Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-28-2007   #1
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Arrow hood insulator

http://www.carmotorsports.com/UHI_GTA.htm
i got mine today all i got to say is man o man, a pimpin part. If you have the means get one.
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #2
Josh

Re: hood insulator

Just wondering...I ripped my hood insulator off because it was ripped in places and looked ugly...does this matter that I don't have one on because I'm not driving this car in the winter so why would there be any need of one....thanks, Josh
Old 08-29-2007   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Well, it will make the car a little bit louder perhaps, and you will lose some protection for the hood on the underside from the engine heat. But the earth probably won't stop turning on its axis or anything if you don't have it in place.

I like the CAR Motorsports parts a lot.... that insulator is nice but that's a lot of dough, too. Personally I'd prefer a logo stuitched in all black to be a little more stealthy. Now that GM has finally dropped these from their parts stock, I'm sure I'll have to buy one sooner or later. I'm down to a single extra one now.... and it's not new.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #4
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

i've taken the insulator off every car i've ever owned
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #5
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

u know frankie i was thinkin the same thing. really didnt think about it when i ordered it, but with i took it out, i was think what would look so good in black with the gold trim. Still happy with it either way
Old 08-29-2007   #6
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

87, I'm talking about the logo stitched in black all over.... to give it more of an embossed appearance.

As for me, I'll probably end up just trying to buy one that is plain.

Old 08-29-2007   #7
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

yea that would look good also, I also was thinking that, just didnt type it, LOL
Old 08-29-2007   #8
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

I hope that I'll be able to get one that'll fit on a LT1 style hood. I like Frankie's idea though...a very subtle look if you're not paying attention.

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #9
Mongoose
Future GTA Owner

I ordered one back in April for the Spring Auto Fair and all I can say is CarMotorsports did not impress me at all. First, their communication was poor. Almost impossible to get an email or phone call returned let alone the tracking info that was promised at time of ordering. Second, they screwed up the order. I ordered one for a GTA to use on my Formula and ordered it with no holes (was going to use their hook/loop tape) and no embroidery (didn't like the 4th gen Formula logo and didn't have 3 weeks to wait) so it would be a simple, clean and black. What I get has all the holes cut into it and arrives the afternoon before the show! Needless to say I was not happy. Finally got a return phone call around 4:55pm the following Monday and let them have it. They were willing to replace it but I wound up having to use it so I said screw it I'm keeping it. The didn't even send the tape in the initial order but sent it later. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice piece but for the money I spent and for what it is I should have received it right the first time. Apparently mine was a freak occurence as everyone else loves them but I have no plans to order from them again anytime soon.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #10
gtayumiko
GTA Member

When these insulations were available from GM, I purchased three of them. One I never taken out of the flat cardboard and the other two I have one of them on the car and the other one off of the car but in the closet just in case I want to switch them. But when they were available, they were very cheap, only about $35.00 or $48.00 each ( I would have to check my receipts.) Now it is incredible how much they cost, even a used one in decent shape. Yumiko
Old 09-05-2007   #11
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Yea man I kinda know what your saying, they are kind hard to get ahold of, i was impressed with my insulator came in like 3 days, havent gotten my mats yet. I also ordered some emblems they were supposed to come with some other things that didnt. Ofcourse I called the guy that answered didnt really sound like he knew what was going on. He said he check and call me right back, that was 2 days ago. So Ill give them till tomorrow and rattle there cage.
Old 09-05-2007   #12
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987

i've seen two catch on fire, i always take them off. they might be fire "resistant" but they aren't fire proof.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #13
Louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
I ordered one back in April for the Spring Auto Fair and all I can say is CarMotorsports did not impress me at all. First, their communication was poor. Almost impossible to get an email or phone call returned let alone the tracking info that was promised at time of ordering. Second, they screwed up the order. I ordered one for a GTA to use on my Formula and ordered it with no holes (was going to use their hook/loop tape) and no embroidery (didn't like the 4th gen Formula logo and didn't have 3 weeks to wait) so it would be a simple, clean and black. What I get has all the holes cut into it and arrives the afternoon before the show! Needless to say I was not happy. Finally got a return phone call around 4:55pm the following Monday and let them have it. They were willing to replace it but I wound up having to use it so I said screw it I'm keeping it. The didn't even send the tape in the initial order but sent it later. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice piece but for the money I spent and for what it is I should have received it right the first time. Apparently mine was a freak occurence as everyone else loves them but I have no plans to order from them again anytime soon.
I am sorry to hear about your experience ... I mentioned in another post ... the guys at Carmotorsports do (what they do) on the side as a part time business. I know one of them is a lawyer and (I think maybe both) and depending on what they are doing with their regular jobs it can make it extremely difficult to communicate with them. Keep in mind that what you ordered is custom made and not sitting in some warehouse and that also adds to the delivery time. It does sound like you had a rough go of it and they should have communitcated a little better. I would still highly recommend them (and I don't recommend very many people) because I know that they are honest and they do exceptional work.

