression, excessive misery....

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #14
TexasRaider

They won the wild card by 6 games. If that's sneaking in then I guess the Dolphins just "sneaked" by the Pats last week.

6 games? Out of how many played? 160? Let's see...that kind of dominance works out to about, oh...a whopping 3.75% margin of victory!
Wow! That's even slightly more that the margin of victory by the Patsies in their VideoBowls of '01, '03 and '04! Using Patriot logic, does that mean this year's Red Sox are a dynasty, too?

You are going back 23 years? I guess thats like Yankee fans wearing those idiotic "Got Rings" shirts when they havent won a damn thing in almost 10 years. Of course, Dolphins fans have to go back much further than that, don't they?

Hey hey hey! Don't let a little friendly sports banter get ugly and personal by dragging the Skankees into this!

Geez, why do you have to get mean?

Anyway, onto your comment.

23 years? Maybe.
But I'm not obsessed with the "What have you done for me lately" fairweather fan mindset, like the Panties fans who BOOED their own team last Sunday.

Wow, that was ugly. They turn fast, don't they?

I look at my team, win or lose, as a whole history. We'll get better, every team has down turns eventually.

Like The Patriots, who have a life time record of 366-349-9.
The Miami Dolphins have a lifetime record of 369-267-4.
Yer' around .511. We're around .580.

Lifetime against my Dolphins, your Pattycakes are:
Wins Losses Tie WL% Lifetime Points- NE Lifetime Point-Mia
_35___48__0___.422______1631_________1850

Wow. Looks like you have some catching up to do.

So, you got 3 Lombardi Trophies, we got 2.

You've been in 6 SB's (got embarrassingly crushed in 2, nipped in 1 and skated out with wins in 3)
We've been in 5 SB's (got embarrassingly crushed in 1, bested in 1 and solidy won 2)

It seems both teams are close in historical terms, but we've never been investiagted for cheating, been fined by the league and had draft picks stripped away proving cheating did occur.

We are the only undefeated team in the history of ANY pro sport,
We have the winningnest coach in NFL history, Don Shula with 347 games,
We have Dan Marino, the greatest passing QB in history, with 28 major passing records set (12 having been recently tied or broken),
We won the longest game in NFL history 27-24 (1971 AFC Divisional Game: Game Time Elapsed 82 min. 47 sec.) over the Chiefs,
We were the only team to beat the 1985 Chicago Bears (the greates team in NFL, IMHO),
And we ended the NFL regular season win streak record.
Oh, but you knew that.

So, in a nutshell I don't think any Dolphins fan has any reason to feel embarrassed, or to bow to any other team,
much less a division rival plagued by a coaching staff with questionable ethics.

On Nov. 23rd, well see what happens. By all logic, the Phins should lose, but if we win, you might want to consider both teams have evolving fortunes....

Ours may be going up, yours...well...there's always next year.

Sack #4!
Quoteworthy: "You really don't realize how good Tom Brady is until he's not out there." -- Joey Porter, Dolphins linebacker

I'll give ya' that, Joey....I'll give ya' that.....

Old 09-28-2008   #15
TexasRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieRider2
On an NCAA note.... did anyone else see how completely our Razorbacks handled the #7 Texas Longhorns yesterday....?

Gloom, despair, and agony on me..... deep dark depression, excessive misery....

I know, Frankie, I know. I live in their damn town and all you can hear on Sports radio is UT, UT, UT, UT!

Yeeech..

Do what I do. Be cheery over the Florida Gators dropping a huge one to unranked Ole Miss, in GAINESVILLE NO LESS! HA HA HA!

AND! Remember,...the Texas - Oklahoma Game is only a about 13 days away...the reckoning for Texas' powder puff schedule is about to strike!

Mwahahahahahaha...........

Old 09-28-2008   #16
Wes

Quote:
[B]Originally Posted by TexasRaider

6 games? Out of how many played? 160? Let's see...that kind of dominance works out to about, oh...a whopping 3.75% margin of victory!

Texas, either you know little about a 162 game baseball seaon (which is understandable for someone from Texas) or you just needed to bond with your calculator. I am sure it comes in handy trying to figure out the convoluted BCS system but its fairly meaningless in your argument. With the exception of the AL West, every division was decided by roughly the same 6 game margin. So I guess every team "squeaked" in???
The Angels won a weak division by 20 games. Using your logic, that makes them the most dominant team is baseball. But they only have 5 more wins than the Red Sox and only 3 more than the Cubs.

Wow! That's even slightly more that the margin of victory by the Patsies in their VideoBowls of '01, '03 and '04! Using Patriot logic, does that mean this year's Red Sox are a dynasty, too?