Darrell

My Garage
Louvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #14
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

I've never seen anybody in any business that was not entitled to a screw-up or two. I've never ordered from them yet, but have heard many good stories besides those told here. Let's just hope that experiences like the one Mongoose had do not become the norm; that would be unfortunate. They do offer some distinctive products.

I don't know about that enterprise being a on-the-side business as a whole, but Alan Faircloth is a lawyer, and Rich Van Hof was a pilot for Delta Air Lines the last time I spoke with him.

I had very good dealings with them when I was providing pieces from my collection of GTA emblems for them to use as color samples. I have a whole bag of repro emblems they sent me to check the accuracy of.... and then told me to keep.

Old 09-06-2007   #15
Louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieRider2
I've never seen anybody in any business that was not entitled to a screw-up or two. I've never ordered from them yet, but have heard many good stories besides those told here. Let's just hope that experiences like the one Mongoose had do not become the norm; that would be unfortunate. They do offer some distinctive products.

I don't know about that enterprise being a on-the-side business as a whole, but Alan Faircloth is a lawyer, and Rich Van Hof was a pilot for Delta Air Lines the last time I spoke with him.

I had very good dealings with them when I was providing pieces from my collection of GTA emblems for them to use as color samples. I have a whole bag of repro emblems they sent me to check the accuracy of.... and then told me to keep.
Your 100% correct Frankie ... I got the two of them mixed up. ..... like you said ... everyone is entitled to a screw up every now and then
Old 09-06-2007   #16
Louvers

Oh .... one other note ... I wouldn't buy their wheel cleaner. I don't remember what they call it .... but it sucks IMO of course!

My Garage
Old 09-06-2007   #17
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsonGTA
i've seen two catch on fire, i always take them off. they might be fire "resistant" but they aren't fire proof.
I'd be surprised if they weren't fireproof. When I took mine off, 10 min later, I realized how fiberglass they were. I took it off with bare hands. My hands ITCHED like crazy for the next hour!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.JPG (29.8 KB, 12 views)

5.7/700R4/3.27 M78--4th gen front seats/stock split rear seats--
17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #18
Mongoose
Future GTA Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvers
I am sorry to hear about your experience ... I mentioned in another post ... the guys at Carmotorsports do (what they do) on the side as a part time business. I know one of them is a lawyer and (I think maybe both) and depending on what they are doing with their regular jobs it can make it extremely difficult to communicate with them. Keep in mind that what you ordered is custom made and not sitting in some warehouse and that also adds to the delivery time. It does sound like you had a rough go of it and they should have communitcated a little better. I would still highly recommend them (and I don't recommend very many people) because I know that they are honest and they do exceptional work.

Darrell
I was aware of it having to be made due to the no logo request and it did make it to me before the deadline (barely), I was just expecting better service due to the reputation they have and all the favorable recommendations on the various F body boards. Don't get me wrong the piece is of great quality albeit not entirely what I ordered, I just wish the "screwup" hadn't been my first experience with them.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #19
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Well, about it starting on fire, my opinion is that there was probably stuff on it like a lot of oils and then that started on fire. As for the fiberglass issue, I never had the problem of it itching me, so perhaps it is not exactly the same stuff that is insullation in your house. That one makes me itch but not the insullation under my GTA hood. Yumiko
Old 09-06-2007   #20
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Hey they emailed me last night about my missing stuff, said he was sorry about the screw up, so im happy with them Im like D. atleast they try everyone is allowed there first mistake LOL, so many places just blow u off. Have to admint there quality is second to none so dont mind the wait. Its worth it.