Hey hey hey! Don't let a little friendly sports banter get ugly and personal by dragging the Skankees into this!

Geez, why do you have to get mean?

Anyway, onto your comment.

23 years? Maybe.
But I'm not obsessed with the "What have you done for me lately" fairweather fan mindset, like the Panties fans who BOOED their own team last Sunday.

Wow, that was ugly. They turn fast, don't they?

Are you trying to tell me that Miami fans have NEVER booed the Dolphins!?! Spare me.

I look at my team, win or lose, as a whole history.

I guess you have to when your team hasnt seen the playoffs in 7 years. Why do I doubt that as the clock ticked down on their 1-15 season last year, Dolphins fans were not finding much solace reminiscing about the 85 Superbowl team.

Like The Patriots, who have a life time record of 366-349-9.
The Miami Dolphins have a lifetime record of 369-267-4.
Yer' around .511. We're around .580.

Lifetime against my Dolphins, your Pattycakes are:
Wins Losses Tie WL% Lifetime Points- NE Lifetime Point-Mia
_35___48__0___.422______1631_________1850

Wow. Looks like you have some catching up to do.

So, you got 3 Lombardi Trophies, we got 2.

You've been in 6 SB's (got embarrassingly crushed in 2, nipped in 1 and skated out with wins in 3)
We've been in 5 SB's (got embarrassingly crushed in 1, bested in 1 and solidy won 2)

14-7 is a solid win? How about a few of those wins in 72? 16-14. 24-23. 28-24. 21-17.Seems to me that, under your logic, they squeaked by in a quarter of their wins in 72. Why is it that you seem to be so hung up on the Patriots margin of victory but never when it comes to your Dolphins?

We won the longest game in NFL history 27-24 (1971 AFC Divisional Game: Game Time Elapsed 82 min. 47 sec.) over the Chiefs,

Oh Boy, stop the presses!! Do they close down the FL state offices for the anniversary of that one?

So, in a nutshell I don't think any Dolphins fan has any reason to feel embarrassedor to bow to any other team,
much less a division rival plagued by a coaching staff with questionable ethics.

On Nov. 23rd, well see what happens. By all logic, the Phins should lose, but if we win, you might want to consider both teams have evolving fortunes....

Ours may be going up,

May would be the key word there. Plus, up is about the only place to go given where they have been the last 7 years.

yours...well...there's always next year.

Seems as though that has been the motto in southern FL for a long time now.

.[/COLOR]

SO THERE!!!! My team is still better than yooours!!! Na Na na Na Na.....

Last edited by Wes; 09-28-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2008   #17
TexasRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
SO THERE!!!! My team is still better than yooours!!! Na Na na Na Na.....

Okay, now THAT is a burner. Ow.

Sure, I have pointed out the myth of New England's status as a dynasty, sure I clubbed you with sarcasm about margins of victory,
sure I had fun with tongue and cheek references to Miami 'accomplishments', but did you notice?

NOOOOOOOO! You had to get whizzy and throw around "Na na na's"!

Well, I can understand why people in New England don't understand humor or logic, having elected Ted Kennedy to office 576 times,
but you don't have to pull out the grade school tactical nuke!

Fine! You leave me no choice!
THE PATRIOTS SUCK!!
SO THERE!!!! My team is better than yooooooours!!!
Neener Neener Neener!!

BTW - Honestly. I couldn't care less about baseball even if it meant the cure for cancer. I was just trying to poke at you.....
Old 09-28-2008   #18
Wes

Quote:
Okay, now THAT is a burner. Ow.

Sure, I have pointed out the myth of New England's status as a dynasty, sure I clubbed you with sarcasm about margins of victory,
sure I had fun with tongue and cheek references to Miami 'accomplishments', but did you notice?

NOOOOOOOO! You had to get whizzy and throw around "Na na na's"!

Well, I can understand why people in New England don't understand humor or logic, having elected Ted Kennedy to office 576 times,
but you don't have to pull out the grade school tactical nuke!

Fine! You leave me no choice!
THE PATRIOTS SUCK!!
SO THERE!!!! My team is better than yooooooours!!!
Neener Neener Neener!!

BTW - Honestly. I couldn't care less about baseball even if it meant the cure for cancer. I was just trying to poke at you.....
Thankfully, I live in NH, So you can't blame me for the Ted Kennedy.
Old 09-29-2008   #19
TexasRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
Thankfully, I live in NH, So you can't blame me for the Ted Kennedy.

You have reedemed yourself in the eyes of the most wise master, grasshopper.

Now, just don't vote for the most merciful, on high diety named Obama the One!